REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

a tale of two trout

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

a tale of two trout

Postby silverlaker » July 17th, 2012, 6:16 pm

I was fortunate enough to fish two very different fisheries in different states last week. Despite some hot weather, I found a way to get into some fish in both Oregon and California. Two fish stood out, not only because of their size - but because both put up a memorable fight and were beautiful specimens from their respective waters. Both were caught on a 9' 4 wt.
This Oregon red-side was caught swinging soft hackles just before dark.

This Californian was sitting in front of a rock aggressively feeding. I caught him in the morning on a three nymph rig, also on the swing.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Re: a tale of two trout

Postby lucfish » July 17th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Nice looking fish.
lucfish

Postby flybob » July 17th, 2012, 7:49 pm

"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg)

Thanks for sharing.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby beachbum » July 17th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Pretty fish! Sounds like a great trip.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby borntoflyfish » July 17th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Silverlaker I'd take one of them any day of the week. :rockon:
borntoflyfish

Postby silverlaker » July 25th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Thanks Guys, It was great to get out. With a new addition to the family in May, it was [i]really [i] great to get out.

flybob wrote:"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity...and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg)

I like that quote, thanks. I don't know why this comes to mind:

"Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds."
—Charles Dudley Warner, In the Wilderness (1878)

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby WanderingBlues » July 26th, 2012, 5:11 am

Very nice trout and that sounds like a pretty cool getaway from the big city as well.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to General Fly Fishing