REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A step back in time

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A step back in time

Postby DubL HauL » November 19th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Yesterday my girlfriend suggested we take a hike and go fishing. "No problem honey can you get up at 5"? "Sure" she said, we got out of the house at 7... A quick stop at the market and then CVS for sunscreen we are on our way. Arriving at the trail head we begin to make tracks at 8 I'll add we got up at 5... For the first 2 miles we had it made in the shade then things began to warm up. There is a reason I call this place up sheep creek.

Once reaching our first goal we took a picture of our boots

Having a nice lunch we rig up and do some fishin. It's tough to keep the fish ON and OFF our lines. I mean it was a battle in both regards, hard not getting multiple strikes per cast but equally difficult to keep them ON after the strike, these guys are sneaky. No time to get the allergic to water camera out for the lil guys so you can just imagine. The time really flew by and we knew we were going to be in the dark for part of the hike out. Time to put the stiff hiking boots back on and work our way back home, which is a beat up truck with a nice comfy seat sounds good right now. Time for one last picture which shows the lighting situation of our dilemma. The darkness hides most things to be scared of however the howls of the coyotes could not be silenced.

Getting back to the truck at 8:20p nothing beats a beautiful day outside!
Andy
DubL HauL

Re: A step back in time

Postby darrin terry » November 19th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Nnice Andy. I'd been wondering if you'd been getting some water time. Nice report, even without fish pics. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Benny » November 19th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Sounds like a great outing Andy. Is that TBTN I have heard so much about? I have yet to make it that far. I always say I'm just going to hike all the way past the bridge and it never happens due to all the stops I make to fish :lol: Glad you two had a great time.

Thanks for sharing
Benny

Postby DubL HauL » November 19th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Ya Benny and once you go you just have to go back. There is never enough time. The fishing is totally different. Pack the rod and do not take it out until you get there.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby Wildman » November 19th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Can you ride a bike up that far?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Sasha » November 19th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Great report, no need for fish pics the report painted the story.
Sasha

Postby Benny » November 19th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Wildman wrote:Can you ride a bike up that far?

No bike trail up that far Jim.
Benny

Postby DubL HauL » November 19th, 2008, 3:32 pm

absolutely not but take a wide brim hat...

I will add that if you have never been the trail is extremely difficult to navigate. I have been close several times but never made it. Now I know the way and the way back it is ok. Doing it in the dark is not smart ether.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby mleng » November 19th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Cool report Andy! That sheeps looks awesome. I haven't been that far yet, but I hope to one day.

Mo
mleng

Postby anacrime » November 19th, 2008, 7:02 pm

cool :lol:
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby flybob » November 19th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Hey Andy, I have a couple of shots of about 20 of those puppies on the big rock out cropping just before the bridge from back in the nineties!

My son and I used to go up there and pan for gold, got a couple of little nuggets too!

Glad you and you wife made it out there, yeah once you find the trail, you never forget it, and it is a haul too!

Thanks for sharing your trip
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 19th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Looks like a nice relaxing day out Andy. That's a very cool pic of the Bighorn, and the scenery in the canyon looks very cool.

Mike
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Chris Kuhn » November 19th, 2008, 9:42 pm

DubL HauL wrote:

absolutely not but take a wide brim hat...

I will add that if you have never been the trail is extremely difficult to navigate. I have been close several times but never made it. Now I know the way and the way back it is ok. Doing it in the dark is not smart ether.

Andy

Are there steep cliffs?
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby 1mocast » November 20th, 2008, 12:28 am

Haven't been back there in awhile...Looks like it was a nice day out...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » November 20th, 2008, 4:43 am

Darrin Terry wrote:Nnice Andy. I'd been wondering if you'd been getting some water time.:D

Just ask Andy to post a picture of the big fish he caught last weekend.

Nice report Andy.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing