REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Do you pinch your Barbs down?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Do you pinch your Barbs down?

Postby fly addict » February 19th, 2013, 9:32 am

Here are a few examples of why you should always use barbless hooks and wear protective glasses when casting a fly rod.

Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Re: Do you pinch your Brabs down?

Postby RiverRat » February 19th, 2013, 9:36 am

I pinch them after they pierced flesh to get them out :idea:
RiverRat

Re: Do you pinch your Barbs down?

Postby Flatsix » February 19th, 2013, 11:35 am

Nice pictures! This should be a PSA from the barbless hook proponents with a support from Ray Ban.

I was fishing with Treecatcher last year and sent a size 16 through my finger and found that I hadn't smashed the barb completely. I found out that even if you thought that the barb is gone, it's not completely gone and it hurts like * to send it back through. So from them on I always buy barbless hooks if I can get them.
Flatsix

Postby Devinpreston » February 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I was fishing at Lake Havasu when i was a kid and hit my Mom with a crocadile lure in the face (still had the barb) and we ended up having to go to the Hospital and have it removed.
Devinpreston

Postby Jimbo Roberts » February 19th, 2013, 1:38 pm

I mash down the barbs on virtually everything. About the only ones I don't bother mashing down are the 22's and smaller.

I had to remove a bunch of hooks from various friends over the years. I also had a friend bury 4 of the 6 points on two treble hooks from a rattle trap in the back of my upper arm while Bass fishing at Lake Guerro around 1980. We were fishing out of our Bass boat and casting opposite directions. He reared back to launch one way out there, and was apparently standing too close for his long rod. He caught my arm at the end of the back cast before beginning the forward cast only to bury the hooks deep in the muscle. This was one of those times when the hooks could not be rotated through to mash the barbs. They had to be yanked out with a pair of needle nose pilars. The consolation was his reel backlashed so bad all the line had to be cut off. I still have 4 little round scars on the back of my right arm.

I've used a heavy mono loop trick to remove several hooks from anglers. It works surprising well.
I might also mention that in addition to wrap-around sunglasses, always use a full brimmed hat. That will help deflect most things coming back towards your ears. And when you find something coming straight back at your eyes/head, DO NOT TURN YOUR HEAD 90 DEGREES ! Youe best strategy is to look straight at it and possibly dropping straight down to avoid the hit. Turning your head 90 degrees is an instinctive act but when wearing sunglasses that just exposes the gap between your head and the sunglasses and I have seen flys/lures make it inside that gap. I removed a fly from a friend's upper eyelid because he turned his head.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby fflutterffly » February 19th, 2013, 1:59 pm

What was the verdict with the salmon fly? Was it just on the lid or actually in the eye. OMG that is a horrible photo!!!!!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby fly addict » February 19th, 2013, 2:46 pm

fflutterffly wrote:What was the verdict with the salmon fly? Was it just on the lid or actually in the eye. OMG that is a horrible photo!!!!!

There also were some real gruesome photos that I just could not stand to look at or post. I think the point was made. No pun intended!!!
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Papasequoia » February 19th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Those photos are like fish * - for the fish that is. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Jason » February 20th, 2013, 10:17 am

Ugh. I actually flinched when I saw that first photo. :sad:
Jason

Postby flocktothewall » February 20th, 2013, 12:27 pm

That first photo is hard to look at. My wife got it in the ear from my brother in laws back cast once. That wasn't fun. Needless to say she no longer joins us on the rivers either. I've had a few in the finger, and one in the lip as I was trying to wet the knot... now I know how the fish feel.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby Benny » February 20th, 2013, 12:36 pm

OUCH! Yes please pinch down your barbs.
Benny

Postby teejay » February 20th, 2013, 4:14 pm

That’s one fashion accessory that I will do without, thank you.
teejay

Return to General Fly Fishing