REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

laguna nigel lake

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

laguna nigel lake

Postby fflutterffly » December 2nd, 2008, 3:48 pm

Has anyone fished here? I was thinking of going there tomorrow, which would be Wednesday. You know flies, rod, line... what ever you'd like to say
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: laguna nigel lake

Postby flybob » December 2nd, 2008, 3:51 pm

HA LOL! I just asked the same thing!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=771

http://www.lagunaniguellake.com/index.html

here is the link!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Benny » December 2nd, 2008, 3:56 pm

Ha ha....I just answered Bobs question :lol: :lol:
Benny

Postby flybob » December 2nd, 2008, 3:59 pm

well if this will help you Ariel, they just stocked it yesterday with Steelies!

you can go and let us know how it went?
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Flyjunkie » December 2nd, 2008, 5:05 pm

flybob wrote:well if this will help you Ariel, they just stocked it yesterday with Steelies!

you can go and let us know how it went?

Sorry... but if they don't head out to Sea, they ain't Steelhead... The Ocean environment is what makes a Steelhead a steelhead.... Not being just hatched from Steelhead parent stock.... :? 8-)

Try fishing Midge Patterns... Folks, who've I've talked to, who've fished it always mention fishing Midge Patterns for success... Like the "Midge Indicator" fishing one uses on Crowley....
;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby flybob » December 2nd, 2008, 8:11 pm

Hey Dean, this is what they have on the Home Page to the site:

"Laguna Niguel Lake is proud to introduce Steelhead Trout this year. 6,000 pounds total of Steelhead will be stocked in the month of December–January. The Steelhead Trout are known for their broad shoulders with colors of bluish-green along the back fading to olive, with small regularly spaced spots covering the sides, back and both lobes of the tail. The color becomes silvery to white along the belly. The difficulties of landing a hooked steelhead in winter are legendary."

not being an afficiando of the Steelhead, what are they really saying here?

Bob
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Flyjunkie » December 2nd, 2008, 8:39 pm

flybob wrote:Hey Dean, this is what they have on the Home Page to the site:

"Laguna Niguel Lake is proud to introduce Steelhead Trout this year. 6,000 pounds total of Steelhead will be stocked in the month of December–January. The Steelhead Trout are known for their broad shoulders with colors of bluish-green along the back fading to olive, with small regularly spaced spots covering the sides, back and both lobes of the tail. The color becomes silvery to white along the belly. The difficulties of landing a hooked steelhead in winter are legendary."

Bob

BOB,
They are Blowing Smoke up Your *.......... :? ;)
(In a Nice way... I'm saying that...)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby meb » December 2nd, 2008, 9:00 pm

My wife or I walk our dog around it most every day, and I'm always paying attention to the fishing, so here's a few thoughts.

First, the lake had a fish kill this summer probably due to warm water/lack of oxygen. Hundreds of carp, bass, catfish, bluegills... were floating and washed up on the banks. Since then the warm water fish that survive there year-round seem to be severely diminished in numbers. I haven't seen too many people catching fish lately and the number of anglers fishing for the warm water species has been reduced to almost zero.

As far as the trout, when they stock the lake (and I think they just began last week) the fishing looks pretty fast and furious. Lots of hookups. For the last few years indicator fishing seems to be the favorite method, although I'm sure streamers would work.

I believe they are getting their fish from Nebraska, so their connection to steelhead is probably pretty far removed. I'm with Dean on this. Steelhead must, by definition, go to salt water.

Hope this helps.

Mark
meb

Postby mleng » December 2nd, 2008, 10:05 pm

fflutterffly wrote:Has anyone fished here? I was thinking of going there tomorrow, which would be Wednesday. You know flies, rod, line... what ever you'd like to say

Hi fflutterffly,

I used to fish a LNL quite a bit when they had the Utah trout. If you don't already have midges, they sell the basic patterns in the shop. I recommend using a good stiff 4 or 5 wt rod. You'll need a foam indicator which you set at the top of your leader (straight mono works the best). The trick is to get the flies directly suspended within a foot or two of the bottom.

LNL is also a good place to practice stillwater nymphing or even stripping streamers.

I hope this help a little,

Mo

Here's a pic of some midges from a stomach pump I took this past weekend while stillwater fishing.

mleng

Postby fflutterffly » December 3rd, 2008, 7:12 am

thanks for the 411. OK on the midges and pos. streamers. Got them all. good on the 5wt sagexp. might just take my Wright/McGill 6wt that is as stiff as an 8wt. Report to follow!
fflutterffly

Postby flybob » December 3rd, 2008, 7:17 am

fflutterffly wrote:thanks for the 411. OK on the midges and pos. streamers. Got them all. good on the 5wt sagexp. might just take my Wright/McGill 6wt that is as stiff as an 8wt. Report to follow!

Good luck Ariel!
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby mleng » December 3rd, 2008, 8:21 am

fflutterffly wrote:thanks for the 411. OK on the midges and pos. streamers. Got them all. good on the 5wt sagexp. might just take my Wright/McGill 6wt that is as stiff as an 8wt. Report to follow!

The 5wt XP is my main stick for stillwater. Have fun!
mleng

Postby Flyjunkie » December 3rd, 2008, 10:11 am

mleng wrote:
The 5wt XP is my main stick for stillwater. Have fun!

I love my 4wt. XP in lakes... backbone enough to punch into the afternoon wind, but light enough to delicately lay out a Midge Dry on paranoid Sippers... ;)
Flyjunkie

Postby fflutterffly » December 3rd, 2008, 5:00 pm

All around me explosions of fish hooked by spinning gear echoed in my ears the whole afternoon. Neither fish nor foul like the flies I offered from midges dark or light to streamers. For me the experience was a dismal failure of catching, but as a learning experience it was tantamount to a smack on the head. It is the last time I will ever go fishing ill prepared, both in education on how to or without understanding the fish that inhabit. For me the least interesting of the 4 hours on the water was the inactivity. I just happen to love the act of "patrolling" moving water, reading it and the competition between fish and the fly I've chosen. This has to be one of the most boring things I've ever done in my life.... no waiting in line at the DMV is worse... not by much.

With that said my report is as follows:
Float tubers: 7
Boaters: 5
Shorehounds: 30

Large fish were being caught on all conveyance upon the water. The day was warm and the water very dirty looking. The other fly fisherman in the tubes said they were using midges, but it was the deep powerbait and lures that were winning the day, unless you were the fish.
fflutterffly

Postby stanbery » December 4th, 2008, 2:54 am

Bob

The are way to big for your signature Bob :lol: :lol:

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing