REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Most CA native fish gone in a century: CalTrout

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Most CA native fish gone in a century: CalTrout

Postby Papasequoia » November 21st, 2008, 4:26 pm

Also, the latest on the stocking programs:

http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2008/11/ ... ative.html
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Most CA native fish gone in a century: CalTrout

Postby RSetina » November 21st, 2008, 6:35 pm

It may be normal for this time of year, but the only planting of fish in rivers of any county of California is in the central region. Kern, King, Fresno County, Etc. In all the other counties, planting has been suspended or only a couple of lakes are being stocked. I know the season ended so that's probably why most have been suspended, but there's nothing but a couple of lakes in So Cal that are being stocked. Hope it's not the wave of the future.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Benny » November 22nd, 2008, 12:00 am

I have to say I agree that they should stop all the stocking of the non-native trout in the areas where 16 native fish species and 9 frog species are found.

My understanding is that the DFG will still stock all reservoirs not connected to rivers with the native species of fish or frogs.
Benny

Postby Gary C. » November 22nd, 2008, 12:40 am

I'm all for preserving and protecting native species. I don't belive it's possible to stop stocking heavily used areas and expect there to be a productive fishery. I think that even with special regs and C&R there would be so many fisherman that would stop fishing and buying licences that all of us would suffer, including the fish. Without the revenue from licences we would lose our voice. We need to remember that the current lawsuite is not about enriching our opportunity to fish for native fish but what they believe is protecting all species, especially the frogs. There goal once the stocking is stopped will be to remove non-native trout even from waters that didn't have fish before stocking to protect the frogs and other creatures. The DFG is in the proccess of removing all fish from Big Rock Creek and putting in a fish barrier. Look at Little Rock Creek, they killed all of the fish and closed the access to all people 10yrs ago and they still won't allow access to anyone in that entire canyon beyond the lake. I hope the toads are enjoying there solitude :x
Gary C.

After reading this I guess I should have posted this elsewhere, sorry for hi-jacking you post Jon.
Gary C.

Postby Benny » November 22nd, 2008, 1:24 am

There is way more to this than just the link up top. Here are some links to the commissioned report by California Trout aka "Caltrout"....

CLICK HERE :arrow: CALTROUT REPORT

CLICK HERE :arrow: SOS Native Fish Crisis
Benny

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 24th, 2008, 8:12 pm

I'm pro native species, but DFG has to have the regulations and enforcement to make it happen to begin with which no matter what anyone says they don't. It's obvious, and fewer hatcheries means less $$ California has to budget to them.

See you all out on Hot Creek, East Walker, Kings/Kern and other specially regulated places that will deteriorate from too much pressure and human activity. Oh and one more thing, keep your secrets places to yourselves and those that you know and trust, which sux for people new to fishing and learning.

Its sad that this will probably happen unless by a miracle DFG does role out new regulations on a lot of waters, and can somewhat enforce them. Then again you also take away lots of fishing areas from a lot of people, like bait and spin fisherman. I grew up doing that till I was 18 when I became a full time fly fisherman. Maybe this is the wrong place to say this but reality is they (spin/bait fisherman) have just as much right to be out there fishing as we do and keep some fish to eat as well.

This is my initial opinion, we'll see what actually happens, and I need to finish reading the rest of the posted articles.

Mike
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Return to General Fly Fishing