REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Serious last minute cry for info!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Serious last minute cry for info!

Postby flybob » November 20th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Hey all you Addicts out there,

I will have about a three hour window tomorrow morning (Friday the 21st) from about 9 to noon to fish El Dorado Park, it is on the way home from work.
I see on Google Earth that they have 4 lakes in the general park area, the park info guy on the phone said that I can fish them all.
The question I have, is in the effort to maximize my 3 hour Bluegill experience, does anyone know which of the four would be the most promising starting with the lake closest to the Spring St. entrance, which I believe they call Horseshoe Lake. I also noticed that there is a channel that connects all the lakes, would this be worth exploring as well.

Thanks in advance for the info,
bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Serious last minute cry for info!

Postby mleng » November 20th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Hi Bob,

The large lake near the ranger station (north of wardlow) is a good place to catch bluegill and crappie. There's a lot tules in that lake. Then there's the smaller lake right behind it and it also has a lot of bluegills. It's hard to fly fish there because of all the trees.

Good luck!

Mo
mleng

Postby anacrime » November 20th, 2008, 3:31 pm

used to fish it a lot

start at the big horizontal oval

the vertical oval on the east side is good too. bigger ones hang out just beyond the drop off on either side of the weeds
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Papasequoia » November 20th, 2008, 6:57 pm

What's next, fly fishermen targetting carp? Heavens to murgatroid, what has the world come to? :P
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby mleng » November 20th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Papasequoia wrote:What's next, fly fishermen targetting carp? Heavens to murgatroid, what has the world come to? :P

Too late! I have tried to fish for them over there and I have failed miserably! :cry:
mleng

Postby flybob » November 20th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Thanks guys! The gear is packed in the truck! Off work at 9, gotta be home by 1.

By the way, just found out that they are haveing a KIDS FISHING DERBY on Saturday.
They are expecting about 2000 young'ns! I believe they have stocked the cement pond, the one for the model boats, for the event, hopfully the stocker trout will not interupt my bluegill fishing!

Plan on taking the cam just in case I get into some dinkier dinks!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby RSetina » November 20th, 2008, 7:56 pm

Have a good time Bob. Good luck catching the dinks. I can't believe that's even a sentence. Most of the time it's hope you catch a big one. You're not a hard man to please Bob, are you? ;) :lol:
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby flybob » November 20th, 2008, 8:10 pm

RSetina wrote:Have a good time Bob. Good luck catching the dinks. I can't believe that's even a sentence. Most of the time it's hope you catch a big one. You're not a hard man to please Bob, are you? ;) :lol:

Rick, the little dinks are like puppies and kittens to me...........this where God concentrates all the beauty!

And thank you so much for the well wishes!
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Chris Kuhn » November 20th, 2008, 8:19 pm

I agree.

Got this one in Prospect Park

Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby meb » November 20th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Bob,

Back in the early 60s I caught 50 bluegills in a few hours at the lake that is right off of Studebaker Rd.. I also caught quite a few bass out of that lake. I have no idea what it's like today, but I spent a lot of time catching bluegills and bass when I was a kid living a few minutes walk from there.

Have fun.

Mark
meb

Return to General Fly Fishing