REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

well i made it...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

well i made it...

Postby anacrime » December 29th, 2008, 2:10 am

hey guys, checkin in from new zealand. got here last week and was stuck up in the city with family stuff get togethers and parties goin on. needless to say i drank more than i have in my life. it was torture being so close yet so far from the trout streams. i was able to nab a rare native fish, that are commonly called trout, in my grandpa's backyard stream. it's real name is kokopu, native to streams and swamps of new zealand. apparently they are getting rarer and rarer and they've had marine biologists come out to my grandpa's place to check em out. they are easy meals for trout so all rivers that hold trout no longer have large populations of kokopu. on a more exciting note, i was able to get a freshwater eel to take a fly as well. unfortunately he was able to spit the hook after a minute or so. i tried for 2 more days trying to get him to go again but he didn't want to come out of his hole. bummer.

finally made it down to taranaki this evening. there is a river running straight through down that holds browns. unfortunately it's been quite rainy so we'll see if it's fishable tomorrow. hopefully tomorrow night i'll be throwin up a pic or two of some trout 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Re: well i made it...

Postby anacrime » December 29th, 2008, 11:04 am

ya, 0wt 8-)

i was thinking, i don't think there are too many 0wts in the southern hemisphere. this might have been the first time a kokopu has been caught on a 0wt. pretty cool
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » December 29th, 2008, 11:08 am

Nice Shane. Glad to hear the trip went well and all. Hope your Christmas was great.

Congrats on the kokopu! Heh, sounds like a pikachu or something. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby rayfound » December 29th, 2008, 11:26 am

Pretty Cool shane... a fish with no scales...

Hope all is well, now go get a brownie.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby thtsarumr » December 29th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Glad to hear you got there safe and sound buddy. Take care and have fun. Awaiting the big fish *.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Eric » December 29th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Shane, good to see that your out and fishing already. Looking forward to hearing about your first big brown caught on the 00wt.
Eric
Eric

Postby Sasha » December 29th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Now that is something you don't see every day, great job on the eel :!:

Have fun down there you BJAC ;)
Sasha

Postby midger » December 29th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Congrats on a safe trip and enjoy learning the ropes New Zealand style. See ya when you get back.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » December 30th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Nice to see you're reporting already, can't wait to see more!
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby flybob » January 2nd, 2009, 1:08 pm

Wow, EEL on the fly, that's a new one on me!

Well Sir, sounds like you are off and running!

Happy New Year!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Return to General Fly Fishing