REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The best way to kill a fish

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: The best way to kill a fish

Postby RJH » May 8th, 2013, 2:03 pm

It isn't against the law. To each his own.......
RJH

Postby Sasha » May 8th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hmmmmm, was going to type out some long reply; however, I will just agree with others in this thread...
Sasha

Postby WanderingBlues » May 8th, 2013, 2:29 pm

RJH wrote:It isn't against the law. To each his own.......

Say.... Wasn't below your response to Anacrime on the Wading the Other Side of HC thread?

"Just because it is not illegal, doesnt make it right.

RJH"

I'd have thought you'd be down for the cause on this, especially since it looked like it might have been an HC fish.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby RJH » May 8th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Yeah. You get the point. It is too bad sarcasm doesn't come through in typing.

I agree that fish shouldn't be put in the dirt and try to educate people against doing it.

I also agree that people shouldn't wade in H.C. and try to educate people against doing it.

It did look like that fish was a H.C. fish and I am down for the cause.

My above post was to point out the irony that people will say "to each his own" on one conservation topic regarding our resources and get all fired up about another one that has similar long term impact. I think I touched on that in the wading post.

And yes I stand by my statement that just because it isn't illegal, doesn't make it right.

RJH
RJH

Postby WanderingBlues » May 8th, 2013, 3:57 pm

RJH wrote:Yeah. You get the point. It is too bad sarcasm doesn't come through in typing.

I agree that fish shouldn't be put in the dirt and try to educate people against doing it.

I also agree that people shouldn't wade in H.C. and try to educate people against doing it.

It did look like that fish was a H.C. fish and I am down for the cause.

My above post was to point out the irony that people will say "to each his own" on one conservation topic regarding our resources and get all fired up about another one that has similar long term impact. I think I touched on that in the wading post.

And yes I stand by my statement that just because it isn't illegal, doesn't make it right.

RJH

I wondered if there was sarcasm in there. I was thinking 'no way he's going live and let live on that..' Maybe we need a sarcasm smilie or something. haha.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Wildman » May 8th, 2013, 4:07 pm

"I wondered if there was sarcasm in there. I was thinking 'no way he's going live and let live on that..' Maybe we need a sarcasm smilie or something. haha."

Maybe Jon could find one like that?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby anacrime » May 8th, 2013, 4:40 pm

RJH wrote:It isn't against the law. To each his own.......

fish killer :booty:
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Sasha » May 8th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Ok, I have thought about it a bit and the first thing I have to say is wow what a <oops>. That reply tells me that that outfitter isn't worth a crap. It came off as if he was basically calling you a dumbass for even writing him. Well obviously this guy isn't a C&R guy to write a reply like that. So if he does ever read this I would like to say that while I do not live in Kalifornia, I will be sure never to spend one dime in that place when I do visit. I will also be sure that I tell my fellow C&R fly fishermen that fish in Kaliforna to never spend a dime in there.

Scientific evidence? Are you f....ing kidding me??? Sorry * but letting a fish flop around on the ground to get a pic isn't good for it. It does not take an ichthyologist to tell somebody that. Yes, we have all had our mishaps while fishing, to say otherwise would be a lie. However, to criticize somebody so harshly for pointing out the obvious (i.e. fish in dirt pic) is not the wisest business decision. Is it illegal, no probably not but that doesn't make it OK either. Yes I am afraid like Creek wrote; too many people don't give a crap these days.

Removal of slime is less likely with a wet hand than it is with a dry hand or on the dry ground. If you need proof of this I have an idea for you Mr. Outfitter. Next time you $!@% try putting it in dry vs. wet and see how much "slime" is removed. In your case it the experiment will work with anal sex as well...
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » May 8th, 2013, 8:36 pm

C'mon Sasha, tell us what you really think, willya? :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » May 8th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Idaho boys in the house. How long would an outfitter last up there with that attitude? I'm bummed because I've dropped some coin in there.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Devinpreston » May 8th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Not surprised by the response from Kent! He is pretty rude out on Crowley as well.
Devinpreston

Postby Sasha » May 8th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Papasequoia wrote:C'mon Sasha, tell us what you really think, willya? :lol:

Well you know me ;)

WanderingBlues wrote:Idaho boys in the house. How long would an outfitter last up there with that attitude? I'm bummed because I've dropped some coin in there.

Well in all fairness there are some shady Outfitters here as well. Can you say steelhead redd raping by one and fishing closed waters as well as * poor fish handling for another...
Sasha

Postby softhackleone » May 8th, 2013, 11:27 pm

JimboRoberts: Great post! thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have learned from your post. I think part of the issue is that some fisherman are not educated about techniques that reduce the mortality rate of handing fish, there are also those who don't care, and those that do not think globally about the impact of their behavior.
softhackleone

Postby EvGrin » May 9th, 2013, 6:47 am

Pretty sure you guys all saw my first couple posts. TERRIBLE handling. Launching brookies back into their holes. But then again,I'm not a guide..

I bought a rubber lined net from walmart for 20 dollars a few months ago. It isn't the deepest, But it works. Prior to having a net I use to use a mesh mit to tail the bigger fish. How does everyone feel about those? can't be good for the slimey coating... I have also tailed some large trout and pulled them out of the water only to feel their spine/back go pop pop pop pop pop(I crunch my back every morning the same way)... mesh mits? no es bueno?
EvGrin

Postby DrCreek » May 9th, 2013, 6:53 am

Devinpreston wrote:Not surprised by the response from Kent! He is pretty rude out on Crowley as well.

That's what I was waiting for... some on-the-water verification from a trusted forum member. I still think the best way to handle this issue is to discontinue doing business with him. He doesn't need to be confronted at all. Tourist dollars keep him alive, so (help) eliminate the tourist dollar. He will pay attention to a skinny wallet more than any email confrontation.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing