REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

You Gotta Love REI!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

You Gotta Love REI!

Postby flybob » November 14th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Did not know where else to post this, so, Craig if you want to move it, OK by me.

About two years ago I bought my third pair of Merrill Light Hiker shoes from REI, my third because the last two were so dang good! Well after the first 10 mile hike, I noticed a few threads on the toe support had busted, figured I had scraped them on a rock or something, no big deal. After the second ten miler, more of the threads were going, and this one was just dirt road, no boulder hopping. Well long story short, after only four trips of less than 30 miles total, the toe supports were coming undone and sand and gravel were now making it's way into the boot. I was at a total loss on what to do, I went to a couple of shoe repair shops and all they do is re-sole!

I suspect that manufacturing has gone to China, I think the thread they are using is really garbage, what good is triple stitching if the thread is faulty!

Today, I went to REI with the boots, no reciept in hand. I went to the customer service gal, Byrn, and explained my sitiuation, she asked me what I would like to do, I said repair would be fine, but she stated that they only did re-soleing. She looked up my account and said that I had purchased the boots in June of '06, wow, and how much I paid for them, she told me that I could go pick out another pair or get store credit for the purchase! WOW, after two years and with no Manager approvals!
I went to the shoe dept. and picked out a much better designed pair for a few bucks more. This new pair is designed by Keen and has a wide bonded toe instead of stitched, I put them on, climbed up and down the ramp and knew that they would work out just fine.

I am so happy with their service, I have been a member since 1987, I will be a member for life!
Now THAT is the way to do business!
One Happy REI cutomer,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: You Gotta Love REI!

Postby DubL HauL » November 14th, 2008, 7:48 pm

right on!

I've noticed KEEN has some nice looking boots. I have a pair of the sandles with the rubber toe and have just about killed them after 2.5 years they are great. Only complaint is once I get sand in them it stays. I also had a pair of the Simms/Keen wading shoes/boots and really liked them although they only lasted a year and Simms no longer sells them :cry:

REI has a great policy

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby flybob » November 14th, 2008, 7:56 pm

DubL HauL wrote:right on!

I've noticed KEEN has some nice looking boots. I have a pair of the sandles with the rubber toe and have just about killed them after 2.5 years they are great. Only complaint is once I get sand in them it stays. I also had a pair of the Simms/Keen wading shoes/boots and really liked them although they only lasted a year and Simms no longer sells them :cry:

REI has a great policy

Andy

Andy,
If they are the same Simms/Keen shoe I am thinking of, I just bought a pair on Sierra Trading Post, got them for 50% off list!

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby thtsarumr » November 14th, 2008, 8:27 pm

I love REI. I purchased all my camping gear there when I was in Iraq. Got everything the family needed. They hooked me up with all kinds of discounts.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby RSetina » November 14th, 2008, 9:11 pm

They do treat their customers right. And you might get those shoes at a discount at the members only sale. :D
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby anacrime » November 15th, 2008, 12:28 am

yeah rei is great with that. i've taken a couple things back no questions asked. backcountry.com is the same way too
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby fflutterffly » November 15th, 2008, 6:46 am

My advice: when they do go on sale buy another pair. I've got a pair of Gortex boots I used to shoot 3D in; rain, snow, sand. They are now wearing out and I just can't replace them. Stupid me.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Return to General Fly Fishing