REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Who wins Brown or Rainbow?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Who wins Brown or Rainbow?

Postby clee » April 19th, 2012, 9:21 am

Now we know.

My friend sent me this pic from the last time he fished this water in our local mountains. I tied up some 6 inch rainbow patterns to see if I could catch this guy. He was no longer in that hole or he refused to show his face. I'm afraid some of the bait anglers are taking all the "big" fish out of the waters. We saw a hole lot of beer cans, trash and a boulder that was blood stained that looked curiously like an outline of a trout. What a shame.

But the picture is pretty cool. My buddy says that brown just held onto that bow like a dog bone forever.
clee

Re: Who wins Brown or Rainbow?

Postby Artin » April 19th, 2012, 9:46 am

Nice picture.
It would be a shame to have taken that thing out of there. That fish must have been a few years old and the top predator within that pool.

Makes me want to yak hearing stuff like that. With all the put and take fisheries, I just don't get why people still act like 3 year old children and go after something that clearly has had to fight so hard to survive this long to become king of it's realm!

Thanks for posting.

And I hope that the blood stain on the rocks was just a freakish resemblance to a fishes outline and in reality one of those guys who dirtied the place has a nice scrape or cut from falling as a result of obviously not respecting his/her surroundings and the privilege of being there....

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby Wildman » April 19th, 2012, 6:59 pm

I'm teaching a class for PIO's at the SBNF HQ and one of the fellows that runs a trail crew was down in one of the drainages and some one walked by with two 16" trout on a stringer just last week. Can't imagine what goes through their minds.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » April 19th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Unfortunately, it's legal to keep 2. So long as they have limited ability to enforce due to manpower, it's gonna be like that.

Awesome pics though. Amazing, really.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby 1mocast » April 19th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Cool Shot...It reminds me of the Sherriff Joe's Post a couple of years ago on Samson.

Time to go back and play fetch with at doggy... ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby flybob » April 19th, 2012, 8:08 pm

1mocast wrote:Cool Shot...It reminds me of the Sherriff Joe's Post a couple of years ago on Samson.

Funny, I was thinking of Samson as well!
That was one AWESOME fish! :o
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Artin » April 19th, 2012, 8:33 pm

I remember that. Wasn't that a video?

I was completly awestruck..

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby clee » April 19th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Anyone have a link to the post you guys are referring to?

Also I forgot to mention the last time my buddy fished here his truck was broken into and lost a backpack full of gear including his new Lamson reel. So naturally he was a bit concerned this time especially seeing the parking lot with broken saftey glass everywhere. When we made it out and back to the parking lot there was some A-hole scoping his truck, when he saw us he tried to play it cool and act like he was looking for something in his van. He parked right next to us backend first for a quick get away. We knew what he was doing. He left us as we broke down our gear. We took his license number and my buddy is going to forward it to the Rangers station. He was in a beat up old model blue dodge van. * meth heads. Watch out. I told my buddy if we return I'm packing.
clee

Postby darrin terry » April 20th, 2012, 12:17 am

Clee, check your messages.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby clee » April 20th, 2012, 12:21 am

Thank you. That was awesome!
clee

Postby dray » April 20th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Wow that's amazing thanks.

When I was a kid my buddy and I were fishing a small bass pond in a boat and every few minutes we would see a huge white belly come to the surface and sort of just roll and disappear again. So we kept looking for it to try and catch it with our net. After several failed attempts, we finally netted this huge bass. A closer look at it revealed he was actually choking on another smaller bass that was wedged in his throat. After a few moments and a couple quick * we removed the smaller (now dead) bass from his mouth and that was all he needed, because he got crazy and flopped out of our hands back into the water. True story.
dray

Postby clee » April 27th, 2012, 4:48 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Unfortunately, it's legal to keep 2. So long as they have limited ability to enforce due to manpower, it's gonna be like that.

I was fishing with a buddy one time and at the end he stoped at the angler's survey and started to fill it out. I asked him what the heck are you doing? He told me that DFG biologist really take into consideration what is said on those surveys. If everyone filled one out and the DGF deem that water to be significant then they will impose stricter fishing policies, ie catch and release, barbless, fly fishing only so on, not only that but they will put more resources into keeping that water clean, free of trash etc. I've never filled one of those surveys out before then and I'm now ashamed to admit it. I hope all here that fish our small but wonderful wild trout do the same for now on if you don't already. Hopefully most if not all of our precise wild trout become CNR.
clee

Postby Reyne » April 27th, 2012, 5:12 pm

clee wrote:
WanderingBlues wrote:Unfortunately, it's legal to keep 2. So long as they have limited ability to enforce due to manpower, it's gonna be like that.

I was fishing with a buddy one time and at the end he stoped at the angler's survey and started to fill it out. I asked him what the heck are you doing? He told me that DFG biologist really take into consideration what is said on those surveys. If everyone filled one out and the DGF deem that water to be significant then they will impose stricter fishing policies, ie catch and release, barbless, fly fishing only so on, not only that but they will put more resources into keeping that water clean, free of trash etc. I've never filled one of those surveys out before then and I'm now ashamed to admit it. I hope all here that fish our small but wonderful wild trout do the same for now on if you don't already. Hopefully most if not all of our precise wild trout become CNR.

I never thought that those surveys did much, but because I'm one who never filled one out, I'm no help either. If what your friend says is true, then I'll keep a pencil in my pack from now on. I've often wished that certain areas had stricter regs, and walk right past a survey station on my way out. :oops:
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby darrin terry » April 27th, 2012, 5:17 pm

I only heard rumor of these angler's surveys people talk about. I've been asked to fill them out by game wardens before, but where I was told to look for them there were none. I have never seen them. I suppose one might be able to fill them out online?
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby clee » April 27th, 2012, 5:25 pm

My friend does a lot of volunteer work with the DFG so thats what they tell him.

I've only seen those surveys at a few waters. To my knowledge, I don't think they all have them. DT maybe you can submit them online but I'm not sure.
clee

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing