REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Came to visit, thought I'd stay and join

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Came to visit, thought I'd stay and join

Postby Troutinator » March 7th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Just stopped in for my first post to say, "Hi". I've been invited by a few members on here, old (and new) friends that I have spent time on the water fishing as well as other outings. A little about myself for those others on here that don't know me. I live in Lemoore, CA, where I retired from the US Navy in 2003 (my wife retired from the US Navy in 2009). My wife, teenage daughter and I take fly fishing pretty seriously. We enjoy tying our own flies as well as building our own rods. We try to get out as often as possible, usually venturing up into the Sierras in search of wild trout in isolated creeks and rivers. Many times, it's with friends who also share our passion for fly fishing.
Presently, I'm sitting in my room in Key West, FL, looking out the window at the trees bending over and the white caps in the bay. I'm here on business with the US Navy as a contractor for three weeks and during my off time, I like to chase local fishies on the flats with my 10 wt fly rod. I have managed to catch a few 'cudas and such, but no tarpon, snook, permit or bonefish. The winds have been horrific since I've been down here, with gusts in the 30's. Just crazy weather. I come down here about 4 times a year, hopefully next time will allow me better fishing.

Anyways, don't want to ramble on too much. Again, just saying, "Hi".

Scott
Troutinator

Re: Came to visit, thought I'd stay and join

Postby Barrie Mann » March 7th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Hi Scott, I seem to remember Troutinator from another Forum and your teenage daughter being part of the "kids Academy" I'm now living in Central FL and fish the flats frequently. You just need to learn how to double haul and fish in the wind as it seems there is always wind on the flats. Anyway welcome to the forum a great group to belong to..
Barrie Mann

Postby Troutinator » March 7th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Ahem, yes, that's me. I'm trying to double haul, but my distance is not all that great. I use both sinking and floating line (I brought two reels). Umm, any tips on flies? I have a lot with me, but I also packed my traveling fly tying vise and some material. We do have a couple of fly shops here that carry material, so I can make what I don't have.
Troutinator

Postby fly addict » March 7th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Scott,
Welcome to the forum. It's about time you joined.
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Troutinator » March 7th, 2012, 2:20 pm

fly addict wrote:Scott,
Welcome to the forum. It's about time you joined.
Mark

Hey, "Mister", I've been busy. :lol: I know, I know. Heard a lot of good things about this forum and the people that are here. How can someone like me possibly resist such temptation?
Troutinator

Postby Papasequoia » March 7th, 2012, 2:23 pm

Ah, a long lost member of the Coed Naked Fly Fishing Club. Good to see you. Um, clothed, that is. :lol: Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Troutinator » March 7th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Ah, a long lost member of the Coed Naked Fly Fishing Club. Good to see you. Um, clothed, that is. :lol: Jon

There's this awesome, out of the way, "clothing optional" beach here in Key West that just has the best fly fishing and snorkeling. Cudas are abundant in the shallow warm water, which makes nude snorkeling somewhat, um, hazardous to one's health. Hasn't stopped me, however. Now there's some pics of nature that are best left "off the forum". :oops:
Troutinator

Postby Barrie Mann » March 7th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Troutinator wrote:Ahem, yes, that's me. I'm trying to double haul, but my distance is not all that great. I use both sinking and floating line (I brought two reels). Umm, any tips on flies? I have a lot with me, but I also packed my traveling fly tying vise and some material. We do have a couple of fly shops here that carry material, so I can make what I don't have.

Tie yourself some Clousers in white and chartrouse on a number 4 and 1 size hook. Also tie some shrimp patterns on a # 6 hook. My go to fly at the moment is the bunny fly tied on a #6 as well as a pink puglisi style tied on a # 1 hook in pink. Forget the sinking line on the flats stick with the floating line and go with at least a 12 foot leader and don't forget to use a heavier shock tippet. Last but not least visit the fly shops and pick their brains for locations to fish. Also reading the water of a flat is very different than a river or lake. Look for "Pot Holes", drop offs etc. and fish the * out of them. It took me a year to learn but now I catch Reds, trout and snook on a regular basis. Don't forget to strike by stripping and not by raising the rod. Good hunting.
Barrie Mann

Postby darrin terry » March 7th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Welcome Scott. Glad to see just your face around here. :lol: Well maybe some fish too I suppose. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby lucfish » March 7th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Welcome aboard. You know enough of the guys, I'm sure you'll feel right at home.
lucfish

Postby RichardCullip » March 7th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Welcome aboard, Scott. It took you long enough to wander over here and join the gang.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Eric1 » March 7th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Welcome to the site Scott.
Eric
Eric1

Postby Papasequoia » March 7th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Craig wrote:We have some great guys and a few weird ones that live in Ridgecrest. :fart:

Yeah, that Raider and BradW sure are strange. Thank goodness there's some sane people who live here. Image
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Artin » March 7th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Welcome to the board,
I've read some of your posts on the other forum. You'll fit right in here. Come on in..... the water is fine!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby WanderingBlues » March 7th, 2012, 4:56 pm

I've lurked on the other board as well and have always enjoyed reading your posts. Welcome to FFA!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing