REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Preferred Waders

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Preferred Waders

Postby pescatore123 » March 5th, 2012, 7:01 pm

As a newb to fly fishing, I'm shopping for waders-the only pair I've ever owned were canvas and they were horrible and very restrictive-I've been looking at neoprene stocking foot waders and just wonder if the experienced fishermen on this forum would give me their .02 on what the preferred style is for comfort and durability-thanks
pescatore123

Re: Preferred Waders

Postby WanderingBlues » March 5th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Pretty much any Simms. Just get breathables.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flybob » March 5th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Simms are great, if you can afford them.....
if you are on a budget, (120.00 or less) you can do just fine with LL Bean ( lifetime no questions warranty) own two pairs of waist highs, just did not have the gaul to send back my 4 year old pair that I have worn the heck out of. Got my second pair for 79.00 with a coupon and free shipping.

Cabelas Dry Plus, ( I have owned a pair of these for 5 years, and still no leaks)

Shop around, while you are saving up for those Simms!

I am still saving for some Simms, just don't know if I will ever need to drop the Benjamins!

And welcome to the board!
bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby NorcalBob » March 5th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Personally, as a new person, I'd shop the discount rack online at a big box like Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc, and pick up some breathable waders on the cheap. On discount they usually go around $50-60. If you are still interested in doing the fly flinging thing a year later (that's about all you can expect out of a cheap wader) then look at upgrading to Simms or a high quality like brand from your local fly shop.
NorcalBob

Postby pescatore123 » March 5th, 2012, 10:01 pm

thanks for all the input
pescatore123

Postby Wildman » March 5th, 2012, 11:36 pm

Are you the rod builder? Welcome. What they said. Don't get neoprene waders...you will die in them 96% of the time. Don't skimp on wading boots, either. Both are tools that will serve you well for many years.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fflutterffly » March 6th, 2012, 5:06 am

I'm with NorcalBob on this one. Depending on what type of waters you'll be using, what type of bushes you be hacking around and your pocket book. I rarely wear my full waders, usually opting for my waist high. Here in SoCal it's usually very small riles and streams. Waist high are easy to put on, light weight, but you can't carry in them. Reddington has some nice convertible waders.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Artin » March 6th, 2012, 11:05 am

I prefer waders which don't leak :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No on a more serious note. Any of the suggestions above are great.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby pescatore123 » March 6th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Wildman wrote:Are you the rod builder? Welcome. What they said. Don't get neoprene waders...you will die in them 96% of the time. Don't skimp on wading boots, either. Both are tools that will serve you well for many years.

Thanks for all the advice guys-
re: Wildman, yes I am a rod builder-been building for over 25 years now-everything from rail rods for tuna to ultralights and fly rods
pescatore123

Postby lucfish » March 6th, 2012, 8:10 pm

When in doubt, just follow NorCal's advice. Welcome to the board.
lucfish

Postby silverlaker » March 6th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Welcome to the board! I'm curious to hear more about how you've managed to stay away from fly fishing despite building rods for 25 years. Are you like, not addicted to coffee and seldom, if ever, drink or somethin'?!! :)

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby pescatore123 » March 7th, 2012, 5:47 pm

silverlaker wrote:Welcome to the board! I'm curious to hear more about how you've managed to stay away from fly fishing despite building rods for 25 years. Are you like, not addicted to coffee and seldom, if ever, drink or somethin'?!! :)

Tom

:lol: :lol: well it's like this, several years ago I "attempted" to fly fish-I hooked so many trees, bushes, myself trying to learn to cast that I just hung it up-a good friend recently inspired me to actually use one of these sticks I've built and have been hitting local creeks and plan to do the Owens and other Sierra destinations this summer if time and $$ permits-thanks for asking,,,oh, and I drink an entire pot of coffee every morning and an occassional adult beverage
pescatore123

Postby OutThereAngeler » March 7th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Yea I would go with inexpensive pair first. Reddington makes a decent pair. And as suggested above, don't skim on boots, and now that they have studs for them, I wondered why it took so long for someone to invent them?.

and on that subject I would like to know people's opinion of Simms traditional felt bottoms and their new rubber soles with studs? I currently have felt bottoms with studs, but was wondering if it would be worth while upgrading.
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are cathedrals where I practice my religion"
-Anatoli Boukreev
OutThereAngeler

Return to General Fly Fishing