REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Dodder River Dublin Ireland

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Dodder River Dublin Ireland

Postby Shane » November 14th, 2008, 5:45 am

I posted some of these on the other board. This little river runs through Dublin and empties into Dublin Bay. It starts up in the Wicklow Mountains and I here fishes well the closer you get to the hills. Its a shame but its dirty...not chemical dirty but people dirty..wrappers,bottles,shopping carts?? etc. But it holds fish and they take dries almost every afternoon. Trick part is its a 6 minute walk from my front door to the run where they have dinner every night....Nymphs good to when they are not eating off the top 4wt and 5X is a good time but I want a 2wt for 2009. I fished the West coast this year a little and Salmon fishing on the fly is big here ....next year I guess.

Image[img]
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... GP0763.jpg[/img]ImageImageImageImageImage
Shane

Re: Dodder River Dublin Ireland

Postby Shane » November 14th, 2008, 5:46 am

Sorry for the picture scatter....my first time ....will try and stay focused next time.......

SW
Shane

Postby Flyjunkie » November 14th, 2008, 7:04 am

Ken @ the Spot's childhood stompin' grounds.... Looks like a Great time.... 8-) 8-)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby rayfound » November 14th, 2008, 7:20 am

Nice, didn't expect the Bow in the mix.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Eric » November 14th, 2008, 7:38 am

Shane you sure that wasn't the San gab. ;) Seems that if you fish waters in a city trash you will get :twisted: I like the middle set of pics. Wonder how old that bridge is?
Thanks for the report and pics
Eric
Eric

Postby midger » November 14th, 2008, 7:40 am

Nice!
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Shane » November 14th, 2008, 8:03 am

The Rainbow is a pond dumb Fishery fish.......I saw this sign and went down a long road ( very narrow over here ) and this place popped out. They have two Trout ponds and two Carp ponds ( David you would be in heaven with the Carp ) 15 euros for the day stripping flies and wearing these guys out.....arms got tired before my brain did. Located out in the country on the way to Shannon from Dublin...

I can find out how old the bridge is its usually marked on it someplace....late 1700's usually..
Shane

Postby flybob » November 14th, 2008, 10:51 am

Love the browns, Shane!

Thanks for taking us there!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby darrin terry » November 14th, 2008, 10:57 am

Nice, still waiting for the Irish pub girls though. ;)

I'm not kidding. Really. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby thtsarumr » November 14th, 2008, 11:49 am

Good deal. Is it just me or do European strout seem to be shaped different. Especially browns. they look more like a Mackrel with spots than trout. I don't know, thats just what I think when I see fish posted in my Europe fly fishing magazines.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby rayfound » November 14th, 2008, 12:50 pm

thtsarumr wrote:Good deal. Is it just me or do European strout seem to be shaped different. Especially browns. they look more like a Mackrel with spots than trout. I don't know, thats just what I think when I see fish posted in my Europe fly fishing magazines.

I definitely think that browns have a different head-shape than Bows, but I can't say I think those Irish Browns look any different from local browns.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby thtsarumr » November 14th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Maybe its just been a while since Ive caught a brown.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Sasha » November 14th, 2008, 2:08 pm

Great report, but I am with Darrin I want to see the Irish pub girl pics too :lol: ;)
Sasha

Return to General Fly Fishing