REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Looking for Love

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Looking for Love

Postby WanderingBlues » April 6th, 2012, 2:40 am

I'm a middle aged male who likes long walks on streams. I love to swing and am looking for a fast action beauty. Size and appearance are a must so you need to be at least 8'6" and a 3wt. I prefer an American over offshore, and want someone with enough backbone to sing in an Eastern Sierra breeze, but delicate enough to show sensitivity when the moment calls for it. I'm not cheap, but I also work for a living.

If you think you fill the requirements, let me know. I'm thinking a first date in Mammoth would be just the ticket...

Seriously, I'm shopping for a EW/HC/UO set up to compliment the high Sierra 1wt rig. Thinking a 9' 3wt. Any suggestions out there for a stick and reel?
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Looking for Love

Postby Reyne » April 6th, 2012, 7:04 am

That's funny. Good luck, Curtis. Which ever one you decide to go with, blonde, brunette, redhead, make sure you treat her with the utmost respect, and devote as much time together as possible. :)
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby duckdog » April 6th, 2012, 8:02 am

Curtis, I just recently scratched the graphite itch with a 5wt Helios. I have tried the 4wt as well and it is a really nice rod though I have never tried the 3 wt. I did try the Sage one in 5 wt and 4 wt. and fell in love with it. After realizing that I had a bunch of credit at Cabela's on top of a 50$ off coupon (they send one every spring so I was just waiting for it),I now have a sage one 4wt.(they ship that rod for free). I have not fished the 4wt. but I took it for a test ride on a windy morning, it's a good one. If I am going to be getting into big fish I tend to stay with 4wt or bigger. I know that alot of guy's are going to post pic's of big fish that they landed with their 2and 3wt's ,but big fish and wind , to me , means 4-6wt rods. Some guy's swear by their 3 wt's ,a matter of taste. The Orvis and the Sage are both very light, the orvis is lighter . The Sage is 70$ lighter in price. Both are pretty pricey but I figure that I will be fishing those rods till I am to old to get out there any more. Good luck , have fun with it.

Mike
duckdog

Postby JGFLYFISH » April 6th, 2012, 8:37 am

8'6" 4wt TFO Professional...

JG
JGFLYFISH

Postby planettrout » April 6th, 2012, 9:12 am

Go SPOIL yourself Curtis...

http://cfbflyrods.com/rods/trout/

PT/TB :funnyup:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby pescatore123 » April 6th, 2012, 9:24 am

have one built exactly the way you want it
pescatore123

Postby Artin » April 6th, 2012, 10:16 am

Curtis,
Given any thoughts to a cane rod?

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby briansII » April 6th, 2012, 10:31 am

This one may have been made off shore, but looks to fit your desires.

briansII
briansII

Postby rkfiske » April 6th, 2012, 10:39 am

I just posted the antithesis of what you seek up in the for sale and trade section. 7' 3wt glass rod haha. I know you want something that can handle a breeze so this may not be the one for you, but if you come to the casting games tomorrow you can at least check it out.

Perhaps her smooth slow wiggle will send you over the edge!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby lucfish » April 6th, 2012, 10:55 am

Curtis: I have to agree with what duckdog wrote. Chances are you can get away with a 3 weight on HC and the UO as long as the wind is not blowing, but the running man river that's a little small IMHO. There is too much wind and you always have that shot at a real pig. If you hook that big one you will most likely lose it. Also a 3 weight is too light if the flows are heavy and you need to get a bunch of shot down at the bottom in a hurry. That river can be 25-900cfs. I almost always use a four weight 9 foot(sage) for dry fly and 5 weight 9'6" (also sage) for nymphing with either indicator or czech style. I do use those also on HC, UO and LO. But if the flows are down and there is little or no wind will use my winston (2 weight). There is too much of a difference in the streams to only have one rod. My suggestion is to go to Marriotts as they have the most rods of varying brands and see what you like the most. As far as reels go I have a soft spot for Ross but there are many, many other reels that are just as good or better.
lucfish

Postby Flatsix » April 6th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Curtis, I'm with Luc on this.

If you are fishing HC, the O, Crowley and the wind kicks up you'll wish your were fishing a minimum 8'6-9'0 5wt.

You know that I love the lighter gear and I'll always rig it and stick it in the car just in case but if the winds blowing and you're outgunned and need a 4-5wt, your day is done.
Flatsix

Postby WanderingBlues » April 6th, 2012, 3:14 pm

I have a TFO 9'5wt for the bigger flows that might occur on the running man, though I can tell you I would not be up there in the 300+ flows. I think I'm looking for something with a bit more spline from the 1wt when I'm in the valley or in breezier areas. Definitely not a "one rod does all" but more of a compliment to the lesser that can handle larger conditions.

That TXL 1wt has taken 18" fish out of current on the SJ, so I'm hoping a good 3wt could handle the same, or slightly larger models from time to time.

I'll check out Marriots. And Ryan, if you have ever seen me trying to cast Sean's Lamiglass, or Dr. Creeks SPL's, you'd know very quickly that I'm ridiculous using slower action.... Ugly I tell you!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » April 6th, 2012, 3:30 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:I have a TFO 9'5wt for the bigger flows that might occur on the running man, though I can tell you I would not be up there in the 300+ flows. I think I'm looking for something with a bit more spline from the 1wt when I'm in the valley or in breezier areas. Definitely not a "one rod does all" but more of a compliment to the lesser that can handle larger conditions.

That TXL 1wt has taken 18" fish out of current on the SJ, so I'm hoping a good 3wt could handle the same, or slightly larger models from time to time.

I'll check out Marriots. And Ryan, if you have ever seen me trying to cast Sean's Lamiglass, or Dr. Creeks SPL's, you'd know very quickly that I'm ridiculous using slower action.... Ugly I tell you!

If you have a 5wt, then I think you're headed in the right direction. I love fishing my 3 weights. I've hooked some big fish with it, and did an ok job landing them. I just know my limitations with a 3 wt, and grab something bigger when needed.

Let's face it. This won't be your last trout rod. You can fill in the gaps at a later date. :D

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » April 6th, 2012, 3:58 pm

If you already have a 1 & 5 WT, the next logical step is a 3 WT. There are a ton of good 3 WTS out there, from Orvis, Sage, TFO, Redington, Scott, etc, etc, etc. Go cast all of them at your local fly shop or at the next show and pick the one you like the best. They're all good.
NorcalBob

Postby darrin terry » April 6th, 2012, 4:19 pm

briansII wrote:…Let's face it. This won't be your last trout rod.

Um, understatement. :lol:

briansII wrote:…You can fill in the gaps at a later date.

No, you WILL fill in the blanks at a later date. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing