REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Backpacking Stoves

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Backpacking Stoves

Postby Papasequoia » December 4th, 2011, 9:55 pm

87TT wrote:Our last trip this year in Oct. I was able to steam bake biscuits and gravy, chicken and dumplings and cake deserts. I actually carry it in my daypack everywhere. Makes a great streamside or tailgate lunch in the field.

I think you need an outside opinion of how well this food turns out. Please let us know the date and location of your next backpacking trip. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby fishabuoy » December 5th, 2011, 12:52 am

I'm in the jetboil camp. Nearly all my backpacking trips lately are really bike camping (pulling a trailer) and the packing is secondary to the fishing which is the main attraction. I pack full float tube gear for fishing low elevation lakes at a Bay Area Park, and the stove, pot/cup, and fuel weigh in under a pound for most of my trips. Compared the the 40+ pounds of other crap I'm carrying - seems pretty light.

The stove is dang fast at boiling water, which is how I eat on back-country trips....too busy fishing to make time to cook ...I'm up, boil water for coffee and oatmeal...fish for 12+ hours, come in AFTER dark usually...boil water - eat tin-foil meal...repeat..... Jet Boil is awesome for that task. Like others have said - probably not gonna be the best choice at elevation or in more extreme temps. I'm usually at 3K feet or below. I have had it in near freezing temps and it worked fine, albeit a tad slower to boil....

For years prior to that I used a GAZ ultralight that used canisters too with the problems at elevation and temps inherent to the design

Prior to that - a classic - the Svea one that ran on liquid fuel that you'd have to set on fire to prime?!?! That was quite awhile ago - like 30-40years ago in scouts, up to my 20's.

mmmm has me wanting to go to that place now all this talk about camping - MONTHS to wait for that....hmmmmpf! :doh:

best-
Bob V
fishabuoy

Postby rkfiske » December 5th, 2011, 7:58 am

87TT wrote:Only thing I didn't care for because it quit working was the petzel ignition. I always carry two or three sources of fire anyway.

I'm not sure if you have tried doing this, and I do recommend you be careful doing so, but I bent back my igniter from the main body of my giga stove and the increased arc length of the ignition seems to have greatly helped its ability to fire up. Of course, I still have to light it with a lighter from time to time, but it's something to think about trying!

Benny, I agree with most sentiments here. Canister stoves are really your best bet for reliable and quick cooking. If you're a DIY kind of guy, the alcohol stoves are really fun, and there are some interesting designs out there, but they can definitely be finicky. Burned myself several times putting out the flame, and is a little dangerous since the flame is invisible in any kind of bright light. Ray has a jetboil and never forgets to remind me on trips when his food is already being cooked and I'm still waiting for mine to boil. They're really fast and efficient, just a little on the heavy side is all.

If you can wait until after christmas, I would look around for deals on stoves, especially the jetboil. REI last year liquidated them for like 20 or 30 bucks off, and sport chalet often has good sales after the holidays. Something to think about!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby flybob » December 5th, 2011, 8:03 am

fishabuoy wrote:
Like others have said - probably not gonna be the best choice at elevation or in more extreme temps. I'm usually at 3K feet or below. I have had it in near freezing temps and it worked fine, albeit a tad slower to boil....

Jet Boil works fine at 12,000! Only thing you have to remember is that water boils at a lower temp, (about 189 F @ 12K) so just adjust your soak times for your dehydrated foods.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby lucfish » December 5th, 2011, 8:45 am

Papasequoia wrote:
87TT wrote:Our last trip this year in Oct. I was able to steam bake biscuits and gravy, chicken and dumplings and cake deserts. I actually carry it in my daypack everywhere. Makes a great streamside or tailgate lunch in the field.

I think you need an outside opinion of how well this food turns out. Please let us know the date and location of your next backpacking trip. :lol:

Exactly what I was thinking. ;)
lucfish

Postby stevekiley » December 5th, 2011, 8:56 am

i am still using a svea stove i got back in 72,still works great,i guess im old school.steve
for more info on my rods http://stephen-kiley.u.yuku.com/
stevekiley

Postby 87TT » December 5th, 2011, 10:43 am

Papasequoia wrote:

We may have to plan something. You can teach me more about FF and I'll give you cooking lessons. But fair warning, it will ruin you for packaged backpacking meals.
87TT

Postby RiverRat » December 5th, 2011, 11:53 am

I usually hike with my kids or Scouts and love my Jetboil. Fast and easy using the Sumo cup for three people and Titanion solo cup when alone. The Titanium system only weighs 8.5 ounces and the morning coffee is ready before I'm done burying the morning's cathole :comfort:

shane
RiverRat

Postby Rob909 » December 5th, 2011, 11:59 am

87TT wrote:
Papasequoia wrote:

We may have to plan something. You can teach me more about FF and I'll give you cooking lessons. But fair warning, it will ruin you for packaged backpacking meals.

Yah Jon......take some cooking lessons why don't ya :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Rob
Rob909

Postby L. Ben Doe » December 5th, 2011, 12:44 pm

10 years on the MSR Pocket Rocket. It's small, compact, and great for boiling water in my mini kettle. However, when I'm cooking up a big pot of chow for a group of 4 guys, it can get a little wobbly.

I would actually like to get away from cooking in the backcountry. It seems like too much of a hassle for mediocre food. It was fun at first, but now I'm over it. Fewer pots, pans, and fuel cans = more rods and flies!
L. Ben Doe

Postby anacrime » December 5th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Backpacking stoves are like buttholes. Everyone has one and everyone thinks theirs is the best 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Benny » December 5th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Having so many options is cool. I think everyone has their favorite for whatever reason, weight, functionality in cold weather, white gas, alcohol, canisters, oh and lets not forget the wood burning and chemical burning stoves. Whatever your choice, if it works for you fantastic.

I am fortunate enough that I have the Whisperlite Intl and will soon have the LiteMax, thanks to my girlfriend for the LiteMax. For those interested in purchasing a stove or even making your own this thread was a good starting point in choosing the right stove for you.
Benny

Postby rayfound » December 5th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Alcohol stoves are awesome for the weight savings.

A Jetboil or similar is awesome because you can get it out, cooked, and put away before the water on an alcohol stove would even be warm....BUT its fairly heavy (1lb) and a bit on the large side (about the size of nalgene). Also, its mostly useless for anything but boiling water.

Something in between those two will have qualities between those two.

For me, I like my jetboil. Uses an almost comically small amount of fuel, boils water almost instantly, and is just a breeze. The downsides are there though.

Ryan's alcohol stove was pretty cool last time we went out, but it was a lot more work to fill/use/light/extinguish/clean/etc... but a campfire is a lot of work too, and we all love campfires.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » December 5th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I haven't backpacked in quite a while, but use/used a MSR Super Fly. I use it on my car camping trips now. Paired with a small Ti, Snow Peak pot set, it's very light and takes up very little room. Boils water just fine. I have no need for it to do anything else. I do think a Jetboil would be better for what I do now. BTW, I LIKE eating dehydrated meals. Once and a while I'll even eat one at home. :shock:

briansII
briansII

Postby Baughb » December 6th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Car camping: Jetboil
Backpacking: Trangia alcohol stove.
Less than 4 nights and I'm Freezer Bag cooking so mostly it's all about boiling water and back country brookies deserve a twig fire to be just right.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing