REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bahamas...?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Bahamas...?

Postby anacrime » December 19th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I may find myself in the Bahamas this February. My female and rum game is pretty solid, but I could use some fly fishing advice. Anyone have any insight? I'd be flying into Freeport and staying nearby, I suspect.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: Bahamas...?

Postby flybob » December 19th, 2012, 12:27 pm

can I come with you?

Dood, you are living the life! :rockon:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby anacrime » December 19th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Only if you shave your beard, I don't want you stealing all my women. :cool:
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Bernard » December 19th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Just bring your gear ok?
;)
Bernard

Postby silverlaker » December 19th, 2012, 4:00 pm

never been - but am looking into it for a possible may trip. Just from internet searches and other fly fishing blogs, folks are in Andros Island. I think we're looking at going to Eleuthera - very narrow strip of land with Atlantic tides 2 hrs. before the Caribbean side :bananadance: Let me know if you find something good?

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby Barrie Mann » December 20th, 2012, 8:13 am

Take at least a 7wt and practice the double haul until you can lay out 70feet of line accurately. Tie up some bonefish flies. A floating line will do well. You'll need some SW leaders and then some tippet in the 15lb range. Hooking into a bone, permit or barracuda will be a lot of fun. Get flats boots and shuffle when wading as you don't want to step on a sting ray...it hurts like the devil. Have fun and hire a guide if you can afford one.
Barrie Mann

Postby Barrie Mann » December 20th, 2012, 8:18 am

And btw strip strike don't lift the rod to strike. I lost too many fish at first because of lifting the rod. It's called "trouting" by the veteran SW fly fishers...LOL
Barrie Mann

Postby WadeK » December 20th, 2012, 9:13 am

Sting rays don't just hurt like the devil, they RUIN trips. I got tagged on the ankle in Baja by a desert plate sized one and the only worse pain I've ever felt was getting hit by a Scorpionfish 3 places on my hand and dislocating my shoulder. The pain from the Scorpionfish was mostly gone by the next morning. The shoulder pain was mostly gone by the next night. I was still in severe pain from the Stingray 4 days later. Carry Benadryl for anything that stings.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby anacrime » December 20th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Barrie Mann wrote:Take at least a 7wt and practice the double haul until you can lay out 70feet of line accurately. Tie up some bonefish flies. A floating line will do well. You'll need some SW leaders and then some tippet in the 15lb range. Hooking into a bone, permit or barracuda will be a lot of fun. Get flats boots and shuffle when wading as you don't want to step on a sting ray...it hurts like the devil. Have fun and hire a guide if you can afford one.

Thanks Barrie, I need to get out and cast some more.

Do you use an intermediate tip or anything with the floating line or just a fairly long leader?

I was thinking of bringing a 6, 8, and 10wt, would it be worthwhile to pick up a 7wt too?

Cheers fellas, thanks for the help.
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Barrie Mann » December 20th, 2012, 5:13 pm

anacrime wrote:
Barrie Mann wrote:Take at least a 7wt and practice the double haul until you can lay out 70feet of line accurately. Tie up some bonefish flies. A floating line will do well. You'll need some SW leaders and then some tippet in the 15lb range. Hooking into a bone, permit or barracuda will be a lot of fun. Get flats boots and shuffle when wading as you don't want to step on a sting ray...it hurts like the devil. Have fun and hire a guide if you can afford one.

Thanks Barrie, I need to get out and cast some more.

Do you use an intermediate tip or anything with the floating line or just a fairly long leader?

I was thinking of bringing a 6, 8, and 10wt, would it be worthwhile to pick up a 7wt too?

Cheers fellas, thanks for the help.

No a long leader is all you need as long as you're fishing on the flats. Your 8 wt will be fine and unless you plan to fish for Tarpon leave the 10 wt home. Just make sure you have lots of backing as any of the fish you can get will quickly run you into the backing before you can turn them. You'll need the 8wt just so you can throw fairly big flies in some breezy ( read windy) conditions not for the size of the fish. The 15lb tippet is known as a bite tippet and needs to be carefully checked after each hook up.
Barrie Mann

Return to General Fly Fishing