REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Kauai Fly fishing

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Kauai Fly fishing

Postby SJDrifli » September 3rd, 2012, 12:52 pm

My wife and I are headed to Kauai and I wondering if anyone knows of any flyfishing that can be done. I don't want to make this a fly fishing trip, but would it be worth my time to take a flyrod along? Any help you can provide would be great.

Paul
SJDrifli

Re: Kauai Fly fishing

Postby 1mocast » September 3rd, 2012, 2:37 pm

P,
Yes there are flats for bonefishing.

You might want to try these sites.

http://www.bonefishkauai.com/
http://www.hawaiibeachcombers.com/hawai ... shing.html

This honolulu guide has a nice blog and fly selection page.
http://www.nervouswaterhawaii.com/defau ... nc=8&id=36

BRING YOUR ROD! have fun..
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby SJDrifli » September 3rd, 2012, 4:35 pm

Thanks 1mocast, appreciate the links, will check them out tonight for sure.

Thanks, Paul
SJDrifli

Postby arctic_grayling » September 3rd, 2012, 4:40 pm

i've caught some smallies on the fly on the wailua river after kayaking upstream a few miles from the coast. fishing wasn't the objective, but combined with the kayaking, the hiking to waterfalls, and rope swinging, fly fishing added a fun aspect to the day. as i recall they weren't very hard to catch. but that was a while ago.
arctic_grayling

Postby Flatsix » September 3rd, 2012, 4:43 pm

I was there in June and saw trout in one of the rivers. There is a river that cuts through Waimea canyon and if you can hike (at higher elevations) to the stream you should find fish. There are fishing info signs at pullouts along the road if you head up the road to Waimea canyon. I hear that they'll go for a light colored wooly bugger, maybe bring some punk perch patterns. From what I understand you'll need a license and there are a couple of places to buy one. I believe that one of the locations is in Lihue (where the airport is).

I plan on going again next June and will bring a 2 wt or less for the trout

As for Bonefish, we saw them and people fishing for them on the way to Princeville but I don't know anything about them.

Where are you staying?
First trip to Kauai?

If you have any questions PM me, the island is super small but theres lots to do.
Flatsix

Postby SJDrifli » September 3rd, 2012, 6:08 pm

This is my first trip and my wife and I have lots of stuff planned. I thought about hiring a guide, but this is an US trip, not a fishing trip, but she is encouraging me to bring my flyrod, darn the bad luck. Would love to get a bonefish so will do some research on that. Flatsix, I will send you a pm this evening with some questions, thanks for the responses guys.
SJDrifli

Postby Troutinator » September 4th, 2012, 5:01 am

I took my family to Kauai for a week back in 2005 and really loved the island but had no idea that fly fishing was even a possibility. And I certainly had a little bit of slow time that I could have made it happen. We did charter an off-shore fishing charter and caught several fish, including a wahoo, but that cost was ridiculous. Have a great time and I look forward to the pics. Watch out for dinosaurs. Jurassic Park was filmed there.
Troutinator

Return to General Fly Fishing