REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Who wins Brown or Rainbow?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Who wins Brown or Rainbow?

Postby Trootfisher » April 27th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:I only heard rumor of these angler's surveys people talk about. I've been asked to fill them out by game wardens before, but where I was told to look for them there were none. I have never seen them. I suppose one might be able to fill them out online?

They are not on every stream, but they are out there.
And there are plenty of reports documenting DFG survey efforts for the streams, and they do use the angler survey data as part of their population monitoring efforts.
I would gladly provide the links here but I always get yelled at for posting information that is already on other public websites.

So, PM if you want more info...
Trootfisher

Postby darrin terry » April 27th, 2012, 5:53 pm

I know they only have them on certain waters, but even on the ones I've fished that supposedly have them did not when I looked. I keep a pen in my truck for things like that.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Reyne » April 27th, 2012, 6:13 pm

I know of three I walk passed just this month, here locally...two of which more than once!
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby tenandtwo » April 28th, 2012, 9:12 am

A couple things...

First, awesome shots! I doubt less than 1% of fish make it to that size, hopefully more and they know how to stay hidden and not get caught! I saw one, back in 2009 that was the largest brown I had ever seen locally. I have never seen it again, but they are out there, very cool to have photos to prove it.

Second, I walked up on what I am pretty sure was about to be a break in on my truck as well a couple months back, same situation, backed in for a getaway and lots of stupid questions when I walked up on them. Be careful! There are some bad guys out there up to a lot more than just killing all the fish they catch.

I fill out those surveys sometimes, like 1 in 5, guess I should carry a pen every time.
tenandtwo

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing