REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

3wt. line?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

3wt. line?

Postby ivan562 » January 2nd, 2012, 3:10 am

hello everyone....
I recently picked up a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series 7'6" 3wt. (med.-fast), I have never owned a rod of this wt. size.
I need help choosing a fly line for fishing the local waters (edited by admin).
In your comments please take into consideration whether or not the fly line would perform well with the rod mentioned above. Its a trout stream. Would a SA GPX wf-f line be ok.
thanks....
ivan562

Re: 3wt. line?

Postby WanderingBlues » January 2nd, 2012, 6:00 am

I have that very stick and line combo and it works well. It gets thru the guides smoothly and rests on the water nicely. I have not noticed any issue with line memory. If you short stop your cast on a dry, it will allow for some delicate presentations. Do make sure you keep the line clean with some type of line prep.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby 1mocast » January 2nd, 2012, 11:44 am

I have the same rod and have tried different lines from Cabelas to Orvis. It seems to do well with different lines. Just stretch the line before fishing and practice some lawn casting.

The rod does take getting used to since it is a progressive action. For short casts, a slight flick of the wrist is all that is needed. It also has backbone to cast farther and fight bigger fish.

Enjoy your new rod and line.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby rayfound » January 2nd, 2012, 1:23 pm

FWIW... Scientific Anglers line didn't last very well for me. It cast fine and I liked it, but it got cracked quickly and the welded loop broke. I pitched it after less than a season.

Could be my fault somehow I guess. Mine wasn't the GPX, it was the "trout" line.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby mike.s » January 3rd, 2012, 2:56 am

I really like and use RIO lines....there not cheap but i like how they last and handle.....
I use the rio gold on a lot of my rods.. they have one for a 3wt also..
the rio LT line works well too on 1-3 wts
another option would be a rio grand which is there only line thats runs a half a size larger to give you a little more punch even on a 3 wt...
mike.s

Postby KRoberts1 » January 3rd, 2012, 9:46 am

Aw heck...Let's go with a Phoenix Silk DT and a can of Mucillen Red. REALLY nice line.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby KRoberts1 » January 3rd, 2012, 9:49 am

Or you could go the other way and get the Hook & Hackle DT or WF . Both highly regarded by users of glass rods. AND they're a much cheaper alternative than those previously mentioned.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby Reyne » January 3rd, 2012, 11:00 am

I, too like the Rio Trout LT (WF) in a 3wt. with Feather Craft's 4ft furled leader...smooooth!
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby ivan562 » January 7th, 2012, 7:35 pm

thanks for the info, I picked up a SA Sharkskin line 3wt wf for $45 online now its time to hit my local waters.
ivan562

Return to General Fly Fishing