REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Adjustable Thingamabobber

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Adjustable Thingamabobber

Postby fshflys » November 11th, 2012, 7:32 am

Found this on another site, pretty cool, I'm going to give this a try;

http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/2012/ ... setup.html

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68rLxSz ... re=related
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Re: Adjustable Thingamabobber

Postby fflutterffly » November 11th, 2012, 7:52 am

The method on this video works very very well and adds very little weight to the line, allows quick and easy adjustments as well as cost nothing, except old line.

I've been using something similar, however I simply use orthodontic rubber bands for my stoppers. With this system you have the indicator on the line, threaded onto the leader, same as the video. If you like using yarn you can do this as well, but add the tiniest of swivels as the attachment point, which allows it to be removed with little fuss. Then you simply slide the rubber bands up to the top of the leader and clear. One thing with the rubber bands that. The will cause friction. Now that I've seen the system on the video I think I'll try it this week.

Thanks for posting this great idea.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby KRoberts1 » November 11th, 2012, 7:55 am

Dang, that's too much work. Just tie a small balloon on the line and be done with it. Wet the line and slide the balloon up or down as needed. Balloons are cheaper (like a buck/100 at the $ Store) , lighter, and easier to cast, and they come in a multitute of colors.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby flocktothewall » November 11th, 2012, 2:13 pm

fflutterffly wrote: I've been using something similar, however I simply use orthodontic rubber bands for my stoppers. With this system you have the indicator on the line, threaded onto the leader, same as the video. If you like using yarn you can do this as well,

Thats what I have done, and like it. A guide at the Trout * showed me a way to thread rubber bands through the foam indicators that use toothpicks (name escapes me) and the tension on the line keeps it in place. Its basically like the "slidercator" used to tube Crowley but alot cheaper, and disposable.

For local waters thought I use a few strands of yarn and a orthodontic rubberband, almost no weight to it.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby fly addict » November 11th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Since it seems we have a lot of Thingamabobber fans, here’s a tip for you. I have found that it is a lot easier to see the very subtle takes of wild fish if I paint half of the Thingamabobber some other contrasting color. A lot of the takes will just slightly turn the bobber a bit, which is hard to notice when it is just one color, but when half of it is another color it is way more noticeable. I keep a jar of red fingernail polish in my fly gear box just for that purpose. Just like the old bobbers you used when you fished still water with worms. Ask Jim (Wildman) if it didn’t help him improve his hook-ups on the L Owens when I showed him how to use it a few years back.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fflutterffly » November 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Great Idea Mark! I went home and got some old line out and did a few Pre-yarn indicators for my trip to the Kern on Tuesday. I'll give this new suggestion a run. I also think it will work well with those torpedo shaped indicators making it easy to snug the ends up tight with the "keepers." More to come. Excellent.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby RiverRat » November 12th, 2012, 6:56 am

KRoberts1 wrote:Dang, that's too much work. Just tie a small balloon on the line and be done with it. Wet the line and slide the balloon up or down as needed. Balloons are cheaper (like a buck/100 at the $ Store) , lighter, and easier to cast, and they come in a multitute of colors.

keith

Nice innovation but if you try balloons you'll never go back. The bobber splash down is lost and super soft takes are more noticeable.

shane
RiverRat

Postby flybob » November 12th, 2012, 6:58 am

fly addict wrote: I keep a jar of red fingernail polish in my fly gear box just for that purpose.

Mark

Are you SURE that is all you use it for? :o

It is a great idea!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fly addict » November 12th, 2012, 7:47 am

flybob wrote:
fly addict wrote: I keep a jar of red fingernail polish in my fly gear box just for that purpose.

Mark

Are you SURE that is all you use it for? :o

It is a great idea!

Well sometimes when I’m really bored I’ll doll-up my toe nails!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Wildman » November 12th, 2012, 9:18 am

I am also secure enough to share that after Mark's tip, I carry some red polish to doctor up the thingamabobbers when I use them. Being pretty close to legally blind anyway.....any advantage I can get is appreciated and the polish can make for some interesting conversations on the water..... :)
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby softhackleone » December 16th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Tried using the adjustable thingamabobber yesterday on a local pond. It works great. I just need to find some more old fly line.
softhackleone

Postby planettrout » December 17th, 2012, 7:26 am

Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby NorcalBob » December 17th, 2012, 8:15 am

A much cheaper alternative that actually works!!!! Available at any fishing tackle store! BRAVO

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... Qgod-SwANw
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » December 17th, 2012, 9:20 am

Let's cut through all the fluff. These work, are two tone, adjustable, and have put smiles on people faces for many years.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. :)

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » December 17th, 2012, 10:56 am

I've tried them Brian, they don't cast too good on a fly rod and they slip worse than an unpinned Thingamabobber!!!!!! LOLO :booty:
NorcalBob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing