REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Big Browns....Help!!!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Big Browns....Help!!!

Postby Benny » November 18th, 2008, 7:17 pm

When someone mentions big brown trout it quickly grabs my attention and I’m all ears. The thought of hooking into a huge brown has been on my mind for quite some time now. Although I have yet to hook into one of the huge beast I am still in the hunt. The big brown trout has seemed to elude me like the Roadrunner does the Wiley Coyote. It’s wariness and intelligence is bar non amongst other trout species.

Brown trout are famous for being one of the more intelligent species of trout. It’s wariness to lie in wait until dark to come out and feed, truly makes the brown one if not the smartest of trout. Browns are harder to target than your average dumb rainbow who will eat at just about any time of the day. From information I have picked up via other fly fishermen, to have the best chance of hooking into a big brown I'm going to have to fly fish in the dark hours of the night or wee hours of the morning.

Moving on to the matter of hooking into a big brown. How do I get into big browns on the fly? I ask myself this all the time. I try and soak up as much as information as I can from some of the fly fishermen who consistently hook big browns time and again. Two things they have in common is they tend to fish after dark and they use big flies.

What would any of you recomend as far as streamers? I have been looking at some of Kelly Galloups monster streamers and was wondering what your thoughts are on those.

Another thing I found was that Mr Galloup uses a 6wt with full sinking line with a 12 lbs tippet :o The tippet seems a little heavy to me. It's seems to be working for him though. What do you guys think of the tippet? My thought is at least I won't be loosing to many flies, but it also makes me think that I'm not going to be getting to many strikes due in part to the larger tippet. I know he's fishing big rivers up in Montana, so I'm thinking different techniques here in our waters.

Anyone have any tips to help me stock up the streamer box? I'm really close to placing an order to purchase some of Kellys streamers, but first I would like to ask you guys what your thoughts on his flies are. I know the flies work but have no clue what flies work best. What sizes and colors would work best in our waters?

Thanks
Benny

Re: Big Browns....Help!!!

Postby Eric » November 18th, 2008, 8:49 pm

First thing you got to do is buy some snow shoes :!:
Eric
Eric

Postby coreyk » November 18th, 2008, 8:57 pm

I am always hunting these guys also! I love it .. Its a passion and an obsession. I have buddies tell me "and I thought I loved to throw streamers". Not only that I am lucky enough to live next to a fantastic river full of big bad aggressive browns!

As for your questions, as far as I know... I am a subscriber to the Galloup methods! I fish with an old 2pc 6wt avid, the first "real" rod I ever bought. I use a 6ft leader that is about 2.5' 20lb and 3.5' of 12lb. The advantage is that when you hook of these guys they are not going to break you off and you won't loose many flies! I wouldn't worry about not get strikes... I have found that if a big brown is going to move for your streamer he will be very focused on eating and/or being territorial. I use the SA streamer express sink tip, but will prob switch over to a full sink this next season. I think that a full sink will help to get your fly down quicker in fast water.

As far as flies go... The streamers I most commonly throw are circus peanuts (lrg), sex dungeons (lrg), zoo cougars (med), J.J. Special (sml), Orange Blossom Special (sml). I have been tying up some streamers specifically for browns that I'm fishing for here in UT. Shoot me your address and I'll send a couple of flies that I have been kicking around... It would be nice to see how they do in your neck of the woods! I tend to fish a love of olive in the spring and yellow in the fall. If you have not gotten a copy of Galloups video .. It is 100% worth it. If you tie the articulated streamer video is good also.

There is nothing better than a BIG brown on a streamer. I have not broken that magical 24" mark yet, but I'm feelin' it for this year!!!Couple of my better streamer photos.

Image Image Image Image
coreyk

Postby flybob » November 18th, 2008, 8:58 pm

Hey Benny, I can tell you where and how to catch lots of browns that dream of being big! :?

Wow Corey, seriously, have you met "LAriver" you guys need to hook up and have a big brown out slugfest!

Holy CARP those are nice!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby rayfound » November 18th, 2008, 9:12 pm

flybob wrote:Wow Corey, seriously, have you met "LAriver" you guys need to hook up and have a big brown out slugfest!

I think he just goes by "Bernard" 'round these parts.

But seriously, I hope he chimes in on this - he's got a ton of experience chasing pig browns.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Benny » November 18th, 2008, 9:24 pm

SNOW SHOES??? Eric, where the heck do you want me to go :lol:

Corey, the information you provided is great and I should be making that purchase on the streamers. I have a 6wt and the full sinking line I use when tubing. I can use that for throwing these big streamers as well. I'll PM you my address so you can shoot me those flies. I'll hook you up with some flies as well. Thanks for the great advise.

Bob, are we talking little baby browns? Oh and Bernard is definitely the go to guy out here who catches big browns on a consistent basis. I took a sneek peek into his streamer box and he does have some huge streamers.

Thanks
Benny

Postby darrin terry » November 18th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Corey, you talking 'bout that Pom-Pom? :lol: That thing had one big butt cone head on it! :D

I just ordered Kelly's video this weekend. The fishing one. I figure to get the tying video next month. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby darrin terry » November 18th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Benny, did you see this:
http://utahcutthroat.blogspot.com/
:?: :?: :?:
:D :D :D

Scroll down to the October 31, 2008 entry.

Oh, if Bryan's pics look a little like Corey's, well Bryan told me Corey has helped with that some. ;)
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Eric » November 18th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Benny wrote:SNOW SHOES??? Eric, where the heck do you want me to go :lol:
Thanks

When you get better I will take you :lol: My PB brown is now a 21ins.. In 2009 I hope to beat it. Corey lots of good info.thanks
Eric
Eric

Postby JGray » November 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm

While I catch browns year round, and to be honest with you my largest was caught at about 3pm on a 90 degree day in the middle of August. It was 27 inches and went close to 9lbs, on a 3wt with 6x tipit and on a san juan worm, go figure. I believe your information is corect. The big boys are most active early morn and just after sun down. Your best chance to tie into a big one during the day is during the months of October and November, at least here in Colorado. This may bring up some of the ethical questions about fishing during the spawn, but the bigger fish are more active and less wary at that time. Personally I prefer to fish for the big ones pre spawn (early to mid October) and leave them alone once on the reeds. They are carnivorus and want a good sized meal, also once they have eaten it may be awhile till the eat again making catching one that much more difficult. I am no good with names of streamers. To be honest I kind of make them up as I am sitting at the vice. I guess I could post pictures of a few of my favorites. David (The Flyguide) gave ColoradoXJ and me a few of his favorites while in Wyoming and I have been modeling some after him. I really like the action from the jointed versions he ties and I copy. The trout do too. I have never felt under gunned on a big brown in a stream with as light as a 3wt since they are confined in thier runs, but hooked into a few on a big river or in the tube on a lake that I wasnt sure my 7wt was going to be enough rod for. Like the others who have posted I usually use a 6wt when tossing streamers for the back bone needed to keep from hooking myself in the ear throwing some of the dumbell weighted versions I use. I used to use a two piece leader for awhile too but recently have started using a straight 8ft piece of 2x florocarbon. David(The Flyguide) is the guy you want to talk to though. He is the streamer guru. I always would throw the wooly bugger now and again but he is the one who got me thinking about and using and tying streamers to target the big fish.
JGray

Postby midger » November 18th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Benny,
I'd tell you where they were at and how to catch them, but then I'd have to kill you. ;) :lol: :lol:

I'll be fishing some next week, and will let you know how I do. :mrgreen:

There is some good info here. In addition to the Circus Peanut and sex dungeon, I also like meat whistles and large buggers--sized 1/0 to 4s. I also use short leaders and terminal tippets of 0 or 1X. They don't appear to be that leader shy, but they are very aggressive.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby anacrime » November 18th, 2008, 10:49 pm

come to new zealand 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » November 18th, 2008, 11:04 pm

Something tells me you are looking for something a little bit bigger than my best and only brown of this year.

:lol:
darrin terry

Postby Benny » November 18th, 2008, 11:52 pm

I think the streamers might ba as big as that brown Darrin :lol:

Shane, the NZ browns are really tough to fish for so be prepared to have some extra long leaders and tippet. From what else I know is that not to many of the flies used up here will entice those big boys down there. Your going to have to key us in on what type of flies to take when we head down to visit ;)

Mike, I'll be waiting for that report. Keep me post for sure. Not sure if you recall that you put a couple of olive Circus Peanuts in the fly box you sent me when I lost my fly box ;) Thank you much once again.

JGray, congrats on that monster brown. Those San Juan worms really catch the fish ;) I've had a couple of nice fish on the SJW as well. Your right about David, he loves to fish those big streamers. Hope I can get on the water with him real soon.

Eric, I know of quite a few spots where there are some nice browns. My trouble is being in the right place at the right time. Last time I was up north in the fall I was just about a week to early from what one of the guides told me. I still mange a few browns but nothing of size.

Darrin, I'll check that link out.

Thanks
Benny

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 19th, 2008, 12:12 am

It's all about knowing where big browns live for starters. All you need is a 5wt, if you have a 3wt or whatever you can make it work, it's just a matter of skill and using a heavier tippet will help insure your landing one. Strip Streamers fast, with sinking line in lakes, and in rivers/creeks, it's just a matter of luck, nymphing/dries/streamers all catch them. Though I cannot vouch for this myself, most will swear again by streamers. Just go where they're known to live, that's the best start, and stick with streamers if it is lake fishing.

DISCLAIMER: My personal best brown is only 15" so I'm no pro, but I've caught lots of larger fish using these techinques and witnessed others actually catching big browns using the same.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing