REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Strong and Fast Knots?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Strong and Fast Knots?

Postby hawkplayer32 » October 21st, 2012, 8:37 pm

Hey Guys,

I am wondering what knots you use to tie your fly to your tippet. When I learned to fly fish last spring I used my go to saltwater knot (double palomar) needless to say, I had ALOT of failures.

What knot should I use instead?

Thanks
hawkplayer32

Re: Strong and Fast Knots?

Postby RichardCullip » October 21st, 2012, 8:44 pm

I keep it simple. Clinch knot for my dry flies and nymphs. Non-slip mono loop on my streamers.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Strong and Fast Knots?

Postby Rasputinj » October 21st, 2012, 9:37 pm

I use a Davy knot, it has been a fast and strong knot for me. I brought in a 6 pound bow with it. I have very few knot failures compared with cinch. It was developed by Dave Wotten a pro fly fisherman out of Britain, who I think now lives in Ark. He works with US fly fishing team or at least used to.

Here is a link tohttp://flyspoke.blogspot.com/2010/01/davy-knot.html?m=1
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Dry Fly Rie » October 21st, 2012, 10:09 pm

Great question. I've often wondered what others use. I've always used the improved clinch, but to be honest, I'd rather use something a little less involved, so I'm going to give the Davy a shot.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby ManoTheSkip » October 21st, 2012, 11:03 pm

I liked that article. Thank you. I'm going to give the Double Davy a try when I'm out next.
Tight Lines!

Hurry Hard!
ManoTheSkip

Postby fflutterffly » October 22nd, 2012, 5:14 am

When it's soft light or near dark I use the Uni (Duncan). I use this on my salt flies as well as my small flies. (I also use the double Uni any time I'd have to use a blood knot. I have yet to have this fly fail for me. Other than that I'll use the Improved CK. I've had to many failures with the CK. I like the Davy Knot as well.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby NorcalBob » October 22nd, 2012, 6:43 am

Easy question to answer!!! Kreh's Non Slip Loop Knot!!!! No other knot needed!!! :rockon:
NorcalBob

Postby KRoberts1 » October 22nd, 2012, 6:58 am

Non-slip loop on streamers and Davy knot on everything else, when using the long rod. Maybe throw in the Improved Clinch, ocassionally, depending on situation. Clinch knots and palomar knots when using spinning or casting gear.
KRoberts1

Postby hawkplayer32 » October 22nd, 2012, 8:22 am

Interesting choices of knots. I would not have thought to use the krehs or wotton knot. The wotton knot seems extremely simple which I like, but I am skeptical of its strength. I think I will use the double wotton and if I have more time, the krehs. I suppose I will just need to figure out which is faster and which is better per each fishing situation.
hawkplayer32

Postby briansII » October 22nd, 2012, 4:03 pm

hawkplayer32 wrote:Interesting choices of knots. I would not have thought to use the krehs or wotton knot. The wotton knot seems extremely simple which I like, but I am skeptical of its strength. I think I will use the double wotton and if I have more time, the krehs. I suppose I will just need to figure out which is faster and which is better per each fishing situation.

For a "fast" and "strong" knot, I think the Davy Knot is about as close as you can get. The simplicity makes you wonder how strong it is, but tests have shown it to be a very strong knot. Having said that, I rarely use it because I'm not very familiar with it. For trout flies, I tend to use what I'm familiar with. The improved clinch. It's not a strong knot, but something I can tie in my sleep. I know roughly how much pressure it will take to break it, and landing/touching a trout is not all that important to me. For close to 100% knot, I use the Kreh Loop/no slip mono loop. It's another knot I can tie in my sleep. When I want a very strong knot with flourocarbon, and not a loop knot, I use this knot.

It's not an easy knot to tie, but it gets a lot easier with time. It uses/wastes quite a bit of material too. It's a price i'm willing to pay when I want max strength in my knot, and want insurance to land a big fish. When fishing around structure, I think the doubled line knot gives me a bit of added insurance.

briansII
briansII

Postby lucfish » October 22nd, 2012, 4:32 pm

I'm in the same camp as Richard. The clinch knot isn't a strong knot but you get a "feel" for the breaking strenth and most times you'll be fine. The nonslip loop knot is a really strong knot and an easy tie which I use for everything now except dry fly.
lucfish

Strong and Fast Knots?

Postby Rasputinj » October 22nd, 2012, 5:54 pm

hawkplayer32 wrote:Interesting choices of knots. I would not have thought to use the krehs or wotton knot. The wotton knot seems extremely simple which I like, but I am skeptical of its strength. I think I will use the double wotton and if I have more time, the krehs. I suppose I will just need to figure out which is faster and which is better per each fishing situation.

I actually use the double wonton on fluoro.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby KRoberts1 » October 23rd, 2012, 7:30 am

When considering which knots to use, think simplicity...low light, cold fingers, etc. I was taught the figure eight (or Davy Knot) some 50 years ago by my Dad. Its real easy to do when conditions are not real conducive for manual dexterity. Its also good for adding a dropper to the main line. Just place the dropper another knot to keep it from slipping down.
KRoberts1

Postby planettrout » October 23rd, 2012, 9:11 am

1. Uni Knot (Duncan Loop)
2. Pitzen Knot

http://videofishingknots.com/pitzen-knot.html

3. Non-Slip Mono Loop

PT/TB :rockon:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby RichardCullip » October 23rd, 2012, 9:27 am

I might have to learn a new knot. I just did a quick simple test with a short length of 5X tippet and two hooks. On one hook I used my clinch knot and the other I tied a Davy knot. Then I slowly/gently pulled on both hooks to see which knot broke first. It was the clinch knot. For this simple test the Davy knot proved to be the stronger knot. I should do a few more tests to get a statistically significant result but I was impressed with the Davy knot's strength in light tippet. Now I just have to practice a bit to get my fingers used to tying it.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing