REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A big Thank You to Papasequoia!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A big Thank You to Papasequoia!

Postby Bodhidq » August 7th, 2011, 5:06 pm

I was with the group of students that Papasequoia ran into up in the sierras and am responsible for the wave-after-wave of kids that he ran into. Papasequoia, if you read this, I want to say thank you for talking with me and for giving me the PA and tiny midge rig that you tied. I caught dozens of Goldens on that setup over the remainder of our trip until a big one snapped my line. I appreciate your generosity with your beautiful flies. Also, your wife was kind enough to save my friend Ron's life by calling his wife and wishing her a happy 10th anniversary, which he forgot about before we left on our trip. He is forever indebted to your wife because with out her kindness, he would not have had a place to sleep when we got home :D Thank you also for telling me about this forum as I can already tell it will be a wealth of information in the future.

-Bo
Bodhidq

Re: A big Thank You to Papasequoia!

Postby WanderingBlues » August 7th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Now that's the most classic 1st post ever! Especially the part about your buddy's anniversary. Welcome to the board!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » August 7th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Hey Bo, I'm glad you remembered the name of the forum - welcome! I'm glad to hear as well that those flies worked out so well for you. Did you fish that inlet through the grass? Did you guys take the other trail out, or did you go out the same way you came in?

It was actually nice to see a group of young people backpacking and having fun in the outdoors. I went on my first backpacking trip back in 1967, I was 10 years old and had camped plenty of times, but never backpacked. I had just joined a local boy scout troop and was almost not permitted to go since it was going to be a long trip and I hadn't done it before, but in the end they let me. We borrowed a backpack from the neighbor's son. It was a homemade frame of wood with clothesline rope for webbing to keep it off your back. There was a canvas boy scout pack lashed to it. We climbed a mountain in New Hampshire called Mt. Whiteface. I forget how many of us there were, but probably a similar number to your group (15-20?) Once we hit that mountaintop we spent all the rest of that day, much of the evening and part of the next before we hiked out running all over that place. We were shouting, screaming, jumping, climbing, chasing, yelling - it was a blast. There were two other small groups spending the night up there on that mountaintop as well and I still wonder to this day what they thought and I hope that they weren't too put out. That trip though was hugely important for me - a life changer really. Of all the sports that I do or have ever done, backpacking is the most important to me. There are others that I do more now (like fly fishing) but backpacking remains as the most significant in my life.

I write that much to let you know that while it may have sounded like I was grumbling a bit in my post about the encounter (Nightmare at Marmot Lake) about the 'wave after wave of kids' it really did gladden my heart to see all of you out in the backcountry enjoying yourselves. After my own formative experience as a young man I could never really complain about something like that, even if you had all been camping there the same weekend we were. I can't speak for those grey-haired curmudgeons I was camping with though. :lol:

I also passed on your thanks to my wife. She was happy to help out. I asked if she wanted me to make the call instead of another woman calling someone's wife she didn't know. But she said, no, no, no, she will understand. Glad to hear that it all worked out and that Ron didn't end up having to sleep on the couch! :D Looking forward to your future posts - put up some pictures! Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » August 7th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Hey Bo, welcome to the family!
You were very fortunate to run into Papa, he is one of best ambassadors of our sport! :rockon:
He has a pretty good way with the written word as well, and keeps us quite entertained!
bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby WestlakeDave » August 7th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Now that was a special exchange right there! Papa & Bo, I kinda' think you two are connected for life! And I feel honored to have been able to "evesdrop" on your back-and-forth on the board. Thanks!
Dave.
WestlakeDave

Postby Bodhidq » August 7th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Actually, I was surprised by the LACK of grumbling in your post! I am pretty territorial myself in my local wildernesses and am guilty of whispering some profanities under my breath when I go backpacking and come upon a large group of campers. That being said, I am the Athletic and Camping Director at a small private school in Ojai and I make my living taking kids backpacking. I always hope that our group doesn't intrude on someone's quiet week in the backcountry and when I saw you fishing as we came over the ridge I started sweating. We did take the old trail out and I thank you for the cairns marking the way. I appreciate your childhood backpacking story because that is exactly what I try to expose our students to. Many of them are first time campers and I can truly say that these trips change some of their lives. I don't know if you remember, but there was a kid with a big hat sitting next to me when you gave me the flies. His name is Henry and he is autistic. He had never seen anybody fly fish before and was glued to my side for the whole trip. After you left, he spent the whole afternoon standing in the cold water (fishing the inlet as you said) and unhooking every fish that I caught. He kept exclaiming how beautiful the fish were and he never stopped reminding me that I probably wouldn't be catching anything if it had not been for "..that nice man's flies that he gave you." I responded by telling him that I have some other flies in my box that also could catch fish but he insisted that I had no business fishing anything else and when I finally lost the rig, he told me, " Bo, I'm going to go get warm now because I can't feel my legs and you won't catch another fish without that man's flies." I nearly died laughing! It's these types of experiences that shape young people's lives and I am happy to hear that you understand what it means to them...not everyone does.

-Bo
Bodhidq

Postby stanbery » August 7th, 2011, 11:30 pm

BO

Very nice first poct and welocme aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby John Harper » August 8th, 2011, 7:19 am

Wow, that's such a great story. Congratulations, John.

Does the old trail follow the outlet creek? I saw a use trail on the way out, figured that may be the start?? I've fished the SF up from 1st crossing, but I guess I never got far enough to see where the creek comes down from the lake.

I think I'm headed back this weekend, hopefully the smoke has cleared, I think my lungs finally have.

John
John Harper

Postby Hatch71 » August 8th, 2011, 7:24 am

Bo
Hey man welcome.... This is great place as you can see... I have learned most of what I know on Fly fishing right here... The Guys and Gals on this forum are great.... Welcome again Chris
Hatch71

Postby Papasequoia » August 8th, 2011, 11:34 am

John Harper wrote:
Does the old trail follow the outlet creek? ... I think I'm headed back this weekend, hopefully the smoke has cleared, I think my lungs finally have.

PM sent
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Rob909 » August 8th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Great story!!!!!

Rob
Rob909

Postby lucfish » August 8th, 2011, 3:34 pm

You bumped into the right guy. Welcome
lucfish

Postby beachbum » August 8th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Welcome aboard, Bo!

Jon, good job on helping out. In days past there was a more "we outdoorsman" attitude among folks in the backcountry. Folks gladly helped one another. You left things out at your camp, and never worried about them. Those days are gone, but there are still folks like Jon willing to lend some advice, and helping hand. :rockon:
Set the hook!
beachbum

Return to General Fly Fishing