REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly Line Size

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly Line Size

Postby hawkplayer32 » October 22nd, 2012, 4:30 pm

Newbie question:

What size line would you recommend for Fly Fishing a lake with trout that range from 2 to 10lbs? (stocked trout)

I was thinking X3 or X4. also what length?

I am currently using a 9' echo 5/6 weight rod with a 6/7 weight reel. I know its a bit heavy, but its all i got...

Thanks
hawkplayer32

Re: Fly Line Size

Postby midger » October 22nd, 2012, 5:42 pm

I think you are referring to tippet/leader size and not flyline size in your question, and a 5/6 weight rod is fine for the purpose you stated. It's definitely not too heavy for me to use it, as I generally fish a 5 or 6 weight when fishing lakes for fish that size (2-10 pounds is a big fish even if it is a stocker).

As far as leaders go, I usually go with a shorter 6-7 foot leader down to 2X (approx 10 # test) or 3X (7 #). Often these lake fish won't be leader shy and you'll break off far fewer fish if you use the largest leader possible without spooking fish.

You'll also want a type III to a type 6 sinking line if you plan on doing any backtrolling with wooly buggers or streamers. You might get by with a 20-30 foot sink tip, but a floating line probably won't get you deep enough unless the fish are right up in the top couple of feet of water.

That's my take. You'll get others as well I hope.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby hawkplayer32 » October 23rd, 2012, 2:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. You more or less affirmed what I already believed. I have been doing some reading and it seems like alot of this stuff is preference.

midger wrote:I think you are referring to tippet/leader size and not flyline size in your question, and a 5/6 weight rod is fine for the purpose you stated. It's definitely not too heavy for me to use it, as I generally fish a 5 or 6 weight when fishing lakes for fish that size (2-10 pounds is a big fish even if it is a stocker).

As far as leaders go, I usually go with a shorter 6-7 foot leader down to 2X (approx 10 # test) or 3X (7 #). Often these lake fish won't be leader shy and you'll break off far fewer fish if you use the largest leader possible without spooking fish.

You'll also want a type III to a type 6 sinking line if you plan on doing any backtrolling with wooly buggers or streamers. You might get by with a 20-30 foot sink tip, but a floating line probably won't get you deep enough unless the fish are right up in the top couple of feet of water.

That's my take. You'll get others as well I hope.
hawkplayer32

Postby WadeK » October 23rd, 2012, 5:51 pm

Hawk,
I seem to remember you mentioning 1 of the pay to play lakes like SARL in a previous post. I'm going to guess your rod is 8 to 9 feet 6 inches in length. Going on those asumptions:
1) If you use a 5 or 6wt weight forward floating (WF6F) or a double tapered (DT6F) line it should be workable with the rod and reel you have and give you a wide range of options.
2) If you want to go deep for cheap, rather than buying an expensive($40-70) intermediate sinking line and/or a full sinking line, try a mini-head. They often can be found in different sink rates and can be loop-to-looped with the floating lines mentioned above. I bought a Mini-head kit for under $15 that had 15 feet of type 6 (extra-fast sinking line). After finding I couldn't comfortably cast the 15' with my 5wt rig, I cut it into a 9' and a 6'. While it still isn't great to cast the 9', they both work and give me more options. They dont cast as nicely as an intermediate line, but my check book and I can live with that.
3) Unless you are throwing dry flies you really don't have to have knotless tapered leaders. If you are fishing drys, add 18-24" of ($10-15/30yd spool) Flourocarbon tippet to the end of a ($2-4) Monofilament tapered leader. Don't spend the $8-15 on Flouro tapered leaders that wont last very long. The tippet should be 1x lighter than the tapered leader (3x tapered leader with 4x tippet). I typically buy Walmart's cheap 3,4 and 5x 7.5' tapered leaders and Rio brand tippet spools in 4,5 and 6x for my dry fly fishing.
4) For pulling buggers/streamers I use a leader that consists of 6' of regular 10# Monofilament and 2' of Flouro tippet in 2 or 3x.
5)For nymphingI use a leader that consists of 8' of regular 10# Monofilament with an indicator peggable on it, 1' of Flouro tippet in 2 or 3x, a fly, 1-2' of 3 or 4x Flouro tippet, and another slightly smaller fly.

TL,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby hawkplayer32 » October 23rd, 2012, 7:56 pm

Wade,

Thanks, for the detailed response. I look forward to slaying the fish at SARL soon. Your tips should help accomplish that goal.

Tony
WadeK wrote:Hawk,
I seem to remember you mentioning 1 of the pay to play lakes like SARL in a previous post. I'm going to guess your rod is 8 to 9 feet 6 inches in length. Going on those asumptions:
1) If you use a 5 or 6wt weight forward floating (WF6F) or a double tapered (DT6F) line it should be workable with the rod and reel you have and give you a wide range of options.
2) If you want to go deep for cheap, rather than buying an expensive($40-70) intermediate sinking line and/or a full sinking line, try a mini-head. They often can be found in different sink rates and can be loop-to-looped with the floating lines mentioned above. I bought a Mini-head kit for under $15 that had 15 feet of type 6 (extra-fast sinking line). After finding I couldn't comfortably cast the 15' with my 5wt rig, I cut it into a 9' and a 6'. While it still isn't great to cast the 9', they both work and give me more options. They dont cast as nicely as an intermediate line, but my check book and I can live with that.
3) Unless you are throwing dry flies you really don't have to have knotless tapered leaders. If you are fishing drys, add 18-24" of ($10-15/30yd spool) Flourocarbon tippet to the end of a ($2-4) Monofilament tapered leader. Don't spend the $8-15 on Flouro tapered leaders that wont last very long. The tippet should be 1x lighter than the tapered leader (3x tapered leader with 4x tippet). I typically buy Walmart's cheap 3,4 and 5x 7.5' tapered leaders and Rio brand tippet spools in 4,5 and 6x for my dry fly fishing.
4) For pulling buggers/streamers I use a leader that consists of 6' of regular 10# Monofilament and 2' of Flouro tippet in 2 or 3x.
5)For nymphingI use a leader that consists of 8' of regular 10# Monofilament with an indicator peggable on it, 1' of Flouro tippet in 2 or 3x, a fly, 1-2' of 3 or 4x Flouro tippet, and another slightly smaller fly.

TL,
Wade
hawkplayer32

Postby rayfound » October 24th, 2012, 9:52 am

hawkplayer32 wrote:I look forward to slaying the fish at SARL soon. Your tips should help accomplish that goal.

When I drove by on the 91 the other day, the lakes looked like they were completely empty.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Return to General Fly Fishing