REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New DFG Stocking guidelines

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: New DFG Stocking guidelines

Postby rayfound » November 26th, 2008, 10:34 am

Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Benny » November 26th, 2008, 11:08 am

$250,000 :o just in the sale of fishing and hunting license....That's a huge chunk of change.... :?
Benny

Postby meb » November 26th, 2008, 11:47 am

Poaching and need for new regulations aside, I like the idea of that twenty mile stretch holding wild trout only. Maybe they could focus on making the lake more of a draw for bait and lure fisherman, sort of like Crowley.

MB
meb

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » November 26th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Flyjunkie wrote:Regarding More Money for the DFG To enforce the Regs..... I am all for that, but I fear with the Economic Status of the State.. the "Criminals" in Sacramento will try anything to steal Money from the DFG for the Budget and their Own Pet projects... If we could get a Law passed that All Money raised from Licenses and Fines paid STAYED with the DFG then it would be Great..

Please understand Me, I am not a Negative Person, but I've seen what The State will do with Money that is Supposed to be Earmarked for a Certain dept. ... they'll take it away for their Pet projects or some other Purpose then What we, the Voting Public, Feel it should be for and Paid with that in mind.... :?

I honestly Hope Everything works in Our Favour... but I will watch with a Distrusting eye......

YAAAAYYYY, SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO SAY!! :D :D
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Barrie Mann » November 27th, 2008, 10:17 am

wildfly wrote:[Now is the time that those with a voice on the Kern should be most vocal in trying to bring about change for the good of the river. If there aren't going to be stockers, let's make it a better place for wild fish. I personally am not able (allowed) to be part of the SSFFC so I don't really get much inside info on what is going on up on the Kern, but if others would be kind enough to help me with direction I will put my time and effort into the river as much as I can without stepping on toes. If the SSFFC would be willing to partner with our site in getting volunteers and spreading the word on what's going on and what is needed, I would be ALL FOR THAT.

Please don't take this as me trying to stoke any fires. I would like to see complete cooperation and really won't be satisfied with anything other than that. The rivers we care about need us to step up right now and at least TRY. I view this as a transitional time where we as a community can step up and turn this into a huge win for wild fisheries.

I've been giving this situation some thought and I'd like to bounce this idea of off our Forum for input. I believe that as the DFG has made the decision to stop stocking certain rivers and streams as of now through 2009 that they should impose special regulations on those rivers. My first choice would be C&R but I realize that this won't fly and will only anger the bait and hardware thrower fisher who also contribute money to the State coffers. Therefore I am suggesting a reduction in the daily limit to a max of two fish and four in possesion. In addition any fish under 10" and over 14" must be released unharmed. This will not reduce fishing pressure but will at least give some fish the chance to survive and propogate. A reduced limit will still encourage fishing and have a mimimum impact on local economies. I'd be interested in your comments.
Craig I'm no longer too welcome in the SSFFC either but I'm still a member and I'm willing to carry a torch to encourage not only the SSFFC but other FF Clubs and outdoor clubs to form an alliance and attempt to pursuade the DFG to modify it's thinking. But we will need a plan of action to present not just a list of complaints. If any of you have access to other forums feel free to copy this and post it. I can be reached at barriemann@mchsi.com
Barrie Mann
Barrie Mann

Postby RiverRat » November 27th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I absolutely agree that some sort of special regs need to be implemented. Most local business owners will be voicing that they want fished planted in the river starting now because its killing their business. I believe most of us support responsible stocking since it does have a purpose, but would like to see it managed way better. It would be great to have the DFG balance both fisheries better the way other states do it. But it would be a cultural change in the mentality of the DFG and people of our State.
The more of our clubs that show solidarity together the better.

1. The next California Fish and Game Commission Meeting is December 11-12, 2008 http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2008/121108agd.asp#fri
12:00 p.m. ** Resources Building
Auditorium*
1416 Ninth Street
Sacramento
The meeting will begin at 12:00 p.m. and the Commission will immediately go into Executive Session. The Public Forum is anticipated to begin at 1:30 p.m.

ALL MEETINGS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC The public is encouraged to comment on any item on the agenda. In order for the Commission to adequately consider public comments, the public is requested to submit written comments no later than ten days prior to the meeting.

2. For emergency reg changes contact and write letters contact inf0.....http://www.fgc.ca.gov/contact/contact.asp

" Probably the best known responsibility of the Commission is its general regulatory powers function, under which it decides seasons, bag limits and methods of take for game animals and sport fish. In adopting hunting (biennially--even-numbers years) and sport fishing regulations (biennially -- odd-numbered years), the Commission, in each case, holds a series of open public meetings (three for hunting and four for sport fishing) located in various parts of the state, so that individual and group input can be received and considered prior to adoption of new or changed regulations.

3. EIR manager and contact info...

link for info on the EIR look under http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/pubnotice/hatchery/

How to contact EIR project manager:

Department of Fish & Game Late-May 2009
Jim Starr Draft EIR/EIS due to be available for public review
830 "S" Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
dfghatcheryeir@dfg.ca.gov

THIS IS A GREAT LINK WHICH SHOWS THE CDFG PLAN for the EIR http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/pubnotice/ha ... 080801.pdf

Notice below that they didn't start the EIR process until Aug 26, 2008 when they knew they were being sued back in 2006 and had to know they were going to be forced into this per the CEQA.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/pubnotice/hatchery/NOP.pdf

thanks,

shane
anybody feel free to correct me if you see mistakes or if I'm reading things wrong
RiverRat

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing