REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

One More Time...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

One More Time...

Postby Wildman » August 11th, 2011, 4:28 pm

This forum has a unique group of individuals that have come together over the years for a number of reason...some just for the fun of it and some...pulling together to make a difference in someone's life. The wonderful things that we shared to honor Marine SSGT Joe Felix, JR (LU) comes to mind and our ongoing support to efforts like
Casting for a Cure and Healing Waters.

One of our members, Sherry Setina has been engaged in a battle with cancer over the past year. It has been difficult and tough to deal with for her and Rick but she has
quietly been going through treatment. Along the way, new challenges pop up but she has a fighting spirit and is eager to get through all of this and get back on the water with her husband. The prognosis is very good and we look forward to posts sharing Sherry out fishing Rick.

While she was in treatment, she spent a good deal of time in the recliners (there were five or six) at the hospital where the medicine is slowly dripped in. The facility and staff are first rate. They have a big screen TV to watch but you know how that goes when there is a common TV....either all news or Soap Operas. Sitting in those recliners for hours on end gives a person a lot of time to think and It got me to thinking.

How would it be if there were enough portable DVD players (with their own screens)
so each patient in that specific hospital's Chemo lab could have their own available to watch movies...bring their own or whatever they wanted to watch? Stanbery carried a portable DVD player in his truck that he took on fishing trips and that sparked this. They run around $50 the last time Jon looked and that was for Motorola.

Here the proposal: We set up an account (as before, Stanbery will be the bank) and whoever wishes, can donate what they feel and can afford and we donate five of these things to the hospital in Sherry's name for patients who follow. We sweeten the pot by having a raffle that includes a very appropriate rod...donated by Captain Dave (PTFlasback)

Another raffle item: Fishing beads made by PTFlashback as well. They are a take off on Ranger beads and can be used to count anything...in his case, lots of fish. Works for miles....or whatever else you want to count. Unlike Dave, I have never been able to move a "tens" bead but someday.....

Also two fly brand new , waterproof fly boxes. For every S10 you donate, you will get a raffle "ticket". At the end of the project, Stanbery will draw names from a bucket in his garage, and we'll ship you the gift.

Here's the details: What: Buy five portable DVD players for the Chemo Lab in Sherry's name at her hospital
When: Now until the 15th of September
How much?: We need to raise around $300 last time Jon checked
How do I pay: PayPal or check Here's the addresses:

Pay by check to Jon Stanbery
1521 Safari CT
Palmdale, CA 92355

PayPal stanbery@qnet.com

That's the proposal. Once again, we have an opportunity to show our support and good wishes to one of our own to make a positive difference. Once Sherry's treatment is complete, we'll have to put together an on the water gathering where we all can celebrate. I've kicked it off with my donation (via paypal).

Thanks for your ongoing support.

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: One More Time...

Postby RichardCullip » August 11th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Count me in, because I can.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Wildman » August 11th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Thank You, Good Doctor! Richard, you have been a great supporter and mentor....thanks!
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby tomsakai » August 11th, 2011, 8:10 pm

I'm in. Headed out of town (taking daughter to Missouri for college) so will mail a check to Jon next week.
tomsakai

Postby Eric1 » August 11th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Jim great idea and cause. Count me in.
Eric
Eric1

Postby tyingfool » August 11th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Jim,
I'm in. Great idea. I will be seeing Jon before the due date.

Thanks David
Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tyingfool

Postby NorcalBob » August 11th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Count me in!
But only if they only play flyfishing DVD's!!! :rockon: (Just kidding!)
NorcalBob

Postby Wildman » August 11th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Thank you all! What a wonderful group we have here.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » August 11th, 2011, 10:28 pm

I support this.
Bernard

Postby flybob » August 12th, 2011, 6:26 am

Great Idea Jim!

You can count on my support!

$ already sent.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby briansII » August 12th, 2011, 7:15 am

In

briansII
briansII

Postby Wildman » August 12th, 2011, 11:47 am

Thanks, guys. We are blessed to have such wonderful members.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Rob909 » August 12th, 2011, 1:17 pm

In.....Money sent to Jon's PayPal.

Rob
Rob909

Postby fflutterffly » August 12th, 2011, 2:54 pm

I'm in. I'm sending it to Jon.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH