REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Manzanita Lake- Lassen NP

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Manzanita Lake- Lassen NP

Postby The Steady Foot » May 21st, 2013, 2:33 pm

I'll be doing a family trip to Sandy OR in early June and will stay 2 nights at the Manzanita Lake CG in Lassen Nat'l Park. I've learned quite a bit about the lake but have one really important question: can it be fished from the shore at many points?

We'll be driving a Prius, so no room for waders and I do not have a float tube. I'm bringing along an 8.5 ft. 4wt. to fish a few different waters along the way so that's my lone gun. Any tips would be appreciated, but most espcially on whether its fishable form shore with a short 4wt.!!
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Re: Manzanita Lake- Lassen NP

Postby WanderingBlues » May 22nd, 2013, 4:46 pm

In short, YES! Plenty of casting locations. I landed a couple of Cutts when we were up a few years ago. Have fun!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby The Steady Foot » May 28th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Great to hear, thanks. It turns out we will be taking my 4Runner instead of the Prius so I'll bring waders. Hitting the Rogue while visiting Crater Lake too so if anything noteworthy happens I'll be be sure to post.
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby WanderingBlues » May 28th, 2013, 5:12 pm

There are some feeder creeks to Manzinita as well, but check the regs on them. I know at least one does not allow for any fishing, but all were holding.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby The Steady Foot » May 30th, 2013, 10:44 am

Thanks for the tip. Estimated departure is 20 hours and counting. I'm hoping to contribute a good post in mid-June.
The Steady Foot

Postby Jason » May 30th, 2013, 11:14 am

The Steady Foot wrote:Thanks for the tip. Estimated departure is 20 hours and counting. I'm hoping to contribute a good post in mid-June.

Best of luck! Looking forward to a report........... I'll be up there in early September if everything goes according to plan.
Jason

Postby Bajacamp » May 30th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Manzanita Lake is on my Bucket List, looking forward to a report. Good luck up north......
Bajacamp

Postby beachbum » May 31st, 2013, 8:35 pm

It's my favorite lake in the continental US :) Sending you a PM.

p.s. I just typed a lengthy guide only to have it disappear when I hit submit. I will try once more and if you get it twice, sorry.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Return to General Fly Fishing