REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Afghanistan Fly Church

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Afghanistan Fly Church

Postby Wildman » July 29th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Most of you remember the good times we had supported Blu Felix....our resident Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant through deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. We made a life long friend and supported a family man thousands of miles away from his family and friends.

Well...just so happens that there is another Marine...Staff Sergeant Dustin Hinds who just left for another deployment to Afghanistan and Dustin is a hard core fly fisher. He's got it as bad as Blu did. He spent the final weeks before his deployment racing up and down the 395 corridor for one last chance at a wild trout.

My self and a few others (GaryP-Raider) sent him some fly tying materials in the past few weeks. He has been conducting a fly tying clinic on Sundays and has four five folks in his outfit who are now learning to tie as well.
Here's Dustin's picture:

Here is my assessment of what he needs to make his fly tying class a success.
A couple of bobbins
an assortment of small dry fly hackle (I only had feathers appropriate for buggers and streamers)
tying vice (I sent one and he has one)
extra scissors
hair stacking tube
thread
Marabou
Assorted dry and wet dubbing
Fly fishing magazines
fly tying magazines
fly tying/fishing books

If you are interested in sending him a care package...PM me and I will send you his address.

I'm looking forward to meeting Dustin when he comes back to Camp Pendelton next year.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: Afghanistan Fly Church

Postby tree catcher » July 29th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Jim I will donate a book or two for the class.
Come on guys and gals lets get the ball rolling!!

Sean
tree catcher

Postby Eric1 » July 29th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Jim send me a pm. I am sure i can spare a book or two and some supplies.
Eric
Eric1

Postby Artin » July 29th, 2012, 3:07 pm

PM sent

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby Wildman » July 29th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Sean, Eric, Artin....PM's sent.

You know, I can only go by what I experienced those 28 months I spent in country and I remember living to get a post card or letter at mail call once a week. Even if you don't have any extra tying supplies or magazines...drop them a line and just chat.

PM me and I'll hook you up with SSGT Hinds email address.

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Wildman » August 3rd, 2012, 10:09 pm

I just sent Dustin (Troutman1775)a package today. Fifteen pounds of FlyTyer Magazines...some fly tying books... a couple bobbin threader dealies and a 3 ring notebook of fly tying recipes that I put together when I first started tying. Should hold them for a while.

If you're interested in sending Dustin and his folks some fly tying material or reading material, PM me and I will give you is address. I use the USPS "if it fits...it ships" and I have been able to really put a lot in each box. I know they appreciate everything they get in the 'Stan.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » August 4th, 2012, 5:22 am

Jim, folks of your caliber are far and few between. Interestingly enough, many happen to be in this community. And Dustin, another 20 years of unchecked growth and your mustache might almost get it's own forum thread as well.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby bigbearkeith » August 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm

I have many Fly Fisherman & other magazines that are gathering dust on my shelf that I'd love to send. Please send his address to me at kflies@charter.net. I'll see what else I can dig up. Thanks
Keith Kern <>< <>< <><
bigbearkeith

Postby stanbery » August 6th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Keith

Sent you a email as well.

Jon

SSGT. HINDS, DUSTIN A.
8TH ESB ENG CO 2ND PLT
UNIT 73684
09510-3684 FPO AE
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby tree catcher » August 28th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Jim, I just sent him out metz #1hen sadldle dun(missing a few feathers), metz @3 neck variant hackle (one of those were donated by one of the gents from Deep Creek Flyfishers and never opened). Bsp 1/2 saddle brown missing more feathers, a bobbin, 3 different boooks on beginning fly tying (another donation from DCF member). One book on Go to flies, 6 different outdoor mags.

Sean
tree catcher

Postby Wildman » August 28th, 2012, 8:05 pm

Very cool. That will definitely put a smile on his Afghanistan flock's faces. Thank you and the club for your generosity.

I just got my second package returned with a weird address to a different outfit in Illinois. My first package went through with no problem so will resubmit the 18 lbs of fly tying magazines and two notebooks of step by step tying instructions I assembled when I first started tying. I used to have problems with the APO's when I was sending stuff to Blu.
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fflutterffly » September 9th, 2012, 6:43 am

Send me his address. I have so much stuff I'm busting!!!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby stanbery » September 11th, 2012, 4:32 pm

fflutterffly wrote:Send me his address. I have so much stuff I'm busting!!!

SSGT. HINDS, DUSTIN A.
8TH ESB ENG CO 2ND PLT
UNIT 73684
09510-3684 FPO AE
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby TroutMan1775 » October 15th, 2012, 3:41 am

My unit is back in the good ol’ USA safe, mission accomplished. I want to apologize for being delinquent in my postings. This deployment was an abortion from the get-go and went downhill from there. We ended our deployment in Camp Pendleton, CA with 7 NJP’s, 4 Court Martials, and both our Company Commander and First Sergeant were relieved of their duties. It has been a whirlwind of paperwork and butt chewing’s from 2 star Generals and Sergeant Majors. Fortunate for me I was not involved and was only called upon for character statements and as a witness. Only one of my Marines was involved. I feel very badly for him because he is an outstanding leader of Marines but is being made an example of. Unfortunately his Marine Corps career is over, and it will be tough to get a job on the civilian side with a Court Martial following him.
On a more positive note, the packages poured in and “flychurch” was a success in my mind. The group setting really fizzled out toward the end of the deployment and I began one-on-one sessions with my subjects. This actually worked out better because I only had 2 vises and could provide direct guidance to each individual. I would say the only problem we ran into was figuring out what we could make out of the hodge-podge of supplies we received. It was almost overwhelming at times. Originally we started with a handful of stuff and pushed out certain flies, then the sky became our limit. When our unit returned each guy (6 total) was able to take a box of supplies home that will keep them going for quite some time. I want to thank everyone personally for your outpour of support. I cannot begin to describe how much of an effect that this had on me and my Marines during our time overseas. Some packages came with letters, others with just a return address. I am in the process of handwriting thank you letters to each of them that stepped up. I highly encourage anyone that knows someone overseas who flyfishes/ties, to put together a small package, it will be received with great enthusiasm. If they are in a spot that is not conducive to tying, send them old magazines to read while they are out on mission. We received 3 boxes of them and we are still passing them around, some date back to 1994 but they still have great articles to read and reference.
Thanks again to all, you have made this Marine and a few others worst deployment a more manageable pill to swallow. It opened the door to a new rewarding sport that will bring enjoyment for years to come.
TroutMan1775

Postby Pete » October 15th, 2012, 4:46 am

Thank you to you and your troops for your service and sacrifice. Glad you all made it home safe. There is always an open spot on the water with me.

God bless the troops.

Pete
Pete

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing