REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Night fly fishing

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Night fly fishing

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 15th, 2008, 12:56 am

So, I'm kinda stumped about fly fishing at night. Put aside all leagal aspects of night fishing, what is it that attracts a fish to your fly at night??? I mean they can't see it right, and definately cannot smell it. So what is it that gets their attention, and what colors should you use if that even matters. Any tips or tricks?
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Re: Night fly fishing

Postby thtsarumr » November 15th, 2008, 3:21 am

Mike,

Trout can see just as good if not better at night than during the day. The reason is that the sun plays on differend planes during the day. Remember that trout see at about a ten degree, stacked segment during lighted conditions based on the position of the sun. Example:

You approach the stream early in the morining close to if not on the bank or in the water wading during low light. Where the fish is positioned in the water column; it sees in ten degree intervals. Say knees to chest, chest to head to stripping guide, guide to rod tip. The less angle the sun puts on the water the smaller spectrum of light determines the availability the trout will be able to see you stacked upon yourself. Also take into account the water your fishing. Slow water = less breakup of the ceiling above, faster water water breaks up the surface view more. ( Spring creeks/slow water allows trout more time for inspection, fast water the opposite). The more light directed on the water surface the wider and higher their field of vision. Thus the theory when the sun is at your back stay low and in the shadows to conseal your profile. During low light light or at night the fishes field of view and plane of the ceiling above is reduces. ( think of how a fly sees multiple objects with in accordance of each lense). You don't see alot of flys buzzing around at night because the amount of light isn't sufficient for optimal vision. Same with a trout even though a trough isn't multioptical. The thing with fish at night is that the surface of water is basically a black sheet overhead. Which is why streamers such as big leech patterns are prime during darkness, because the light shining through the water allows the fish to see pretty much on an even plane of vision below the ceiling( Just above or below eye level). Also fish are very aware during high light periods of the day. Sunlight directly above the water exposes fish to predators,(feeding on the surface) which is why most surface activity is morning and evening and subsurface mid day. Of course there are exceptions to this. Lets remember that we are dealing with thousand of years of evolution and our theories and guestemates could be completely wrong and everything boils down to plain old fishing. Hope this helps.

Blu

Blu
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby anacrime » November 15th, 2008, 7:48 am

good info blu 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 17th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Thanks for the info Blu, I was under the impression that since it's dark, the couldn't really see therefore the would rely on other senses such as sound. vibration, and/or smell.

But what you're saying is that they still hunt using their eye sight, amongst other senses.

What about the color of underwater patterns? Would you use something like white? Or a darker color?
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby darrin terry » November 17th, 2008, 3:26 pm

From what I have read and heard, color can be important. The last colors to disappear as the light fades are blue then red and last purple. So in low light, those should be the colors you look to. Of course black at night for the best silhouette. This is all stuff I have read or listened to in podcasts/videos, not personal experience.

Just you keep that in mind. I am the parrot, just repeating what I hear. No real wisdom on my part. ;)
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Hammer » November 17th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Can't speak about night river fishing but my crazy buddy and I fish lakes/res at night in float tubes during summer and fall.
My best advice is right at dark you can't beat a muddler minnow on the surface with floating line. A steady 10 in strip parallel to shore and they will crush it.

When it's dark we've had our best luck with black buggers trolled slowly on sinking or intermediate line. We don't do too much casting when using bead or cone heads for obvious reasons. Fish seem to hit better with a partial moon rather than no moon. I think Darrin is right about the silhouette thing.
Hammer

Postby Bernard » November 17th, 2008, 4:28 pm

Depending on regs, this is a fun activity.

A few thoughts come to mind.

- Brown trout are nocturnal. Hmmm need I say more?

Ok ok ... some others ...

- Sometimes while backpacking it gets dark early. Sometimes it's 11 pm and I awake from a good long "nap" and being a stone's throw from the water find myself drawn to it in a zombie-like stupor and casting streamers. It brings me joy. Try it.

- I recently did a trip and found unusually strong moonlight. brighter than I have ever encountered in my life. I thought my fishing buddy was shining a light on my face to torment me and I awoke alert and refreshed. You could have read a book by this light. You could have thrown a size 18 black ant 60 feet and still been able to see it. It was so bizarre that I went for a walk for the * of it and gathered firewood and called for bears and lions. Were we closer to the key hog spots, I would have made some casts. I don't even care if the heavy moon threatens the bite; it's just FUN!

- Oh let's not forget, Brown trout are nocturnal.

Again, check the regs carefully.

B.

Bernard

Postby Chris Kuhn » November 17th, 2008, 4:37 pm

When John Wilson in Arkansas goes fishing for big browns from what I have read he does it at night. But I think he uses streamers. Although I could see how on the right stream a mouse pattern would be effective. While the fish maybe able to see, we cannot and it would be hard to see the strike and set the hook if the fish were sipping midges.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby flybob » November 17th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Bernard wrote:Depending on regs, this is a fun activity.

A few thoughts come to mind.

- Brown trout are nocturnal. Hmmm need I say more?

Ok ok ... some others ...

- Sometimes while backpacking it gets dark early. Sometimes it's 11 pm and I awake from a good long "nap" and being a stone's throw from the water find myself drawn to it in a zombie-like stupor and casting streamers. It brings me joy. Try it.

- I recently did a trip and found unusually strong moonlight. brighter than I have ever encountered in my life. I thought my fishing buddy was shining a light on my face to torment me and I awoke alert and refreshed. You could have read a book by this light. You could have thrown a size 18 black ant 60 feet and still been able to see it. It was so bizarre that I went for a walk for the * of it and gathered firewood and called for bears and lions. Were we closer to the key hog spots, I would have made some casts. I don't even care if the heavy moon threatens the bite; it's just FUN!

- Oh let's not forget, Brown trout are nocturnal.

Again, check the regs carefully.

B.

Ahhh B and Browns and the night,

go together like flybob, martinis and cigars!

Nice stuff there B!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby meb » November 17th, 2008, 11:58 pm

Here's what I have to say about it. Pick out a likely hole or pool during the day and take a trial run of how you're going to get to the spot where you're going to fish from while it's light. It may be a good idea to practice a few casts or drifts to get a feel, especially if you're planning on breaking out the ultimate dry fly- the mouse pattern with the cute ears, tail, and eyes. Because.. when you try and do all the normal stuff you do during the day, like walk down to the water, cast, control your line when it's really dark, it's hard. I'd probably bring a wading staff and a friend.

Like Bernard said, brown trout are nocturnal, and the bigger they are the more they need to eat. They will come into some very shallow water under the cover of darkness. My experiences targeting them at night have been memorable, not always successful, but things happen. I hope to do it again, it's the staying awake that kills me.

Good luck,

Mark
meb

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 18th, 2008, 12:04 am

Thank you all for the clarification guys, I really appreciate it. I ask, because lately my friends have been bait dunking the aqueduct at night, and I haven't gotten myself motivated enough to do so because my brain was telling me they can't smell, see or feel the vibrations of the fly so why go?? Now I know I can still be successful, well, maybe, but at least I'm no longer ignorant of fishing in the dark. Only thing I knew before this post was the legal aspects of doing so. Now I can also use this info for trout fishing as well ; )
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Flyjunkie » November 18th, 2008, 9:19 am

Night time fishing for Stripers Back east is usually when the Really Big Stripers are Caught... The Sunlight causes them to stay deep and Flyfishers rarely catch the Big Stripers during the day time (unless it's First light or it's Overcast.. then one stands a Good chance).

Poppers and pretty big ones at that, work very well.. providing You retrieve them slowly along, just enough of a Pop to let the Fish know where the Popper is ~ a Fast, constant retrieve isn't as effective. Also, a Black & Purple Deceiver or Bucktail Deceiver (#3/0 - #5/0) is a fine choice as well.

As we don't really get the Striper Numbers along the Southern California Coast as they get up Monterey and San Fransisco way, I've often thought that a Night time Surf outing might let me Catch a Local Surf Striper... I've cast to Local Surf Stripers but haven't caught one...Yet..

The Regs state that in the Sierra District, one can fish until 1 Hour after Sunset.. so that would really limit any attempt at Nightime fishing for Browns... But other districts don't mention anything about no Fishing in the night... It is certainly worth investigating more.

I'm going to arrange afew Night time Surf Outings just to see what happens... at Beaches I've Fished alot during daytime hours so I'll be somewhat familiar with the lay of the land.. I even have a Pair of Yellow lensed Sunglasses for Night time/ Low Light conditions...

I've gotten to some Beaches really early in the Past and have been Fishing in Totally Darkness.. stripping Streamers looking for rumored WSB cruisin' the nearby Reef... You are Very aware of Your casting and actually are focusing on it intensely (something to do with the lack of sight I'd guess). You feel the flyline moving along the bottom or bumping into stuff... And then there was that Arm jarring take.. a Fast Strip Strike, but No connection with whatever grabbed the fly... Wow!!! What could it Have Been????

I'm diffenently Gonna go try a Night time Session along a Beach sometime soon.... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Benny » November 18th, 2008, 10:11 am

Most fish have lateral lines which are used to detect movement and vibration and to locate prey. If you take a look at Bernards' second photo of the his brown, you can sort of make out a faint lateral line on the side of the brown ;)
Benny

Postby briansII » November 18th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Benny wrote:Most fish have lateral lines which are used to detect movement and vibration and to locate prey. If you take a look at Bernards' second photo of the his brown, you can sort of make out a faint lateral line on the side of the brown ;)

....and for what it's worth, that lateral line area of the fish doesn't taste very good.....imho. It's usually darker meat, and much stronger tasting. Blech!

briansII
briansII

Postby stanbery » November 19th, 2008, 3:27 am

In Inyo county you can fish 24/7 just to let you know Mike.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing