REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Float Tubes

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Float Tubes

Postby thtsarumr » November 17th, 2008, 11:35 pm

I'm thinking about getting into the float tube game. I was looking at the Bob Marriott site and I really like the Caddis Nevada Gold. I haven't found a great description on it yet but I'd like to find one that is backpackable for maybe some high mountain lakes. What do y'all suggest?
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Re: Float Tubes

Postby anacrime » November 17th, 2008, 11:47 pm

they all work. the more you pay the more comfortable/faster/lighter/etc they get. i fish a 13 year old caddis tube in some of the gnarliest conditions possible and do just fine. eventually i'll upgrade but it's all just a matter of preference.

http://www.swimbait.com/gallery/index.html
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 18th, 2008, 12:09 am

Get one with pontoons, and keep an eye on how much it weighs as well. That's about all I can suggest since I'm not too familiar with the technicalities of a float tube even though I have 2. Just don't have an inner tube one unless you like sitting up to your chest in water with half your vest soaking wet in freezing water. The pontoon tubes seem to keep you higher out of the water making casting easier and kicking around, while still maintainnig control when the wind picks up some.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby stanbery » November 18th, 2008, 3:47 am

Best for all around float tube
Fish Cat 4 Deluxe-LCS 14lb
Building on the successful platform of the Fish Cat 4-LCS, the Deluxe version incorporates an inflatable seat and backrest for greater comfort and compact storage. The float tube was designed with the seat above the water level to keep anglers warmer and drier. This also properly positions the angler for a more effective fin kick, offers a better field of vision and the opportunity for longer casts. The Fish Cat 4 Deluxe-LCS now incorporates an adjustable height stripping apron for easy entry and exit and a tensioned apron surface for better control of stripped line. Two spacious gear pockets with beverage holders keep necessities close. Constructed using two durable vinyl airecells and a 600-denier PVC bottom that resists snags and everyday wear and tear.

BOAT SPECS
Inflated Size: 44" x 54"
Weight: 14 lbs.
Air Cell Type: Vinyl
Load Capacity: 250 lbs.
Seams: Sewn
Warranty: 5 Year
Fabric Denier
420 PC
600 PVC

Best for back packing 8lb
Trinity

The Trinity is the ultimate in lightweight float tubes. This package, which includes an economy hand pump and a backpack, weighs only 8 pounds. It features 5 air chambers, 2 large gear pockets, an inflatable stripping apron and a mesh cargo deck.

BOAT SPECS
Inflated Size: 41" x 54"
Weight: 8 lbs.
Air Cell Type: Urethane Coated
Load Capacity: 300 lbs.
Seams: Thermal Welded
Warranty: 5 Year

Fabric Denier
420 UCN
420 UCN

Pontoon Boat
Discovery Trekker 18lbs
The Trekker is a hybrid boat that combines features of a float tube and a pontoon boat. The portability, lightweight, and ultra quick set up time make this boat an excellent choice for camping and RVing anglers. Pontoon style tubes move efficiently in the water through the use of fins and the elevated seat frame provides comfort and a better position for sight fishing and longer casts. The seat/backrest converts to a pack frame that carries the pontoons and some lightweight equipment.

BOAT SPECS

Inflated Size: 46" x 66"
Weight: 18 lbs.
Frame: 1-pc Aluminum
Air Cell Type: 14 mil. Urethane
Load Capacity: 300 lbs.
Seams: Thermal Welded Warranty: 5 Year

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Eric » November 18th, 2008, 7:40 am

Blu, I would go with the trinity. It is very light and packable. Send Zee a pm and ask him what he thinks about his trinity.
Eric
Eric

Postby Papasequoia » November 18th, 2008, 9:11 am

IamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattube
IamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattube
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby briansII » November 18th, 2008, 9:32 am

If you're planning on backing a tube for overnight trips, i'd go with one that is light a possible. You have to factor in carrying fins, and pump. Weight and space start to add up. There are some decent tubes that weight around 6lbs. Creek Co., Original U-Tube comes to mind. If you just want to do a day trip, i'd go for something like the Trinity. Has all the luxuries of the Fish Cat/Fat Cat, but less than 1/2 the weight. Outcast has a new stripping apron design. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you fish in any wind, you'll quickly come to appreciate it.

I have a friend who uses a Caddis tube similar to the Nevada. He likes it, but the crossbar pocket tore out on a trip. That, IMHO, is the one drawback of that design. The crossbar is used to stabilize/strenghten the tube. If something goes wrong with it, you can be compromised. It's also one more thing to get in your way. You have to open and close the crossbar, to get in and out. Minor inconvience, but.......

briansII
briansII

Postby thtsarumr » November 18th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Great info. Thanks guys.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby RichardCullip » November 18th, 2008, 4:21 pm

I've been using the Outcast Trinity for a couple of years now and, once I got over the initial price sticker shock, I've been very pleased with the purchase. Judging by the price, Outcast is very proud of their Trinity - but it is comfortable to fish from and very light weight.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby stanbery » November 19th, 2008, 3:26 am

Papasequoia wrote:IamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattube
IamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattube
IamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattube

Yes you are.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby thtsarumr » February 7th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I am pretty dead set on buying the Outcast Fish Cat 4 LCS Deluxe however I have read several reviews where it was priced at $179. I cannot find the deluxe for anything less than $200. Does anyone know of any stores or sites that have it priced at $179?
thtsarumr

Postby flybob » February 7th, 2009, 6:16 pm

thtsarumr wrote:I am pretty dead set on buying the Outcast Fish Cat 4 LCS Deluxe however I have read several reviews where it was priced at $179. I cannot find the deluxe for anything less than $200. Does anyone know of any stores or sites that have it priced at $179?

Blu, I was looking at this one before the holidays, and was going to pick one up for that price, wife said to wait until after Christmas, bad move......the msrp went up to 265.00!

Well there is a shop in Colorado that is selling them on ebay for 209.00 including shipping and no tax!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0302448705

Here is the best part, I bought it on Thursday, I get it on Wednesday, can't beat that!

I bought the green one, but I believe they have the red one too.

Good luck!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby flybob » February 7th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Papasequoia wrote:IamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattube

Jon, I said the same thing, but when I saw my buddy Doug getting into some serious Bass from the tube......well I have to at least give it a try.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby RSetina » February 7th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Papasequoia wrote:IamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattubeIamnotgoingtobuyafloattube

You should Jon. You'd love it!
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Wildman » February 7th, 2009, 11:24 pm

I bought Zee's Trinity Outcast before he left and am hoping it will attract the same size and caliber of fish that would follow him around lakes waiting to come up to have their picture taken. I'll let you know if that feature is still working when I go fishing with Richard Cullip in San Diego Bay in March.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing