REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Original Rio Selective Trout line?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Original Rio Selective Trout line?

Postby anacrime » December 1st, 2008, 7:48 am

Anyone have any experience with this line? I'm looking to pick up a 6wt fly line for NZ and want to go cheap, if possible. I think they discontinued this line and replaced it with Selective Trout II but eBay still has a few. Any opinions?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: Original Rio Selective Trout line?

Postby Flyjunkie » December 1st, 2008, 9:36 am

Selective Trout will allow you delicate presentations.. but you can lob heavy Nymphs as well... it's a Great Line... I have it on a spool for my 4 wt. and use it often enough.....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby anacrime » December 1st, 2008, 9:41 am

Flyjunkie wrote:Selective Trout will allow you delicate presentations.. but you can lob heavy Nymphs as well... it's a Great Line... I have it on a spool for my 4 wt. and use it often enough.....

will i be able to cast well on my fast action echo classic?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby dna » December 1st, 2008, 2:04 pm

You'll be able to hang, but it may be better if you went with the Rio Grand or SA GPX as it is a half size heavier and better suited to faster rods.

I have the ST 4wf and have been pretty happy with it on a medium 4 wt. I have been able to "lob heavy nymphs" as Dean said, though not very comfortably if it's all day. I like the SA XPS better though...

If it's a great deal, then go for it. But I'd maybe look around first.

line changes, change 8-)
dna

Return to General Fly Fishing