REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Big Bear Lake

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Big Bear Lake

Postby Benny » December 6th, 2008, 10:17 pm

I'm posting this as a reply to one of the other members on the other board. It seems no one answered to the post.

Big Bear is very fishable during the winter, just be prepared for cold water and cold weather....Use full sinking line since most fish will be holding on the bottom. Use a float tube, pontoon or Kayak and just strip WB or other types of streamers along the bottom. Black or Olive WB seem to work very well. You could launch anywhere along the road where you have access to parking and the lake. For the most part I would launch by the dam, but you could also launch by the observatory. I think you might also need a permit for your water craft, although I have never seen that enforced and I have never been cited for not having one :oops: Hope anyone reading this finds it helpful ;)
Benny

Re: Big Bear Lake

Postby Benny » December 7th, 2008, 8:22 am

I also came across a report last night that said the lake just turned over and that the trout were starting to come alive. Have fun if any of you guys go ;)
Benny

Postby midger » December 7th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Go quick though because as soon as temps drop, the lake often freezes up on top making tubing a nonstarter. Shouldn't be a problem for about a month, but we've been having unseasonably warm weather this fall, but it's got to change--I hope. I like the snow as skiing is also a lot of fun.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Benny » December 8th, 2008, 11:44 am

This week would be nice with daytime temps predicted in the mid 50's
Benny

Return to General Fly Fishing