REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Indicators

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Indicators

Postby lucfish » December 26th, 2011, 4:19 pm

A few of the bassmasters I know at Canyon are fishing a crappie bite. There in about 18-30 feet of water. The problem is using a line to get down to them I would have to use an 8 weight rod which would take all the fight out of the fish and I would have to retrieve too fast for the crappie this time of year so what I tried this morning was a 4 weight with a yarn indicator with about 18 foot of leader a spilt shot and a shad pattern fly at the end about 191/2 feet from indicator to fly. I know it would work but that's to much leader for a 9 foot 4 weight and it became an exersize in frustation, when I snagged the bottom and broke off I was kind of relieved that I could go bass fishing instead of flailing away for the crappie. I still want to get them if only to prove a point that it can be done but the method that I tried needs to be modified. Does anybody know if the make indicators that would slide to a stop in the leader. I know they make them for conventional guys, the bobber would be 3 feet from the hooks and weight and would slide down to the bump in your line ( a knot of some sort use to work) but I was wondering if there was something similar that was light enough for a flyrod. Thanks for your help. Luc
lucfish

Re: Indicators

Postby Justin » December 26th, 2011, 5:33 pm

The new thingamabobbers have a jam stop in them, I cut mine off as I like the OG style but they might work for you. Check it and see.

Justin
Justin

Postby DubL HauL » December 26th, 2011, 6:00 pm

You might check into an indicator system I've heard used on Lake Crowley I seem to remember hearing about something to approach what you describe for a long leader drop.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby Bakoguy » December 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Maybe use David's balloon indicator. When it comes back thru the tip it either pops or it doesn't. If it does you are out $.02. Otherwise I think they make a breakaway indicator system but it probably is more expensive than the balloon.
Bakoguy

Postby ldr » December 26th, 2011, 9:01 pm

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby duckdog » December 26th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Check with the trout fly in mammoth. they have a deep water system that they use on crowley. it will get you down where you want to go, when you ready to land your fish the indicator slides when it hits the tip of your flyrod. good luck.
duckdog

Postby rayfound » December 27th, 2011, 8:09 am

I want to say guys on lakes up in BC use a system like what you are needing. I remember reading or listening about a system like this:

They have an indicator which is held in place by a "peg" (pretty sure a lot of them use a toothpick). When landing a fish, you reel it all the way to the guide, and then "pop" and the peg will fall out and the indicator will be free sliding on your line.

PS - went back and read the link of LDR.... same concept it seems, but maybe a better implementation.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » December 27th, 2011, 8:26 am

Yep. Those are the ones. Created for deep midging BC lakes. Once they hit your tip top guide, they release and slide down the leader. They are not fun to try and cast. More like a lob-chuck-roll cast. Luc, if I can find them(doubtful), i'll send you the ones I have.

briansII
briansII

Postby WadeK » December 27th, 2011, 9:40 am

Unless I missed the boat, I think Luc would be looking more fore an unpegged Lil Corky with a bobber stop on the leeader so the Corky can slide down to the split-shot during casting and then slide back up to the stop to set the rig at depth. I've done this with the dog-bone style stops with holes at both ends(used to be available at wal-mart-I'll look next time I'm there). They'll go through the eyes of your rod kinda OK (about as well as a leader to flyline nail knot). You have to use a big enough shot (BB minumum)to pull the leader through and that means using a big enough Corky (1/2-3/4")to hold the shot up so it's far from perfect but it does work. It's much easier to cast than a pegged indicator's hinge effect, but still not fun.

TL,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby lucfish » December 27th, 2011, 10:00 am

WadeK wrote:Unless I missed the boat, I think Luc would be looking more fore an unpegged Lil Corky with a bobber stop on the leeader so the Corky can slide down to the split-shot during casting and then slide back up to the stop to set the rig at depth. I've done this with the dog-bone style stops with holes at both ends(used to be available at wal-mart-I'll look next time I'm there). They'll go through the eyes of your rod kinda OK (about as well as a leader to flyline nail knot). You have to use a big enough shot (BB minumum)to pull the leader through and that means using a big enough Corky (1/2-3/4")to hold the shot up so it's far from perfect but it does work. It's much easier to cast than a pegged indicator's hinge effect, but still not fun.

TL,
Wade

Yea that's kind of what I'm looking for, I think the one that LDR and Brian mentioned would work better than the setup I now have because I used a yarn indictor (old school there) and that is REALLY hard to cast as opposed to the indicators mentioned. But if I could find an indicator that slid up and down the line so I wouldn't have to try and cast 20 feet of leader a shot, 2 flies and the indicator itself that would be "ideal." (a relative word here LOL)
lucfish

Postby stanbery » December 27th, 2011, 2:11 pm

2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby briansII » December 27th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Pondering this situation.....and not liking indicators(personal preference), I think you could catch those fish on a light shooting head setup. Get a short, 20' section of T-8, and some mono running line. You should be able to sling that a long ways on a 5wt.....maybe even a stiff 4wt. A key would be a semi long leader and a floating streamer. No indicator, and 20' leader to try and cast. It would be fun to cast, and fish.

Otherwise, this might be another option.

http://www.rioproducts.com/Kahuna_LT_St ... ators.html

BTW, I caught a slab crappie yesterday. I was conventional bass fishing and it took a * in about 8' of water. Water temps were in the high 40's, and it fought like a wet rag.

briansII
briansII

Postby lucfish » December 27th, 2011, 2:58 pm

briansII wrote:Pondering this situation.....and not liking indicators(personal preference), I think you could catch those fish on a light shooting head setup. Get a short, 20' section of T-8, and some mono running line. You should be able to sling that a long ways on a 5wt.....maybe even a stiff 4wt. A key would be a semi long leader and a floating streamer. No indicator, and 20' leader to try and cast. It would be fun to cast, and fish.

BTW, I caught a slab crappie yesterday. I was conventional bass fishing and it took a * in about 8' of water. Water temps were in the high 40's, and it fought like a wet rag.

briansII

Conventional fishing huh? Blasphamy LOL. I got a nice 4 lber. yesterday FLYFISHING LOL. I do like indicator fishing, sometimes it makes a big difference in keeping it in the strike zone. The problem I see with your suggestion is it will be hard to estimate proper depth control ( which is why I was looking at an indicator set-up) but I think I'll give it a try. Do you think that the rio product would stay afloat if you had a split shot or two attached to the line?
lucfish

Postby briansII » December 27th, 2011, 5:15 pm

lucfish wrote:
briansII wrote:Pondering this situation.....and not liking indicators(personal preference), I think you could catch those fish on a light shooting head setup. Get a short, 20' section of T-8, and some mono running line. You should be able to sling that a long ways on a 5wt.....maybe even a stiff 4wt. A key would be a semi long leader and a floating streamer. No indicator, and 20' leader to try and cast. It would be fun to cast, and fish.

briansII

Conventional fishing huh? Blasphamy LOL. I got a nice 4 lber. yesterday FLYFISHING LOL. I do like indicator fishing, sometimes it makes a big difference in keeping it in the strike zone. The problem I see with your suggestion is it will be hard to estimate proper depth control ( which is why I was looking at an indicator set-up) but I think I'll give it a try. Do you think that the rio product would stay afloat if you had a split shot or two attached to the line?

I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess it will as long as you keep the weight reasonably low it should float it....... or use a longer strip of the indicator. I was assuming the crappie were on the bottom.....hence my shooting head suggestion. If they are suspended, then yeah, a bobber :-) is the way to go. If you need some cheap, mono running line, let me know. I have some stuff that should work well.

BTW, I caught a crappie, bass and a trout on that *. ;) Chilly, 26 degree boat ride in the morning. :(

briansII
briansII

Postby lucfish » December 27th, 2011, 5:55 pm

briansII wrote:
lucfish wrote:

briansII

I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess it will as long as you keep the weight reasonably low it should float it....... or use a longer strip of the indicator. I was assuming the crappie were on the bottom.....hence my shooting head suggestion. If they are suspended, then yeah, a bobber :-) is the way to go. If you need some cheap, mono running line, let me know. I have some stuff that should work well.

BTW, I caught a crappie, bass and a trout on that *. ;) Chilly, 26 degree boat ride in the morning. :(

26 degrees, brrrr how far did you have to travel? Yea if you got some running line, I would appreciate that. Luc

briansII
lucfish

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing