REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

what are you reading?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

what are you reading?

Postby silverlaker » September 3rd, 2012, 9:12 pm

Hi everyone. I though it might be nice to start a thread about fishing related literature, periodicals, journals, how-to books, or what have you. I'm always looking for new stuff to read - even if I don't get to the recommendations for a while. I'd love to hear what people are reading and what they thought of it. Take it where you will...

I guess I'll start. Recently I re-read "Dark Waters" By Russell Chatham. I'm a fan of short stories so this book remains one of my favorites. In fact, there are a couple stories in this collection that are top-ten for me. Most notably "An Anglers Afternoon" and "Night Moves". I like Russell's concise and direct writing style, appreciate his sketches, and value his take on everything from the French to cooking to San Francisco to Steelhead fishing. I used to live in sf and have family that were a part of the GG casting club and are /were avid Steelhead and Salmon fishers during the heyday. It's nice to read his intimate recounting of a place I know well.

The other book that prompted the idea for this post was "The Longest Silence, a Life in Fishing" By Tom McGuane. I'm almost done with this one - and, I have to say, there are a lot of similarities to "Dark Waters". While this book lacks sketches, his words paint amazing images. Even if Mr. McGuane's writing style differs greatly from Russell Chatham's, both authors brought me into their stories and compelled me to read one too many passages before turning out the bedside lamp. An interesting note is that they both held a world record for fish on the fly (Striped Bass and Mutton Snapper). On a more personal level, I also spent much time in south Florida and the keys while growing up. It's interesting to hear his take on the Keys at a time when my family also lived there. His stories supplement those of my relatives. I can't help but to wonder if my folks crossed paths with the guy. Key West wasn't that populated in the 60's and there were even fewer people still during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Anyhow, "The longest Silence" is my favorite of his stories I've read so far.

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Re: what are you reading?

Postby DrCreek » September 4th, 2012, 6:31 am

Re-reading the entire Gierach collection. It's my third time through. Also playing the heck out of that awesome Hank Patterson video. I think I've watched it well over a couple dozen times now.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby RiverRat » September 4th, 2012, 8:23 am

Justed watched a movie made by artist James Proseck based on the The Complete Angler by Izaak Walton and am ordering the book this week. Sure to read many many times!

Full length 47 minutes. Why we really fish is summarized perfectly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2nRfnpWxw

"The Compleat Angler; or, The Contemplative Man's Recreation, first published in 1653, not only describes the technique of angling, but draws a picture of peace and simple virtue that was Walton's protest against the civil wars taking place at the time. It is the third most frequently reprinted book in the English language after the Bible and the works of Shakespeare"

shane
RiverRat

Postby tenandtwo » September 4th, 2012, 10:58 am

McGuane? Gierach? Huh never heard of them...
Kidding - great authors! a bit of fun now.

Been reading this gem, picked it up for 1$ what a deal!
Mostly for the outstanding photos.

Hope I can put up something like this in my next TR. Bad
tenandtwo

Postby planettrout » September 4th, 2012, 3:24 pm

I just got this as a gift from a friend last Wednesday...this double volume set should keep me busy till next Spring...

PT/TB :o
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby silverlaker » September 4th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Great Guys - thanks for posting!
Dr. Creek, thanks for the reminder. I've never read any Gierach but perhaps I'll go there next.

Shane, I've made it half way through the video so far. Admittedly, the idea of reading a book written in 1653 is both enticing and intimidating... probably too much to resist.

Ten and two, save your shekels - it gets better. On the flip side, I didn't know there was a fetish for grown men eating raw fish on a stick :lol:

PT - you gotta watch out for those architects - they'll bore you with infinite detail and and make you spend more money then you could imagine ;) It looks to be an interesting winter for you. Teach me some nymphing tips in the spring?

Come on you bums - I know more than four of you can read!!

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby Dry Fly Rie » September 4th, 2012, 9:30 pm

tenandtwo wrote:Been reading this gem, picked it up for 1$ what a deal!

Hey Terry, I have that one, too. It's quite a read. :Idiot:

I just started "Spring Creek" by Nick Lyons. Got it as a birthday present, and I've really enjoyed the first few chapters.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby lucfish » September 5th, 2012, 7:48 am

I always have a Gierach book by the bed but right now I'm reading Lewis and Clark.
lucfish

Postby WadeK » September 5th, 2012, 7:58 am

Anything from Patrick McManus (not necessarily FF, but light heartedly good).
Spare Grey Hackle ( A little heavier but not much)
H.D. Thoreau (Anyone how gets quoted with "Everyone must believe something. I believe I'll go fishing!" :rockon: )
Curtiss Creek Manifesto (after I cook my noodle with some of Thoreau's more weighty matters)
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby teejay » September 5th, 2012, 11:45 am

I’m about a third through “Small Trout – Fly Fishing that Matters” by Bill Loehr.
I laughed at this particular paragraph. It explains what’s been happening to me –and I thought that I was just becoming senile:

“Fly fishing requires concentration. So much so that you can lose touch with most other things. Almost everything but fishing is banished from your mind. You lose track of time. You misplace your car keys. You miss meals. Sometimes when conditions are right, I do not realize that the day has ended until it is pitch dark. Recently during a slow moment, I quit for lunch. I had tossed a sandwich in the back pouch of my vest, and actually stopped to eat it. But when I did, I discovered two sandwiches, one of them stiff and green.It was early in the season, so the stiff one was probably left over from a great day last fall."
teejay

Postby briansII » September 5th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Playboy. It has some great articles.

briansII
briansII

Postby fflutterffly » September 5th, 2012, 4:10 pm

The Art of Tying the Wet Fly and Fishing the Flymph- Leisenring/ Hidy
Master the Cast-Fly Casting in Seven Lessons-George V. Roberts Jr.
The New Yorker... which is an never ending battle to keep up with.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby fshflys » September 8th, 2012, 7:13 am

http://www.amazon.com/Travers-Corners-C ... ers+corner

& the Return to Travers Corner - Great reading, series of short stories that will put a smile on your face. He's got a third book, haven't read it, got them Or Co Library.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Benny » September 8th, 2012, 9:35 am

Benny

Postby flybob » September 14th, 2012, 4:55 pm

A must read if you are going to learn the way of the GILL!

I have read it twice, and now going through it again!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing