REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Arkansas White River Advice

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Arkansas White River Advice

Postby RubiKinda » December 9th, 2008, 10:39 am

Just wondering if anyone had any info they wanted to share on this piece of water. I'll be there later this month for a few days trying to hit the shad kill. I've fished it a couple times in the past with some success in the fall and spring, but never in the winter. I've seen the big browns, but they were lock-jawed. My guide says to bring the 7 wt. so I'm optimistic.
RubiKinda

Re: Arkansas White River Advice

Postby JR_774 » December 9th, 2008, 10:56 am

Don't know much about the White but I was planning a guided trip during a work related venture out there and was told that the little Red River is a dandy tailwater to fish as well. Good luck on the chance to catch a Brown of a lifetime. I think they have night fishing for those big browns as well. A nice big mouse pattern might be nice eh!
JR_774

Postby anacrime » December 9th, 2008, 12:00 pm

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » December 9th, 2008, 12:13 pm

anacrime wrote:Image

That's it. I'm going! :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby coreyk » December 9th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Good luck! I dream of fishing the white for one of those bad boys! I'll be on the lookout for a trip report and some photos!
coreyk

Postby Night Angler » December 9th, 2008, 6:27 pm

here you go...

you want info on the White.

http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com/
Night Angler

Postby JGray » December 9th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Hey Cris, are you going to drift it or wade. Bull Shoals is notorious for unexpected releases of water, so if you are wading listen for the Sirens sounding and if you hear it get out of the water. My brother lived just over the Missouri line about 2 hrs away from the White River so I fished it about once a year for about 4 years travelling to pick up my kids in Mississippi. Granted this was always in the summer where I guess the electricity demands are higher, but I was about 2 miles below the dam in a knee high flat fishing to rising rainbows and never heard the siren, and before I knew it I was backstroking back to shore. I Got to drift it once and that was a blast. I never got into any browns, but between my son and me we easily caught 100+ 16-18inch rainbows out of the boat dragging size 14 caddis pupae. Most of the stuff you already have will catch the bows but in larger sizes. They tie and use some pretty unique stuff down there too, but you'll see what I'm talking about when you get there. I never used anything but my 5wt while I was there, then again I wasn't going after the big boys but targeting quantities of fish to keep the kids happy and occupied. They consistantly report 20+ pounders coming out of the area near the dam so I guess a 7wt would be a good idea. Have a great time and let me know how you do!!!!
JGray

Postby RubiKinda » December 9th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Thanks for the flow warnings Joel. I'm doing a trophy one on one guided float trip for 3 days and 2 night wades. Same guide I had 2 years ago and he put me on some toads. I know what you mean about the wierd stuff they throw there, he had me throwing a purple san juan and double scuds (the rednecks call it "Barney's C*ck and B*lls" on a 12 ft. leader with 6 ft. of tippet.....and wanting me to get out to 100 ft. so I didn't spook them.
RubiKinda

Return to General Fly Fishing