REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lens color

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lens color

Postby duckdog » February 11th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Copper, Rose, Brown,Amber,Yellow,Blue-BLUE ! East side streams, low light ,bright light, we all have our favorites . Oakley, Smith Optics, Orvis, etc. so many choices. Do you have a favorite ? Can you get by with just one pair of sunglasses ?
duckdog

Re: Lens color

Postby darrin terry » February 11th, 2012, 9:41 pm

I get by with and am quite happy with the cheap ($20) Flying Fisherman brand yellow (too light to call 'em amber) polarized lenses that I've been buying for the past 4-5 years. I'd likely get something better for more money if I ever found some that I liked and thought were worth it. That has not happened yet though.

The only thing I don't really like about them is they scratch if look at dust. But hey, $20.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby planettrout » February 12th, 2012, 12:19 am

Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Artin » February 12th, 2012, 8:02 am

Actually, I did some research about glasses.
You're best off having 2 shades. One for bright days and another for low light conditions. Most do not have 2 which is fine. (I am one of them)
Smith, Oakley etc. are fine glasses. The only thing is that they are made of a plastic material which scratches much more easily. I've found that all around yet a bit more heavy (which is fine) glasss that are made of glass are better at resisting scratches and are crisper with vision. I checked out some manufacturers and found one I really liked. Costa Del Mar. I tried them out at a local shop and loved them. More than my Oakleys and Smiths I have have or have had in the past. It is a bit of an investment. But well worth it in the long haul if you ask me.

My next pair will be shades with glass lenses and most probably of the Costa type. I think Dave (STM) sports a pair. You should also ask him about how he feels about them. I think he really likes them as well.

By the way, that's a great link Tim. Great explanation of the different colors. What does transmission mean there?

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby WanderingBlues » February 12th, 2012, 8:06 am

I've got two pair; Oakley's in smoke and a pair of Costa's in brown. I prefer the Costa's over all. The lens color seems to perform in a wider variety of conditions.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby beachbum » February 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

I have 3 pairs of Action Optics in dark grey, brown, and yellow. They are prescription and are very good. What I love about Smith is when I broke a frame, and sent it in for warranty, they replaced the lenses because I had scratched them. Great customer service, good glasses, and I can see the fish!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 12th, 2012, 10:02 am

i AM A sMITH oPTICS GUY. bEEN USING THEM FOR YEARS AND GET ALONG JUST FINE WITH their smokey gray lenses. They have a new Tech-Lite glass lens that is supposed to be much lighter than teh avg. glass lens. I wanna pair-They run around 179. and come in several colors as well.

The smith peeps are great with their warranty. I had a rubber nose piece that had come slightly loose, and they replaced the whole thing for $30.00. (I think it was $30, or maybe it was free!) Ha! I think I'm mixing up REDINGTON with Smith!LOL!

Anyways, Smith....
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Sasha » February 12th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Favorite: Maui Jim with HCL lens.

Others that are close: Revos with the H20 lens and I also like Oakleys with polarized lenses in various colors.
Sasha

Postby lucfish » February 12th, 2012, 3:12 pm

If your only going to get one, just make sure it's made with glass. I myself use a prescription bifocal in brown by Smith Optics and like beachbum said great customer service. Broke the frame and had a new one a couple of weeks later, no charge.
lucfish

Postby Reyne » February 12th, 2012, 6:02 pm

I used to buy Ray Bans in grey and amber polarized, but since I now must wear progressive glasses, my optometrist hooked me up with polarized, progressive Maui Jims in grey and they're great for fishing. I expensed them thru my work as"safety glasses" allowance. This year, my allowance will be for amber ones.
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Lens color

Postby Rasputinj » February 12th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Reyne wrote:I used to buy Ray Bans in grey and amber polarized, but since I now must wear progressive glasses, my optometrist hooked me up with polarized, progressive Maui Jims in grey and they're great for fishing. I expensed them thru my work as"safety glasses" allowance. This year, my allowance will be for amber ones.

I also have the Maui Jim in grey, I will try them this year in amber. They seem to work well, a bit better then my Ray Bans. I have only heard good things about Smith Optics also.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby briansII » February 13th, 2012, 9:36 am

I'm mostly using copper or brown lens these days. Seems like I get good contrast, and able to pick out fish easier. I've tried a lot of different brands from expensive to cheapies. The biggest reason I kept/keep switching is how they fit. Currently rotating from Kaenon, to Guideline, to Haber. Kaenon has some of the nicest plastic lens I've tried. Guidelines fit me well, but the lens lack some clarity. Habers fit well, have great glass lens, but the photochormatic dealio just doesn't go dark enough on bright days. Great overcast day glasses though.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing