REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Custom Bluegill Fish Graphic on an Abel Creek Reel!!!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby sagebass » February 23rd, 2012, 2:07 pm

A few months back I decided to try to get Abel reels to design a custom bluegill fish graphic. Being from Central Illinois, bluegill happen to be my most targeted species with the fly rod. Bluegill present an excellent fly fishing opportunity as they have small mouths and aggressively target small terrestrials, midges and the like. We don't have too many fly fisherman in central IL, so when I'm out slaying bluegill left and right with my fly rod, I usually attract some attention. It's a great opportunity for introducing folks to the sport of fly fishing.

I've always been attracted to Abel's high quality reels and especially the aesthetic appeal of their custom fish graphic designs. I thought having a custom bluegill fish graphic would be an excellent way to boldly flaunt that my preferred fly fishing species is what many have dubbed the strongest freshwater fish pound for pound!

My initial thoughts were to develop the fish graphic around Abel's lightest reel, the TR Light. Now that I own both the Abel TR light and the Abel Creek LA I, I am of the opinion that the optimal reel for this fish graphic is the Creek LA I instead of the TR Light. While the TR Light is a sweet little reel, I think the LA I is the more versatile reel for the following reasons:

I think the TR Light at 3.1 oz. gains about .5 oz after adding the requisite backing (60 to 90 yds.) which makes the weight differences between the two reels negligible (the Abel Creek LA I weighs 3.8 oz). And I can get away with very little to no backing on my Abel Creek LA I since I rarely ever need my backing and the arbor is large enough that I don't worry about line coiling.

Plus the TR Light is fairly limited in that it could really only hold a full 1wt. (maybe a full 2wt.) or possibly a 1/2 DT 3wt. line. Whereas, the Abel Creek LA I has the potential for holding a full 1wt., 2wt., 3wt., or even a 4wt. line with little to no backing. In general, I think the Creek series is a tad more popular than the TR series. I know I really enjoy the narrower profile and larger diameter for quick line pickup and not having to consciously guide my line onto the spool for "evenness". So my idea has shifted to develop the Custom Bluegill Graphic around the Abel Creek LA I.

My initial efforts to get Abel to develop a custom bluegill fish graphic did not pan out; however I was recently able to pass along my ideas to the guys at Stillwater Fly Shop when they were following up with me about how I liked the Abel TR light that I recently purchased from them. (See the review of the TR Light here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=6020&view=unread#unread )

Given that Stillwater Fly Shop is the #1 Abel dealer, these guys have some serious pull within the Abel company. They frequently work very closely with Abel and they were instrumental in developing the recent "Bull Trout" fish graphic. The guys at Stillwater were very eager to get this project moving forward and they seemed very optimistic that we could get Abel to develop a bluegill fish graphic!

I'm super stoked about this. PLEASE chime in if you are interested in seeing or possibly getting one of these reels. I'm also interested in getting further opinions or good bluegill photos to potentially use in our efforts to design this graphic. My idea was to do something very tropical that really shows off the bright oranges, yellows, blues and greens. I'm under the impression that once we get the details worked out, Stillwater Fly Shop is going to get a small batch of these reels that will be available for sale. My name is first on the list. I will continue to add any further updates here as we continue developing this graphic!

MORE TO COME......

Colt

P.S. Here's one of the photos I have submitted to be considered for the graphic....

sagebass

Re: Custom Bluegill Fish Graphic on an Abel Creek Reel!!!

Postby lucfish » February 23rd, 2012, 3:13 pm

It's weird that Abel would be hesitant to make a few custom reels especially in todays market. I'm sure there hurting like most of the manufactures of flyfishing equipment. Anyway here is a picture of a nice blue shaded bluegill for you to consider. Good luck and hope you find the one your looking for.

lucfish

Postby WanderingBlues » February 24th, 2012, 1:12 am

Colt, that's a pretty neat idea. I would think any angler can appreciate the bluegill. As a kid who used to fish for bream, sunfish, etc, the bluegill was always the prize.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 24th, 2012, 8:17 am

That's pretty cool. I hope it happnes. Who among us did not catch the honoable B/G as one of their first fish? Even today. I marvel at their colors (Though the B/G's close cousin the Green Sunfish gets my vote for the prettiest.) It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby sagebass » February 24th, 2012, 9:25 am

Wanderingblues:

I very much agree with you. The concept of a bluegill fish graphic (to me) brings back memories fishing with my dad in the summertime hoping to gather a mess of fish so we could invite my grandparents over for a fish fry later than night.

Figuring out how to entice a bluegill to attack my fly is what initially drew me into fly tying and rod building. I loved tying terrestrials when I was younger, and I now love building ultralight rods to enjoy the tug of a feisty bream!
sagebass

Postby flybob » February 24th, 2012, 9:35 am

Sagebass, here is a So. Cal local bluegill with the nice pumpkin colored chin.
This is not one of the prettiest I have caught, but it is up there.

By the way, your photo submission is not a bluegill, it is a sunfish.

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby sagebass » February 24th, 2012, 10:03 am

Flybob:

That looks like a pretty hefty bluegill! I'm admittedly using the term "bluegill" very loosely to encompass all sorts of bream/sunfish/bluegill/pumpkinseeds/etc. I'm not sure which graphic Abel will settle on yet, so I'm gathering photos of whatever I can.

A member on another forum submitted this pretty cool closeup of a pumpkinseed:

I thought that it was pretty cool looking.....almost "tropical"!
sagebass

Postby briansII » February 24th, 2012, 11:23 am

If Sage built a Bluegill rod, Abel can certainly produce a Bluegill reel. :bananadance:

Love those little saucer plates.

Variations

briansII
briansII

Postby sagebass » February 24th, 2012, 1:52 pm

briansII wrote:If Sage built a Bluegill rod, Abel can certainly produce a Bluegill reel. :bananadance:

Agreed. But my problem with the Sage Bluegill rod is that it should be called the "Bass Rod". And the Smallmouth Bass Rod should be called the "Musky Rod". And the Largemouth Rod should be called the "Tarpon Rod". I think the Sage Bluegill rod is close to or equal to a 7wt. rod. : ( I'm afraid that our bluegill in IL don't get big enough to chase with a 7wt. rod.
sagebass

Postby Dry Fly Rie » February 24th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Oh man, I love anything that relates to bluegill. Definitely my favorite fish to fight on a fly rod. Here's a few more color samples of some San Diego 'gills:

Definitely an under-rated species to target on the fly. SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun!
Dry Fly Rie

Postby silverlaker » February 25th, 2012, 8:51 am

Hmmm, would this be their first fresh water, warm water species? I vote for the pumpkin seed above all others. When I'm in Tennessee my brother and I see who could catch more fish. I use the fly he goes with a ul spinning outfit. I always win. Primarily because of the pumpkinseed. They are among the most beautiful fish I've ever caught - and I'd easily catch twenty in a half day session. They're not as big as the smallies - but they put on a fight for their size! Their colors are mesmerizing. I'll see if I can dig up a few photos...
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby briansII » February 25th, 2012, 10:02 am

silverlaker wrote:Hmmm, would this be their first fresh water, warm water species?

I think they've done a largemouth and peacock bass reel. On the west coast, stripers are considered a warmwater species.

briansII
briansII

Postby sagebass » February 25th, 2012, 9:54 pm

And the carp graphic. I really think a sunfish/bluegill graphic would be pretty cool. I've had lots of positive cooments.
sagebass

Postby sagebass » March 5th, 2012, 7:32 am

So it looks like this project is underway! Beau, at Stillwater Fly Shop, contacted me this weekend to confirm that Abel reels agreed to work with us in developing the bluegill fish graphic! We have already put together some ideas for a prototype design, and Abel and Stillwater Fly Shop seem to think that we should have something sometime this summer.

Chris Barclay is chronicling the process here: http://breambum.blogspot.com/2012/03/ab ... aphic.html

Also, watch for future updates on The Fiberglass Manifesto as Cameron has been extremely helpful in getting this project underway!

As more developments are made Chris, Cameron and I will continue to update everyone!

Colt
sagebass

Postby darrin terry » March 5th, 2012, 8:39 am

Very cool, Colt. It's great to see you're efforts are paying off. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Return to General Fly Fishing