REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Changes to striper regs.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Changes to striper regs.

Postby lucfish » November 13th, 2011, 5:27 pm

I sent my striper report to John Sherman who is the Simms rep. for the west coast and he replied with proposed changes in the regs. for the striper. I'm not sure if this has been posted before and if it has I apologies, but this should be at least looked by concerned anglers. Bob or Brian I'm sure is up to snuff on this, if you could let me know what you know I would appriciate it.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the report.. All of us that Love to fish for Stripers need to be aware of the proposed DFG changes to our Striper Regs..

See the link below.. This is basically a striper eradication plan fueled by water brokers in the West San Joaquin Valley. This effects ALL of California's waters even those without endangered Salmon and Delta Smelt..

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/11/0 ... -location/

I just attended the meeting in Rio Vista on Wednesday night and 400 angry anglers from all segments of the fishing community were ALL in opposition to the proposed changes..

More to come on what we can do.

Thanks,

John
lucfish

Re: Changes to striper regs.

Postby NorcalBob » November 13th, 2011, 8:23 pm

I think Brian has a big post ready to roll on this topic. Stay tuned.
Basically, the DFG has been sued by the water barons and the terms of the settlement require DFG to recommend a change in the sport regulations for stripers to the F&G Commission. DFG has proposed changing the limit to 6 fish with a 12" minimum size limit (from the current 2 fish 18" minimum).
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » November 14th, 2011, 10:51 am

NorcalBob wrote:I think Brian has a big post ready to roll on this topic. Stay tuned.
Basically, the DFG has been sued by the water barons and the terms of the settlement require DFG to recommend a change in the sport regulations for stripers to the F&G Commission. DFG has proposed changing the limit to 6 fish with a 12" minimum size limit (from the current 2 fish 18" minimum).

Please, don't wait on me. Even after the info I am waiting for comes out(possibly today), It may be a while before I post something.

DFG wants to decrease the numbers of striped bass. They THINK, but do NOT know, it will help the salmon and steelhead population. I've heard the words, "not knowable" used by the DFG regarding their proposal. We(fishermen)feel this is just a scapegoat, and ploy to distract from the real problem. Water exports.

There are lot of back stories floating around, but for now I'll be repeating what Bob just said. DFG has written a proposal to change the regs, but the F&G has to accept the proposal for it to go in effect. The limit goes from 2, to 6. Possession goes from 2, to 12 a day. There is something DFG calls a "hot spot" which is Clifton Court Forebay(the forebay for the aqueduct pumps), which allows a 20 fish limit, and 40 in possession. They are also proposing harvest in the Carmel, Parajo, and Salinas rivers, when the fishery would otherwise be closed. Size limitations go to 12 inches, down from 18 inches.

I'd like to stress, this is just a proposal, and it is not a done deal. The F&G meeting to consider the proposal is in Dec. The folks at the forefront of this fight are asking us to battle this with a letter writing campaign. When more info becomes available on that, I'll be posting it.

briansII
briansII

Postby rayfound » November 14th, 2011, 12:29 pm

I wonder if they have any data on how limits have changed the fisheries in the Colorado system. As I understand it, Nevada has gone to a no limit, take as many as you want. Has this had an impact on the population of whatever fish they are attempting to protect there?

I don't know enough about the ecosystem either there or the Delta, but I have to assume that there would be SOME parallels to be drawn for consideration.

To say its unknowable is a red herring. It lets them do this to the stripers NOW, while "waiting to see what happens". The rest of the world agrees on what the problem is: Salmon/Steelhead need WATER. Cool Clean water.

Less predation might help some (though you buys surely know more than I on how prevalent Striper/Smolt predation is), the answer to get a better Salmonid fishery recovery isn't improving survivability of the marginal numbers of juveniles you have, as much as it is trying to get an order-of-magnitude jump in the number of juveniles in the system (you do this by expanding the system... More water in more places).

/Rant over.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Trootfisher » December 15th, 2011, 5:28 pm

the link to the "slide presentation from the public meeting" on this page has some more info:

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/11/1 ... -february/
Trootfisher

Return to General Fly Fishing