REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Another Milestone

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Another Milestone

Postby briansII » April 3rd, 2013, 9:28 am

Last year, a couple(Helios & NRX spey rods)mass produced fly rods eclipsed the $1,000.00 benchmark. One year later, we go screaming past that mark to $1,200.00, and beyond.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/04/2013 ... od-models/

Further additions to the ONE series include two 6-piece spey models incorporating the same technology and cosmetics as the rest of the line. A 13-foot 7-weight and a 14-foot 9-weight will join this family as more travel friendly 6-piece versions. These two models provide traveling anglers more versatility, covering numerous casting and fishing styles for steelhead and salmon. Available May 1st, retail for the 7-weight is $1200 and $1275 for the 9-weight.

I've placed my pre-order on the 7wt. :bananadance:

Not. :PO:

I think this will be a good test to see if prices will continue to climb, or possibly level off.......some.

In the meantime, I'm sticking to not buying any gear in 2013.

briansII
briansII

Re: Another Milestone

Postby NorcalBob » April 3rd, 2013, 11:15 am

<<<In the meantime, I'm sticking to not buying any gear in 2013.>>>
IIRC, there was a poll that tried this "theory" earlier this year. I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now!!! :gun:
NorcalBob

Postby RichardCullip » April 3rd, 2013, 11:23 am

We are in the final stages of planning a kitchen remodel. Construction, or should I say destruction, starts on the 15th. I'm pretty much over the sticker shock by now and the winning bid sure makes that $1,200 Sage rod look pretty cheap.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby midger » April 3rd, 2013, 11:35 am

Hey,
You can't take it with you so you might as well enjoy it while you're here. I've got no problem with the prices as we have a choice whether to purchase or not, unlike some other "government" products.

And like Richard said, everything has a price and a lot of the prices hae went up dramatically the past 20 years or so (I also just finished a kitchen/total house remodel in the past couple of years).
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby duckdog » April 4th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Hey, you better get that new rod now. the value of the dollar is just gonna keep going down and the price of the resins and other materials is just going to keep going up. Not to mention all of the other BS that goes into producing and marketing a fly rod. ............ I sure do sound like some one trying to justify getting a new rod huh ?
Oh well--if the shoe fit's smoke it.
duckdog

Postby WanderingBlues » April 5th, 2013, 5:23 am

Madison River Fly Co will have them on super blow out soon enough!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Jimbo Roberts » April 5th, 2013, 11:29 am

I can't help it. I want new rods and the ones I usually choose are expensive. I build mine from blanks and that saves some money, but they don't always release the blanks for sale right away. Building my own also allows me to shape grips more to my liking. As small in diameter as some are today you'd think they were trying to cut costs using smaller cork rings to start with. I've also been using full titanium/sic guides on streamer rods and still save money over production rods. I need a major income bump to keep up with these prices, either that or start cutting back on bacon cheesebugers and BBQ.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby briansII » April 5th, 2013, 2:29 pm

duckdog wrote:Hey, you better get that new rod now. the value of the dollar is just gonna keep going down and the price of the resins and other materials is just going to keep going up. Not to mention all of the other BS that goes into producing and marketing a fly rod. ............ I sure do sound like some one trying to justify getting a new rod huh ?
Oh well--if the shoe fit's smoke it.

THIS!!

briansII
briansII

Postby 1mocast » April 6th, 2013, 3:32 pm

The real question is: Does the new stuff catch more fish? :pot:

(And I agree, you can't take it with you!)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Return to General Fly Fishing