REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Badfisher...Thoughts ???

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Badfisher...Thoughts ???

Postby planettrout » January 16th, 2013, 10:05 am

What does 'ya think...???

http://badfishsup.com/the-badfisher/

PT/TB :idea:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Re: Badfisher...Thoughts ???

Postby Jimbo Roberts » January 16th, 2013, 10:49 am

Looks pretty cool to me.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Gila Trout » January 16th, 2013, 5:22 pm

I agree, that is a cool boat/ paddle board. One could cover allot water and get some good exercise at the same time. It would be nice to cast standing up. My only issue would be loosing my balance, falling in the water and scaring all the fish away.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby John Harper » January 17th, 2013, 2:08 pm

A friend of mine caught a really big white seabass on her SUP off la Jolla a couple years ago. She also flyfishes the kelp beds for bass, etc.

John
John Harper

Postby philosofisher » January 17th, 2013, 8:21 pm

I'd probably prefer that over some sitting flotation device strictly for lakes, but given the difference in cost, I don't think I would ever get it. If I am going to spend that much money I'd want something I could use in both rivers and lakes (i.e. a canoe or kayak). The nice thing is that this is more portable, unless the canoe/kayak is inflatable too. In that case I guess I'd get an inflatable canoe or kayak before this just for the additional functionality.

Still a cool concept though. I generally end up standing up in both canoes and kayaks anyway and this would be much more stable.
philosofisher

Postby johnnhoj » January 17th, 2013, 10:33 pm

I'd definitely end up in the drink.
Go Lakers!
johnnhoj

Postby WadeK » January 18th, 2013, 5:00 pm

$1600 Ouch! I thought $300 for my Kickboat used was bad. I like the portability over my kickboat, and the lack of a profile for wind to catch, but other than that I don't see much advantage. As a matter of fact I see some disadvantages. My kickboat is rated for Class 3 rapids, and I've had it in whitewater that it handled fine, but I don't ever care to be in again. The Badfisher strikes me as something that wouldn't handle whitewater, or atleast not without a very skilled person on top. I've also had my kick more than a mile offshore in Monterey Bay. Capacity might be another problem. I used to fish Bass-n-Tubes tourneys in my kickboat with a livewell of ~150lbs on the back as well as ~50lbs for tackle, rods, lunch,... and my 230LB carcass. Now I like to use the capacity for overniter float trips. Standing up in my kick, while kind of a production, is doable currently and there are attachments for a full on leaning post casting platform that I have considered buying.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby mpeterson8 » January 18th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Awsome, but $$$$$!
How much does it weigh?
mpeterson8

Postby flocktothewall » January 20th, 2013, 9:46 pm

I rented a paddle board this last summer... NOT FOR ME, I'd be splashing all over the place scaring every fish for miles trying to get back on that thing.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby lucfish » January 20th, 2013, 10:00 pm

There's quite a few paddleboards here at Canyon, I've never seen anyone fish from one but I think I can safely say it wouldn't be for me, not nessesarily from the instability but I don't have 4 hands. When you get any kind of wind with one of those you would need 2 hands to control the thing and 2 hands to fish.
lucfish

Postby softhackleone » January 21st, 2013, 2:05 am

Cool concept but the price is way too steep. I can only imagine how it would be to maneuver around on a windy day. I'll stick to my Outcast Trinity for alpine lakes.
softhackleone

Return to General Fly Fishing