REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

To Chile Tomorrow..I think...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

To Chile Tomorrow..I think...

Postby STMFlyGuide » February 28th, 2012, 9:33 am

I had to put off my yearly Chile trip one month until now because of employee issuses... Now I am supposed to leave TOMORROW but there is rioting right where I am going... Google "southern Chile riots" and tell me what you think... My Dad is down there in Futaleufu where we live and the trouble seems to be moving closer.. The president of Chile is supposed to make and announcement today which could turn the situation in either direction...
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Re: To Chile Tomorrow..I think...

Postby fly addict » February 28th, 2012, 9:48 am

3rd world countries are not the place to be as an American during civil unrest. I remember surfing in El Salvador during the contra uprising. It wasn’t too bad where we were, but getting there and back through the capital of San Salvador was something I would not won’t to do again. Going through road blocks manned by kids with sub-machine guns was not my idea of having fun! You might not have any problems once you get to where you what to be, but the journey there might get interesting.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Eric1 » February 28th, 2012, 10:15 am

David checkout this link.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8794735 ... _fly_home/
Wait a week or so to see what happens. Now wouldn't be a good time to go
Eric
Eric1

Postby anacrime » February 28th, 2012, 11:14 am

Oof! Be safe, watch your back-cast 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby NorcalBob » February 28th, 2012, 1:45 pm

CRIKEY!!! I don't know what I'd do. All I can say, I was on the Futaleufu River about 20 miles from there last month (15 JAN) (on the ARG side) and there were no signs of unrest, problems, etc. Since you're very close to the Argentine border, if you have a vehicle, you have an easy way out if violence gets that far. One thing for sure, I'd travel through Argentina instead of Chile to get there, if I did choose to still go. No way in heck I'd go through Chile with all that garbage happening.

PS: My buddies were in the Aysen region of Chile, routed through Santiago, the first week of FEB and had no problems what so ever and saw no signs of unrest, revolt, etc. FWIW
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » February 28th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I dunno know, David. Don't be like the blonde chick in the movies where every hint in the world is shown, every clue is dropped, every opportunity to leave is given, but still finds herself at the hands of a serial killer.

That's just to real.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » February 28th, 2012, 5:44 pm

It's quite strange how almost all of the news stories about this violence are from Europe - especially the UK. Even the online LA Times which has a section for Latin America doesn't have a single news article about it. Not sure why this is, but it's quite interesting. I'd check the state department for travel advisories. Buena suerte.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby meb » February 28th, 2012, 7:54 pm

It's hard sometimes to know what's really going on.

In the late 80s I had a trip planned to an island off of Fiji, Tavarua, for a surfing adventure when the native Fijians decided to riot against the Indian majority that controlled the island's business. The bloodless coup stopped all commercial air travel. We cancelled our trip. There was very little coverage about it in the states.
meb

Postby Bakoguy » February 28th, 2012, 9:02 pm

You're good
First, unrest seems to be Aysen. If I remember you are quite North of Aysen.
Second, are you just going to leave dad by himself.
Third, fish are generally apolitical.
Fourth, I am guessing you have tied way to many mouse patterns to use here.

Chileans are good people they are not protesting against the US.
Your dad is not getting younger.
Have fun. Send pictures.
Bakoguy

Postby csimcox » February 29th, 2012, 12:00 am

Just think of it this way, you won't just be going on a trip, you'll be going on an adventure!
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby duckdog » February 29th, 2012, 8:53 am

I'd check with the state dept. on travel there. I'd think twice about it except for the fact that your dad is down there, that would push me in the going direction. Just don't tell anyone that you are from the U.S. Tell them that you are from Bishopastan. You know , just west of Nevadastan, south of Mammothastan and north of Big Pineomainia. Eastern Euro. accent, you can do itttt.

I worked for Gordon and Smith surfboards in the 1980's and one of our team riders went to El Salvador when there was a bit of trouble going on. In the town that he was staying in there were a few gun battles. He told me that during one of these little spat's while he was tucked under his bed he heard a very loud thump against his hotel wall. After things settled down he went outside to find an unexploded mortar round that had hit the wall of the room that he was in. He left !
BE VERY CAREFULL WHEN YOU GO-- and have fun.

Mike
duckdog

Postby briansII » February 29th, 2012, 10:37 am

Papasequoia wrote:It's quite strange how almost all of the news stories about this violence are from Europe - especially the UK. Even the online LA Times which has a section for Latin America doesn't have a single news article about it. Not sure why this is, but it's quite interesting. I'd check the state department for travel advisories. Buena suerte.

I followed a youtube link on a search I did. There are lots of videos of rioting from late last year, and one(I only looked at a few)from Jan 16th. of this year. Not too much written news on the current situation. :?:

Personally, I'd makes some contacts before I made a final decision. Leaving a family to be down there with my dad would be a tough decision.

Years ago we had a flight delay and had to stay over in Honduras while some civil unrest was happening. There were uniformed, and plain clothes young men(looked like teenagers)with automatic rifles. Same for in town. Lots of armed, military types. The hotel we stayed at said we should not go out at night. Had a very nice steak dinner INSIDE the hotel that night. Also had a very nice beer, that I've forgotten the name of. That was just the beginning of this "adventure", and we had lots more stories to tell from this vacation. Fun when I was single, in my 20s, but probably wouldn't have been so fun now. :|

briansII
briansII

Postby beachbum » February 29th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Take good care if you go, David! That's a tough call.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby STMFlyGuide » February 29th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Yeah, I can not stay back! I have the Chilean connection picking me up from the dirt runway of the Chaiten airport to help me get through anything is necessary.. Tried to leave this morning but my flight was cancelled out of Mammoth due to terrible winds. Leaving tomorrow!! Check out my updated fishing reports http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com/reports and watch for some large Chilean specimens to be put up very soon...If I had not been there before and was not able to almost fluently speak the language I would be thinking twice about going, the allure of the area and huge trout is just too much.. Thanks for all your advice. See you all soon. David
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » February 29th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Hey I got on my plane to New Zealand with a 102° fever which sucked for a 13 hour flight but it was well worth it now. Civil unrest is a bit different than being sick but believe me I did not want to get on my plane. Good luck and stay safe. New Zealand has been tough but we have caught some big browns and bows!!!!
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing