REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

And the environmentalists strike again

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

And the environmentalists strike again

Postby Pigeon » April 7th, 2012, 7:34 am

http://www.recorderonline.com/articles/ ... -pack.html

A group has now filed a lawsuit to remove commercial stock packing in wilderness areas. This is tragic as now only the fit can gain access to out back country. I have taken my 65 year old father in via this commercial packers for over a decade. Furthermore the packers do a lot to maintain our trails. This just makes me sad as if this goes through there are things that we have really lost,

Pigeon
Pigeon

Re: And the environmentalists strike again

Postby darrin terry » April 7th, 2012, 7:43 am

I wonder if we can all get together and sue the parks to have the environmentalists banned from wilderness areas dues to the negative impact by infringing upon the rights of others in their pursuit of happiness.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Re: Hikers Association

Postby Benny » April 7th, 2012, 7:56 am

That really does suck for the Shew family. Not to mention all the other people that use the pack animals, especially the physically challenged. There needs to be some balance here, allowing only fit able bodied hikers to access the back country is complete bull. What is it with people these days??? If the Hikers Association is so concerned about stepping on horse * they should watch where they step.
Benny

Postby NorcalBob » April 7th, 2012, 11:05 am

Don't call that group "environmentalists". They are not. They are a special interest users group that doesn't want to share the wilderness with any one who does things differently than them. They are "special interest hogs", not environmentalists! :deadhorse:
NorcalBob

Postby BobK » April 7th, 2012, 4:08 pm

I 2nd norcal Bobs post %100. a large percentage of these people would like to see all non-native fish removed. BobK
BobK

Postby Artin » April 7th, 2012, 4:09 pm

I am really over these so called enviornmentalists. Who are these a-holes! There is just no let up with these idiots. Can someone slap these people for me? Baby powder the palm and spat!

This is pathetic!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby WanderingBlues » April 7th, 2012, 4:38 pm

I consider myself to be an environmentalist. I value our natural treasures, I spend time in wild places, and I have a deep respect for ethos that encourage leaving no trace, and making sure it was better than when you found it. I also know that resources can be used with minimal impact, and by folks who are true outdoorsmen as opposed to well healed intellectuals who would rather 'wax poetic' over the musings of John Muir then spend time in the wild.

There is no call for this action, other than a lobby group with money showed up at a lawmakers office.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Wildman » April 7th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Ask me how I feel about stock in the back country?

I wonder who is going to haul the supplies and equipment for the back country trail maintenance crews? They spend weeks back there and the packers resupply them with food, fuel and oil for chain saws and other supplies. As I approach my 65th, I am planning on being horseback well into my nineties.

Knuckleheads!
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Reyne » April 7th, 2012, 11:49 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:I consider myself to be an environmentalist. I value our natural treasures, I spend time in wild places, and I have a deep respect for ethos that encourage leaving no trace, and making sure it was better than when you found it. I also know that resources can be used with minimal impact, and by folks who are true outdoorsmen as opposed to well healed intellectuals who would rather 'wax poetic' over the musings of John Muir then spend time in the wild.

There is no call for this action, other than a lobby group with money showed up at a lawmakers office.

Curtis, sounds to me that you're a "conservationist". I share your and others in this forum's views in respect to enjoying our great outdoors responsibly. As sportsmen, we strive to conserve the resources that we derive our pleasure, and for some their livelyhood, for today and future generations. Unfortunately, we are forced to share it with others whose views differ drastically. I hope I didn't offend you, but "environmentalist" is such a dirty word in my head.
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby fly addict » April 8th, 2012, 8:40 am

I think this would make a great slogan on a bumper-sticker!
:gun: “Save the Environment Ban the Environmentalists”…

Some of these environmental groups think people are not part of the environment and do not belong in the great outdoors. They think doing activates like flyfishing, hunting, mountain biking, camping, horseback riding or even just walking through the woods should be banned. And with the way this once great country valued personal choices and freedoms. They are slowly taken away by special interest groups and politicians that bit by bit deny us those freedoms.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby anacrime » April 8th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Wildman wrote:[img]
I wonder who is going to haul the supplies and equipment for the back country trail maintenance crews? They spend weeks back there and the packers resupply them with food, fuel and oil for chain saws and other supplies.

Shouldn't be an issue, right? The issue is regarding commercial stock.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Wildman » April 8th, 2012, 2:29 pm

There is only so much the volunteers can do. Most of them are my age and older. Commercial outfits pick up the the slack. Point is...this group wants all stock out of the high country. Until you faced one of these types on the trail and listened to their tirade (as we pack in supplies to the trail crew of 15), you've haven't had the pleasure of dealing with extremists. The gal and guy I ran into would make a drunk sailor blush with their language. They didn't want to step off the trail for 30 seconds for us to pass and then complained even louder when one of the mule's packs brushed them because they weren't off the trail.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby NorcalBob » April 8th, 2012, 2:38 pm

<<<Shouldn't be an issue, right? The issue is regarding commercial stock>>>
Back in the old days when I worked for the USNPS & USFS, most of our supplies, equipment, etc, was packed in by commercial packers. These were the same dudes who ran the pack station trips that this group is complaining about. So yes, it is an issue if commercial packers are not permitted in wilderness areas.
NorcalBob

Postby anacrime » April 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Gotcha.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby meb » April 9th, 2012, 11:41 am

This gives environmentalists a bad name. It seems like it has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with their selfish outlook. I'm not any kind of horseman, but I have ridden horses to explore the Upper Kern or camp near goldens streams and lakes, and the it was obvious that the packers that we hired cared and took care of the resources.

MB
meb

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing