REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby coreyk » November 7th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Thought let you guys know where I come from ... I grew up in Utah and have fished Utah all my life. I learned to fly fish when I was 7 or 8, but the sport didnt really take hold with me until I turned 13. My summers were punctuated by fly fishing trips in Wyoming. I mostly fish the western states around me with a few nice trips mixed-in throughout the year. I'm more of a visual guy so...

Greys River .. I have fished the Greys for 25 years is where I learned to fly fish. I have never missed a summer visit to her.

Even the fish are happy on the Greys.

Me and a SNR Cuttie

Weber River .. The Weber is my home water and I love chasing its browns.
coreyk

Postby meb » November 8th, 2008, 2:10 pm

I'm 54 years old, and I grew up in Long Beach. My father regularly took me hunting, fishing, and surfing. I fished for everything when I was a kid and could ride my bike to local park lakes for bluegills and bass and to the ocean and Alamitos Bay for saltwater fish. Like a few others have already mentioned, fishing for bonito was so much fun (I used a two inch section of a broomstick too trailing a white fly). They would absolutely put up a fight on our "noodle" rods and Mitchell 300 spinning reels. Our family vacations and scout trips often had us fishing in the Sierras or local mountains.

As I got older I spent a lot of time fishing the salt both from shore and blue water stuff. My trout fishing was pretty much limited to a few backpack trips each summer. By this time surfing pretty much dominated my life, but when I went on trips I took a fishing rod to catch some fish for food, so I fished quite a bit.

When I reached the ripe age of around thirty, a few things happened, about the same time, that sucked me in to this addiction of fly fishing: A friend of mine let me try his bamboo rod while we were camping with our families on the Kern. After reading yet another article in one of my hunting/fishing magazines about fly fishing and fly tying, I sent off for one of those old fleece wallet with six flies from Orvis. On my next backpacking trip above Big Pine in the Lakes 1-7 I tied a fly to a bubble and cast it out there still using my "noodle" rod and Mitchell 300, and you know what happened. I caught lots of fish. I needed to know more!!

I was working for PSA airlines at the time and asked a surfing friend of mine if he wanted to take a fly fishing class. He was a pretty avid fisherman already and jumped at the chance. Since we could fly for free, we randomly chose a three or four day course on the Deschutes River with Kaufmann Streamborn where we were fortunate to meet Randy Stetzer and John Hazel. That happened in the early 80s, and I have been regularly fly fishing ever since. That class and those guys got me started in the right direction, and I fished with them every year for steelhead for most of the 80s. I'm still in their debt in so many ways.

My buddy and I spent years exploring and fishing locally from Ventura county to San Diego county. Before computers, we would look at maps and ask around, and we explored mostly in the San Gabriels and San Bernadino mountains fishing the name spots and finding a few great areas that brought us years of fun. We also fished and explored the Kern area and Sierra mountains and lakes. Finally, I was lucky to meet Herb Burton who introduced me to steelhead fishing on the Trinity River in NoCal, and I would make two or three trips a year up there. Herb is a great fisherman who has taught me a great deal and put me on some fantastic fish.

Fast forward to now and I still love fly fishing, although I don't fish as much as I used to. In years past I tied flies almost daily for fun and to get better, but now I mostly tie to fill boxes or for upcoming trips. Almost fifteen years ago I quit the airlines, went back to school to get my teaching credential, and have been teaching middle school in San Clemente for the last eleven years. Today I fish locally regularly, but not weekly anymore, I fish the Sierras quite a bit, I try to take at least one steelhead trip, and I try to take a trip to somewhere new each summer. The last few summers have taken me to Utah, Oregon, and to the McCloud river. I've fished with a few people on this board: Midger, Papasequoia, and Dave D. when he guided on the Kern and hope to fish with some more.

Thanks for this site, it's new to me and this is my first post.

Mark Brown
meb

Postby 1mocast » November 8th, 2008, 7:45 pm

MEB,
Great Bio...Its amazing that the common thread to many of our bios are the love of the great outdoors, meeting fellow outdoorsmen, and bonds that join us...

Welcome aboard and hope you can post some of your trips.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby thtsarumr » November 9th, 2008, 6:20 pm

I grew up hunting and fishing in Arizona. All my fishing was spin and tackle fishing until I was about 16 or 17 when my family and I were up dredging on the N. Fork of the Feather River. My dad asked me if I needed anything from town and I said a fishing pole. When he returned that evening he anded me a brand new fly rod. I din't waist any time so I rigged it up the way i thought it needed to be rigged and hit the water. Boy was all jacked up. I had never read anything on fly fishing, only saw it on t.v once or twice. I was using my backing as leader tied straight to the fly. Laugh but I actually caught a rainbow this way.

The next day I was walking down the road and when this Old Timer passed me in an old pickup truck. He pulled over got out and shouted, "You fly fishin'?" I said yes sir and he ask if he could check out my gear. He corrected my lack of know how in a manner to be expected of a man of his geration would. Gave me two Cortland leaders and palm full of flies and wished me luck. I never saw him again.

From that day on I did what I could to gather information on my new found hobby. I started reading books, seaching the web, etc. I have chucked flys all over the country. I've fished the Pesidential waters in Virginia, freestones in WV, Springs in Pa. I took it one step further by attending a guide school in Colorado and became a certified fly fishing guide. Worked the Roaring Fork, Colorado, Eagle. I love Rocky Mtn fly fishing.

I am currently stationed in Camp Pendleton Ca. and due to my localle the kern is the closest trout waters that I have found. I still consider the Feather as my home waters. One day I will open up my own guide shop and run it with my wife and kids.

I can't wait until I retire.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Chris Kuhn » November 15th, 2008, 8:50 am

Hi My name is Chris. Some of you may know me as Fishingcomic on another board. If I have ever offended anyone there, Sorry. I came by that handle because besides being an obsessed fly fisherman I am a stand-up Comic.

I spent my High School years and several after in Riverside. My mother's house is actually right next to Fairmount Park and I went to North HS. After HS I joined the Air Force and was stationed at Holloman AFB. I was a bait dunker for quite some time while I lived in New Mexico, actually I just did a lot of drinking on the banks of Lake Caballo or Elephant Butte.

I didn't discover Fly Fishing until about 12 years ago when a buddy of mine took me to a cabin, old beat up farm house, near Pine Creek in PA. My first time in the water I was in the middle of a blizzard Hendrikson hatch. From that point forward I was hooked, I immediately went out and spent $300 on equipment and haven't looked back. I am actually kind of obsessed, when I am not fishing, I am thinking about fishing.

I have been living here in NYC for the past 15 years and am now heading back to Riverside for family reasons and would love to meet any guys from the local area.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby norcoastguy » November 16th, 2008, 10:12 am

I grew up in fishing paradise, Crescent City, CA. 20 minutes from the Klamath, 10 minutes from the Smith, 45 min. from the Rogue, on the ocean. Not to mention smaller waters around Nor Cal and Southern Ore. like the Applegate. I thought it was like that everywhere. Most of the summers were spent camping, although looking back I would say we went fishing and just happen to camp as well. I don't remember ever going anywhere to camp that we could not fish. When I became a teen, the camping slowed down but I did fish in spurts here and there. I never fished the ocean until I moved away and returned for visits. Now living in Bakersfield, I found that everything does not look like Crescent City. I really enjoy going back to fish those waters. About 5 years ago, I finally learned to fly fish. I had caught fish my entire life and enjoy a challenge. When I first started, I remember reading that fly fishing is for those who enjoy a challenge more than they do catching fish. It has been fun for me to go back to some of the old waters and fly fish those. I even got to try surf/fly fishing there on a beautiful winter day last Thanksgiving.

I have taken my boys a couple of times, and they are now learning fly fishing. What a gift my father gave to me by teaching me how to fish, and I hope I pass on the gift to my kids. I havent' gotten my daughter to join me yet. At 16, she is interested in just about everything else at this point, but she will come around.

If you have never visited the Crescent City area, you should. I have caught steelhead, cutthroat, planted rainbow, salmon, and all the whle enjoyed breathtaking scenes. I have traveled quite a bit, and still think it is one of the most beautiful places ever created.

I am a Realtor in Bakersfield, and enjoy the flexibility of fishing during the week usually. I enjoy the Kern most of the time as it is close, and I love the Bishop area. Made good friends, many of whom are members here.
That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
Bill
norcoastguy

Postby stanbery » November 17th, 2008, 5:14 am

Bill and Chris

Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby flybob » November 17th, 2008, 7:05 am

stanbery wrote:Bill and Chris

Welcome aboard.

Jon

Ditto!

Hey Chris, glad to see you took the bait! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll: :roll: yeah I know everyone wants to be a comedian!
Boy you must be a riot around the campfire!

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby mleng » November 17th, 2008, 6:50 pm

Hi All,

Found this website through 1mocast's signature. Great site Wildfly! I hope I don't step on anyone's toes, and I'll do my best to contribute to the site.

I started fishing somewhere when I was around 4 or 5 years old when we lived in Portland, Oregon. My Dad would take me fishing on the Columbia River and its tributaries. He'd be fishing for sturgeon while I'd be fishing for salmon. Just to make sure I didn't fall in, he would tie a rope around my waist.

We also had a nice little pond next to our house. In the summertime, I would spend my days catching bluegills, bullhead catfish, frogs and these huge grasshoppers! My Dad and I absolutely loved Oregon, but my Mom couldn't stand the cold weather and we eventually moved back to California. Since then, I've fished quite a few lakes, streams and beaches. I picked up the fly rod sometime back in 1999 and it's been my favorite way to catch a fish! That's about it. I look forward to participating on the board!

Thanks all,

Mo
mleng

Postby rayfound » November 17th, 2008, 7:10 pm

great to see ya here mo-welcome aboard. WRX4LIFE
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby 1mocast » November 17th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Welcome Mo, Bill, & Chris, to our motley crew. mark
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby SJDrifli » November 26th, 2008, 6:08 am

I hail from Tucson AZ, not what I would call a hotbed for fly fishing for trout. My dad was an ocassional fisherman so I was not really exposed to fishing much as a kid. Once I hit high school and had access to wheels, I would blast down south for some serious beer drinking and since I was on a lake, figured I may as well fish. My drinking kept me fishing for several years :lol:

Once I sobered up I decided it was time to get a real job so I ended up Flagstaff at the ripe ol' age of 27. My dad and brother and I went on a vacation in Colorado my first summer in school, and we did a little flyfishing while there. On the way home we stopped in Durango and stayed a night with some friends. His son was a guide on the San Juan and he took us down for the day. I was hooked on flyfishing that day at 10:17am.

To make a long story short, while going to school I flyfished as often as possible. Upon graduation, I moved back to Tucson and taught middle school for 10 years, got married etc. Teaching was not what I had hoped so I got the urge to move. I moved to Aztec NM, and became a guide on the San Juan. We lived there for two years, I loved guiding, but my wife was miserable, not much to do in that town so we decided to move to the Boise, Id area. We love it up here. I still own a guide service on the San Juan, I tie flies commercially, I am one of the Directors for the San Juan River Foundation, a non-profit organization that is dealing with some of the problems with an aging tailwater. I fish as much as I can, which is not enough. And that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks Sasha for turning me on to this site.

Paul
SJDrifli

Postby flybob » November 26th, 2008, 8:08 am

Welcome aboard Paul!

Another Guide in the mix, this site is great!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby stanbery » November 26th, 2008, 8:10 am

Paul

Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby SullyTM » November 26th, 2008, 8:41 am

Here it is...the definitive bio! I sprouted and learned to tie my shoes in the Water, WInter, Wonderland (Lansing, Michigan). I moved to California in 1978 but still have a lot of Mid-West in my blood. Currently, I live in Negativeland...aka: Contra Costa County. When I was 15 I bought a fiberglass fly fishing rod and a cheap reel but never used it...fast forward to the Summer of 2002. With a family vacation to Yellowstone on the horizon I woke one morning with the fly fishing "itch!" Purchased a 5/6 wt. St. Croix rod and an inexpensive reel, some flies and proceeded to make a fool of myself on the water :lol: The trip to Yellowstone wasn't a fishing success, but the sport of fly fishing spawned another addict! In March of 2003 I began tying flies...

I consider myself an average fly angler. Not a great caster...more lost flies in trees than fish to hand...BUT, whenever I'm on, in or near the water I'm one with the "fly!" Yes, catching fish is nice, but for me the journey is the award. My goal for 2009 is to treat myself to a hunt for the California Golden Trout. I'm in the early planning phases of doing a day hike and/or overnight hike to fish for this little beast. Hopefully, there are a few Californians on this board who can assist? :mrgreen:

I pay for my fishing interests by working in the video production industry...Currently, I'm working on programming ideas focusing on fly fishing and tying. The job and the "honey do" kept me pretty busy in 2008 and I didn't do a lot of fishing. But 2009 could be a productive year on the the fly!

Ya never know, until you go!

Later...

Thom

P.S. Yes, I will return to Yellowstone and redeem myself! :lol:
SullyTM

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing