REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hawaii Bonefish Endangered!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Hawaii Bonefish Endangered!

Postby pescadoslayer » August 14th, 2012, 11:03 am

I am trying to gather signatures to save the Hawaiian Bonefish from GillNetting. If we had no more Gillnet, this would be an "Epic" Bonefishery........

Even if you are not a Hawaii Resident you can sign, just mention that you would come to Hawaii more often if the Bonefishing was even better. Tell them that each time you come you stay in a Hotel, eat out, rent a car, and that you bring your Family. Also mention that if Hawaii had a protected Bonefishery you know several other FlyAnglers who would visit Hawaii too.

Below is a website where You can sign the petition and add the comments I suggested there as well. It takes just a minute and would mean a lot to me.

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/group- ... tus/771539

Thanks,
Roy
pescadoslayer

Re: Hawaii Bonefish Endangered!

Postby RichardCullip » August 14th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know they gill netted bonefish over there. Sounds like a good way to ruin a fishery.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby briansII » August 14th, 2012, 1:55 pm

briansII
briansII

Postby gabe » August 14th, 2012, 4:22 pm

oh wow! hana pa'a!

i dunno where I stand on this as a former resident born and bred. I know there is a lot of poverty going on there, and people are struggling to make ends meet. Maybe if there is great concern on preserving o'io, then they should think of making some new fishponds to cultivate the fish like the ancient hawaiians did. But I'd highly doubt the state gov would allocate any money for that.

:deadhorse:
gabe

Postby mike.s » August 25th, 2012, 8:31 pm

As a former resident of Hawaii ( lived on kauai for 18 years and still own a place there ) i can tell you it's a very complicated issue.
Like the article said its more of a native rights issue... Much like native Indian tribes on the pacific coast have fought to harvest salmon on there rivers..even if the fish are endangered. Locals in Hawaii feel they have the same rights to there ancient customs and fish.
mike.s

Return to General Fly Fishing