REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

suggestions

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

suggestions

Postby fflutterffly » May 29th, 2012, 6:40 am

Recently I was fishing on the West Walker. The river was running high, but the water was clear. I was rotating through flies trying to find the set up that might work after checking all the rocks, bushes and so on. I was using an indicator, orange, about 5' from the top fly. All of the sudden I see this flash coming off the bottom and a very large trout slams into the indicator. Not biting, but physically body slams the indicator. Ah I says to myself. So I run the rig over the same area. Again, it slams. Now I'm thinking to myself, put on a nice orangish stimi! I'm excited. I think I've hit on the right rigging. Again I pass. Nothing. 5 more times. Nothing. I go back and put the indicator on.... you guessed it. That darn fish comes up and body slams the indicator again.
What think ye oh wisdom wise ones.

Needless to say I moved on and hooked 5 fish down the river.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: suggestions

Postby Bernard » May 29th, 2012, 7:11 am

Lay off the sauce?
;)
Ok seriously, that's wild!
Bernard

Postby beachbum » May 29th, 2012, 8:31 am

What color was the indicator? I would have used an orange stimi or dry stone fly pattern. It's that time of the year.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby fly addict » May 29th, 2012, 8:45 am

fflutterffly wrote:Recently I was fishing on the West Walker. The river was running high, but the water was clear. I was rotating through flies trying to find the set up that might work after checking all the rocks, bushes and so on. I was using an indicator, orange, about 5' from the top fly. All of the sudden I see this flash coming off the bottom and a very large trout slams into the indicator. Not biting, but physically body slams the indicator. Ah I says to myself. So I run the rig over the same area. Again, it slams. Now I'm thinking to myself, put on a nice orangish stimi! I'm excited. I think I've hit on the right rigging. Again I pass. Nothing. 5 more times. Nothing. I go back and put the indicator on.... you guessed it. That darn fish comes up and body slams the indicator again.

Been there done that, same results as you. I guess if it was a yarn indicator you could tie a hook in it somehow to catch the little rascals that think it is something to eat.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » May 29th, 2012, 10:23 am

Tie a BIG globug, and dress it liberally with your floatant of choice. Catch it, bonk it, ad get that dumb fish outta the gene pool. :gun: ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby Fishfreak911 » May 29th, 2012, 11:07 am

briansII wrote:Tie a BIG globug, and dress it liberally with your floatant of choice. Catch it, bonk it, ad get that dumb fish outta the gene pool. :gun: ;)

briansII

:funnyup:

What he said!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby flybob » May 29th, 2012, 11:42 am

FLOATING CHEESE OR POWER BAIT. :lol:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fly addict » May 29th, 2012, 11:43 am

Craig wrote:
fly addict wrote:
fflutterffly wrote:Recently I was fishing on the West Walker. The river was running high, but the water was clear. I was rotating through flies trying to find the set up that might work after checking all the rocks, bushes and so on. I was using an indicator, orange, about 5' from the top fly. All of the sudden I see this flash coming off the bottom and a very large trout slams into the indicator. Not biting, but physically body slams the indicator. Ah I says to myself. So I run the rig over the same area. Again, it slams. Now I'm thinking to myself, put on a nice orangish stimi! I'm excited. I think I've hit on the right rigging. Again I pass. Nothing. 5 more times. Nothing. I go back and put the indicator on.... you guessed it. That darn fish comes up and body slams the indicator again.

Been there done that, same results as you. I guess if it was a yarn indicator you could tie a hook in it somehow to catch the little rascals that think it is something to eat.

Mark

Or you could just shoot the fish with a shotgun when it comes up for the orange indicator :rockon:
That might make it a little hard to release the fish unharmed. ;)

At some point one has to sit back and think "is that sporting?" when thinking of what to tie or glue a hook to.

Here are a couple more you might want to add to the list. Targeting lake run fish that have moved into small streams to spawn? Or how about when the flows on some of the tailwater rivers in the Eastern Sierra are so low that the fish are bunched up in a few small pools. It may be legal but not very sporting.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby duckdog » May 29th, 2012, 11:49 pm

I have had fish hit an orange indicator a few times, each of those times I have tied on an orange egg pattern and hooked those fish ,did they just want an egg for breakfast,I don't know. Your fish went U.F.C on your indicator not biting it . Who the heck knows what it was thinking it has a brain the size of a chick pea !??? On the E.W a few weeks ago I had a few fish bite my white indicator ,what they wanted egg whites ?
Mike
duckdog

Postby 1mocast » May 30th, 2012, 12:08 pm

I like to think in their tiny minds, its "veggies, salad, more veggies, more salad, DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER!"

Throw meat at them! ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Artin » May 30th, 2012, 12:54 pm

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby fflutterffly » May 30th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Artin I'll take a dozen. Actually my indicator was Orange and I put on an orange stimi. Really Artin very nice indicator fly. I'll have to make a few.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby briansII » May 30th, 2012, 3:14 pm

I've heard of imitating bread pieces....which is a man made product, for carp. I'm ok with that. But now we are trying to imitate a synthetic yarn ball, with a synthetic yarn ball!?!? :?

Cool! :bananadance: :grouphug:

There's a simpler way to deal with this situation. Don't use an indicator.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » May 30th, 2012, 3:21 pm

briansII wrote:I've heard of imitating bread pieces....which is a man made product, for carp. I'm ok with that. But now we are trying to imitate a synthetic yarn ball, with a synthetic yarn ball!?!? :?

Cool! :bananadance: :grouphug:

There's a simpler way to deal with this situation. Don't use an indicator. :D

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing