REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Keeping Secrets

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Keeping Secrets

Postby Papasequoia » October 23rd, 2011, 11:56 am

Midcurrent collected a few articles on the importance of keeping some stream locations a secret and the various good reasons behind it. A good collection of reminders - especially for those new to writing about fishing trips on the internet.

http://midcurrent.com/2011/10/23/keeping-secrets/
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Keeping Secrets

Postby fancyboy » October 23rd, 2011, 12:15 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Midcurrent collected a few articles on the importance of keeping some stream locations a secret and the various good reasons behind it. A good collection of reminders - especially for those new to writing about fishing trips on the internet.

You all will never make me talk.
"In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing."
fancyboy

Postby fly addict » October 23rd, 2011, 12:55 pm

Jon,
Can you forward that to Richard Bean?
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby rkfiske » October 23rd, 2011, 1:12 pm

fancyboy wrote:
Papasequoia wrote:Midcurrent collected a few articles on the importance of keeping some stream locations a secret and the various good reasons behind it. A good collection of reminders - especially for those new to writing about fishing trips on the internet.

You all will never make me talk.

Challenge accepted.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Bernard » October 23rd, 2011, 9:31 pm

fly addict wrote:Jon,
Mark

:rockon:
Bernard

Postby Justin » October 23rd, 2011, 10:00 pm

Wow, Well said!!
Justin

Postby 1mocast » October 24th, 2011, 7:05 am

Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby WanderingBlues » October 24th, 2011, 11:20 am

I caught an 8 LB brookie on the Santa Ana River where it goes under the 60 Freeway. Just park at Fairmont Park in Riverside. Lots of 4-6 LB browns and bows as well. Catch limits in 5 casts!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby John Harper » October 24th, 2011, 12:03 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:I caught an 8 LB brookie on the Santa Ana River where it
goes under the 60 Freeway. Just park at Fairmont Park in Riverside. Lots of 4-6 LB browns and bows as well. Catch limits in 5 casts!

Captain Tahoe said he caught several huge GOLDEN trout at that same spot! A SoCal Sierra Slam is possible.

John
John Harper

Postby briansII » October 24th, 2011, 12:32 pm

fly addict wrote:Jon,
Mark

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

briansII
briansII

Postby WadeK » October 24th, 2011, 12:36 pm

I thought you could only catch Crinkle back Browns there! What have they been eating? .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. The people upstream, that is.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby BobK » October 24th, 2011, 2:15 pm

To a certain extent, I agree. But coming to Bishop, fishing Bishop Cr or Intake 2 and revealing the locations only by code names is a little juvinile, don't you think? BobK
BobK

Postby 1mocast » October 24th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Bob,
You are so lucky to have so much water to choose from. And now, some of it is year round fishing.

Some of us live in an area with over 20 million people within an hours drive of some small trout waters.

I don't know about being juvenile...Playing it safe - I am guilty...

Which is your favorite section of Bishop creek? Don't answer that....I don't want to sink a ship... ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby BobK » October 24th, 2011, 8:07 pm

I understand not talking about an area such as those you have down there or many, many other waters including quite a few around here that need protection. I'm just saying that you have areas around here that are for the tourists, the bait guys and families to catch and keep fish and have fun. Waters that are planted with obscene amounts of fish (Mammoth basin lakes) Why only talk in codes about these waters? It happens all of the time on here. There was a 30"+ fish caught and reported on this forum earlier this summer and I was quick to email him asking him to keep the location secret. He was going to all along so I didn't need to ask him. I didn't know this so I chimed in. I hope he didn't think that I was interfering. So after rambling on a bit, I think that there are areas that need to be protected while funneling the masses to other areas. Bob
BobK

Postby Papasequoia » October 24th, 2011, 10:12 pm

BobK wrote:I understand not talking about an area such as those you have down there or many, many other waters including quite a few around here that need protection. I'm just saying that you have areas around here that are for the tourists, the bait guys and families to catch and keep fish and have fun. Waters that are planted with obscene amounts of fish (Mammoth basin lakes) Why only talk in codes about these waters? It happens all of the time on here.

Well, I wasn't going to write anything further on this. I just saw the Midcurrent articles on this topic that comes up frequently and re-posted it here. Not necessarily to start a debate, most people have already made up their minds on the issue. It was more for any newer members to read up on the issue. I would also point out my wording (now all caps and in blue) in the original message.
Papasequoia wrote:Midcurrent collected a few articles on the importance of keeping SOME stream locations a secret and the various good reasons behind it.

However, I would take issue with your statement, Bob, that "it happens all the time on here." I think that that is a fairly judgmental statement, for several reasons. First of all, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use code names for Bishop Creek, Intake 2 or the Mammoth Lakes basin lakes. And even if they did, that is THEIR decision, and how THEY feel like writing up their trip report. Perhaps it is overkill on waters that are heavily stocked, but so what? Better safe than sorry my old girlfriend used to say. Of course, she was talking about condom usage, but I think it applies here. :D I read trip reports to read about the trip - not to find out the locations.

Secondly, part of the time, even much of the time, using a code name for a river, stream or lake is just having fun with it. If I write a report about a river that is controlled by the LADWP and how it appears to rise every time I visit it, and I call it "The Big Reedy" and some dipstick with a pickup full of spin rods, salmon eggs and coolers full of Bud Light can't figure out where I'm talking about then they need to spend juuuuuuuuust a smidge more time on research, or with boots on the ground. Or here's a thought - they can walk up to any store that sells fishing gear, from David's fly shop to Kittredges in Mammoth and see not only the names of all the local waters (no code names included) but what the fish are biting on. Why should I advertise so that these "tourists, the bait guys and families [can] catch and keep fish and have fun" as you put it?

There are plenty of "catch and kill" forums out there, plenty of them, and one can get all of the information they want about locations on these sites. There are also plenty of fly fishing forums that promote catch and release, but also name names, not just of the Bishop Creeks of our area, but all the tiny, unstocked streams too. I am very happy to be a part of a forum that not only strongly promotes catch and release fishing, but where the members err on the side of caution when it comes to naming locations. I don't know if it "happens all the time on here" or if it does, if that is a bad thing.

So, I must politely disagree with your point of view, Bob, sorry. I read trip reports to read about the trip - not to find out the locations. I don't care if a code name is used, if the water in the report is named (assuming it is a stocked river or lake) or if the name is just omitted altogether - it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the report, the pictures, etc. Some newbie posted a report on here last week about a river in Texas that was a great report. Well written, great pics, big fish. What do I care what the name of the river is? In fact, at first I thought he was writing about the Kings (oops, I mean the Royal River, a code name that has never been cracked until now). :lol: Did I feel cheated to find out that it was a river in Texas? No. Did it detract from the report? No. It was a great report, just as it was written. I guess I just don't see the point in NOT keeping the lid on locations. Some nights there are literally hundreds of "guests" reading this forum - in my opinion they can find out where to fish elsewhere - other forums, lots of books, friends, fly shops, outdoors stores, etc. etc. etc. I just want to read about the trips, not find out where they are. But, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, and as I am also rambling (and repeating myself) I will just end it there. Please note that I am just disagreeing with your opinion on this issue and it is nothing personal. Furthermore, in the spirit of fly fishing companionship, I hereby swear that the next time I fish Bishop Creek, Intake 2 or one of the lakes in the ML basin that I will name it in my report, (but don't expect me to name Volcano Creek - no one's ever going to crack that code!) :D Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing