REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bummed Out In Cali

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Bummed Out In Cali

Postby strohble » November 20th, 2008, 2:41 pm

My winter job in Oregon got slashed due to budgetary constraints so I moved back to Fresno for a few months to work and save some money until I move back in the late winter or early spring. I am SERIOUSLY crapped out but it's only for a few months. When I left the Rogue it was fishing great so I'm preparing myself for the withdrawls now. Looks like I'll be stalking the Kings for a while now, has anyone been to the lower lately? Is there water in there? Any fish? Anyway, if anyone wants to check out the Kings shoot me am e-mail or PM--Eric
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

Read more: http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/7005-gre ... z2I9yew2Iw
Follow us: GoFISHn on Facebook
strohble

Re: Bummed Out In Cali

Postby fflutterffly » November 20th, 2008, 5:29 pm

When I lived in Ashland I too visited the Rogue, but knew nothing of fly fishing. I did borrow a friends spinning gear (hey it was the 80's) and would go up to Prospect, down a very steep fire road and to the river. I had forgotten this until your post. I felt like I was the very first person to touch that river it was so special. I wish I could fish that river now... what a different adventure it would be.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby rayfound » November 20th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Bummer Eric. Too bad bud. You think you might get a chance to go back up next summer?
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby strohble » November 20th, 2008, 9:48 pm

@fflutterffly--the wild and scenic upper Rogue is gorgeous, lots of browns this time of year and if you take the time to hike down to the confluence or one of the forks it's well worth the bruises and blood.

@rayfound--My firefighting job is secure for the summer but I'm not a very good hunter so I don't think I could feed myself through the winter with no job. All is good though, I'll be returning next year.
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

strohble

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 20th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Just curious, how were the Salmon runs doing so far when you left? I usually make a trip up there every September but this year was canceled after 3 horrible years.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby strohble » November 21st, 2008, 12:02 pm

For the past three weeks or so the lower and middle Rogue were doing really well for salmon, I guess people were pulling utter hogs (40 + lbs.) out of the Rayney Falls area. The upper Rogue, where I am, was was fishing well until about August. The runs should be improving with the rain up there right now and I've also heard of a few Coho's being caught out of the lower.

strohble

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 22nd, 2008, 1:19 pm

strohble wrote:For the past three weeks or so the lower and middle Rogue were doing really well for salmon, I guess people were pulling utter hogs (40 + lbs.) out of the Rayney Falls area. The upper Rogue, where I am, was was fishing well until about August. The runs should be improving with the rain up there right now and I've also heard of a few Coho's being caught out of the lower.

Good to hear it's dong ok. I thought that they shut down both commercial and recreational fishing for salmon this year on the Rogue.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby strohble » November 22nd, 2008, 2:18 pm

Commercial fishing was day by day, the counts coming up the mouth dictated whether or not the commercial fisherman could fish. I heard that they spent more time waiting to fish than actually fishing. Recreational use was ok all year as far as I know.

strohble

Return to General Fly Fishing