REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

My new Winston

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: My new Winston

Postby Sasha » December 30th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Sounds pretty sweet.....But we need pics man!
Sasha

Postby RichardCullip » December 30th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Sweet! I'm glad you finally got to touch your "new" Winston.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby JGray » December 30th, 2008, 9:27 pm

:D :D BLINGER!!! :D :D
JGray

Postby Flyjunkie » December 31st, 2008, 7:28 am

CRAIG,

Yeah Winstons are pretty Sweet Rods...
I own a Boron 2T 7 1/2 ft. 3wt. that is just Ragingly Great on Small streams.. and my Personal favorite, the Boron 2MX 9ft. 10wt. can cast that Baby all day, fight Burly Ocean fish and never get worn out... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Winston stack up against Sage rods in soo many ways..... I'd strongly recommend Folks to test cast Winstons when thinking of purchasing a Quality Rod...

Enjoy Your Winston, I know I certainly do.... 8-) 8-) ;) ;) ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Eric » December 31st, 2008, 8:50 am

DrCreek wrote:Pics ! Pics ! It means nothing without some pics to back it up ! ;) :lol:

Here is a pic of Craig hooking up with his new winston
Eric
Eric

Postby troutslayer » December 31st, 2008, 10:28 am

Congrats on your new Winston...I can relate I just got my new Winston in the mail from joining Trout Unlimited...Boron IIt 9' 5wt, with a Lamson Konic reel...can't wait to huck some bugs with it...now I just need the shirt..."Stalk softly and carry a green stick"
Success begets confidence and confidence begets success - and that fine upward spiral is the best restoration of streamside sanity - Howard T. Walden II
troutslayer

Postby Eric » December 31st, 2008, 11:27 am

troutslayer wrote:Congrats on your new Winston...I can relate I just got my new Winston in the mail from joining Trout Unlimited...Boron IIt 9' 5wt, with a Lamson Konic reel...can't wait to huck some bugs with it...now I just need the shirt..."Stalk softly and carry a green stick"

Troutslayer what did you give to TU to get a Winston?
Eric
Eric

Postby darrin terry » December 31st, 2008, 11:37 am

I was looking at that TU deal. $1000+ towards one of their funds and you got a Winston BIIMX I think. I am pretty sure TU or FFF did something similar this summer with a Sage ZXL 5wt used to sweeten the pot. Not a bad way to give and I assume Winston and Sage were donating the rods for that offer or half of them or something.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Chris Kuhn » December 31st, 2008, 11:49 am

My friend Richie let me use his BIIx 4wt on the Farmington one day, I caught one really nice brownie on it. That was one sweet rod.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby briansII » December 31st, 2008, 11:53 am

wildfly wrote:Though technically not "new", I had the pleasure of receiving my first Winston rod this past weekend courtesy of David. The rod is a Winston DL4 (older model) 9' 5wt, is the classic Winston green, and has a unique personalization. I don't have pictures yet, but I'll post some as soon as I get the time to take some. I'm really glad that I finally own a high end rod and though I like my Wright & McGill rods a lot, this rod is now my personal favorite. I have it paired up with my Lamson Litespeed Hard Alox reel which is sweet as well and the whole setup is just beautiful.

Thanks David! :D

Nice! Once you go Winston Green, you ______? :) I enjoy all of mine. The DL is a pretty sweet casting rod. Gotta real hot rod reel too.

briansII
briansII

Postby fly addict » December 31st, 2008, 3:59 pm

Craig,
Nice rod. I own a whole quiver of green sticks. Nothing cast or fishes like a Winston rod. That DL4 is a great dry fly rod. Don’t ever sell it! The DLs were only made a couple of years and have become quite desirable and collectable. Check out the Winston forum for more info http://www.winstonrods.com/home.html.

This spring I’ll bring up a couple of my Winston 6 wts and we can go fish for the smallies on the lower Kern. Let me know when they are biting.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fly addict » January 1st, 2009, 9:17 pm

wildfly wrote:
fly addict wrote:Craig,
Nice rod. I own a whole quiver of green sticks. Nothing cast or fishes like a Winston rod. That DL4 is a great dry fly rod. Don’t ever sell it! The DLs were only made a couple of years and have become quite desirable and collectable. Check out the Winston forum for more info http://www.winstonrods.com/home.html.

This spring I’ll bring up a couple of my Winston 6 wts and we can go fish for the smallies on the lower Kern. Let me know when they are biting.

Don't need 6wts on the lower for the smallmouth (unfortunately). The fish are quite small on average right now and I dropped down to my 2wt and 3wt rods to match up to the fish better. But yeah, I'm game! I LOVE the bass!

3wts work for me, Mark :)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby troutslayer » January 2nd, 2009, 9:02 am

Eric/Darrwin,

Yeah it was $1000 over a 10 month period, not a bad deal at all...initially it was for a Sage ZXL but they were so back ordered that they emailed and said I could chose a different rod. Choices were Sage Z axis, Winston LT, or the Boron IIt. Always wanted a Boron after casting Dave's all these years and wishing.
Success begets confidence and confidence begets success - and that fine upward spiral is the best restoration of streamside sanity - Howard T. Walden II
troutslayer

Postby dna » January 7th, 2009, 10:18 am

Welcome to the club :D . Now you have whole new obsession to deal with. I only own 1 Winston: BIIt 8'6" 4wt. It is basically the sweetest graphite trout rod I have cast. Winston action is my fav by far!
dna

Return to General Fly Fishing