REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Get out and fish.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Get out and fish.

Postby fflutterffly » April 30th, 2012, 6:52 am

I have tons of photos, but only one I will share at the moment. Just got back form a 5 state fishing trip: Utah (fished with Borntoflyfish. Thanks for the fantastic box of specially tied flies!!!), Idaho, Montana, Nevada and California.
This trip ended with 4 days in Bishop. Don't get all excited about the well-fare of this fish. I know it looks like I have a death grip on this 20", but I was completely alone on the water at 7:00 A.M. I had to hold it vertically to fit it into the frame. Before I took the photo I had my camera ready, hands wet and the fish still in the net. As you can see he is as far as I could reach, the camera was appx. 34" away from the fish. So... this is a big fat fish caught on 410 z-axis with a disco midge #20, a small sierra stream the day before opening.

The day of opening, I was sitting at my car and this man pulls up. We chat and he hands me a brown leech #12 with a little flash, " running a midge behind this leech and you'll be very surprised." I did and I was. Out of this far off weir I pulled at least 20 fish to hand, to the chagrin of all the spin fisherman who finally left in disgust, and most were 12-16". My new favorite pattern.

Go fishing!!!!!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: Get out and fish.

Postby WanderingBlues » April 30th, 2012, 7:13 am

Nice road trip! How were the crowds for opener? We specifically stayed away for said reason.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flybob » April 30th, 2012, 7:40 am

Well at least you did not lip it, like I did mine, and caught lots of flack for it! :oops:
Hey Ariel, rotate the image 90 deg. and blur the background, it will look just fine! :lol:

Glad you had a great time!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby lucfish » April 30th, 2012, 8:46 am

Excellent. Curious as to the crowds before opening day. I know opening day was crazy, it always is, but to put it to the spin bait slingers does have some personal satisfaction especially when your doing the release. What about the other states? How did you do?
lucfish

Postby fflutterffly » April 30th, 2012, 2:30 pm

to my my surprise opener was not that wild or crazy, at least when I went fishing, which is always early in the morning, since I wake early. Both waters I fished were empty till about 11:00. The line up at Crowley must have been unbelievable, lots of boats on with "for sale" signs.
Get out and fish!
fflutterffly

Postby darrin terry » April 30th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Sounds like you had a fantastic trout tour Ariel. Looking forward to more stories and pics. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby fflutterffly » April 30th, 2012, 3:14 pm

The best part of this forum are the people. Most importantly is having a chance to fish and sit with some of the folks who are not from our area. In Provo, Utah I had the great pleasure of meeting both Rose and Keith (borntoflyfish), dine on a great home made meal (thank you Rose) and get guided on the Provo. With the weather driving the fishing the fish down and the water up we had little luck, but fun, well I can tell you I'd go out with Keith in a breath for a day on the water. Both Rose and Keith joined a member of another forum I frequent for a day on the Weber. Here I hooked into some nice fish, while Keith and Mrs. R were off on other water. I'm told my my host of the Weber, Scott *, that the fish went off big time once the sun came out and, of course, we had left. Next time.
Here is a shot of the great box of flies Borntoflyfish presented to me upon my arrival. Many produced some very nice fish along the way, but I have to admit I used it sparingly. (ah sentimental)
fflutterffly

Postby Devinpreston » April 30th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Nice fish I was at that same stream the day before the opener maybe I saw you, we didn't get there till 11 or so I also fished the opener but I fished a small stream going into that lake and we did really well I had a solid 50 fish day.
Devinpreston

Postby fflutterffly » April 30th, 2012, 8:34 pm

If you saw a woman fishing with a tenkara rod, that was Karen. Glad you got out and did the water. Great fun!
fflutterffly

Postby Devinpreston » April 30th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Haha yeah I think I saw you I was at the tree spot, did you stop and talk to me about my go pro camera that I had on my head? Or Karen stopped and talked to me
Devinpreston

Postby Wildman » April 30th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Glad you and Karen made the Grand Western Tour! That fish is incredible. I might see you at the LBCC clinic in the coming weeks. I'm coming in for the remedial course.....
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Reyne » April 30th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Nice TR , and I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to disgust the spinfishers on purpose. :lol:
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Get out and fish.

Postby Rasputinj » April 30th, 2012, 10:41 pm

That is a beautiful fish, sounds like a great trip
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Artin » May 1st, 2012, 9:11 am

Wow, a multi state-er! that's awesome. I love the vertical shot by the way.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby briansII » May 1st, 2012, 12:03 pm

Sounds like a fun trip Ariel. I happened to be in the same area opening day.

Looks like your holding a big, sub sandwich. :lol: :lol:

briansII
briansII

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing