REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Information that is too good to share

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Information that is too good to share

Postby Ants » May 26th, 2013, 6:08 pm

I've been doing too much yardwork so my mind gets to wandering.

The fly fishing community is pretty gregarious and sharing - but, only up to a point. The general public get a dose of general information. Regular fishing buddies get the benefit of a lot more experience and learning.

However, is there some information that is too good to tell anyone. The information could be techniques, flies, or locations. I am not asking that the information be revealed, just whether there is something that gives a perceived edge and you want to keep it to yourself.

For me, techniques and flies can be common knowledge, unless I was given the information from someone else. If it came from a buddy, it is up to them for further distribution. I would be very picky about information on my local fishing spots. For me, the spots are somewhat predictable. If someone fished and removed my underwater pals, I would miss them.

Of course, the posts could get you in trouble with your close buddies.

Secrets?

Ants

PS. Robert Traver's book has a great photo of a fly fisherman hiding his tire tracks after turning onto a smaller road. The dirt road leads to a spot that seems to be too good to share.
Ants

Re: Information that is too good to share

Postby Pete » May 26th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Ants,
Better go back to the yardwork and let your mind wander on another subject. I am betting this topic won't get much in the way of "secrets". ;)
Pete
Pete

Postby Wildman » May 26th, 2013, 7:06 pm

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby RiverRat » May 26th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Like the golden spot in the GTW I showed you on the map? It can only be shared with Olivebugger or my lips are sealed, forever ;)

Even with good friends...hmm...gotta think before sharing sacred spots.

Good friends have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends...

shane
RiverRat

Postby Jimbo Roberts » May 26th, 2013, 10:25 pm

I think everybody has their secrets. Myself and my friends also have code names for certain spots that fish especially well. And as with most things this info is usually time sensitive. So sometimes you only need to keep the secrets under tight security for a short time. Other times it takes an iron will to keep a spot secret all year. Some secret places get busted because someone outside the circle recognizes something in the background of a picture. This was my mistake when many asked me to post pictures of my catch, because they didn't believe the stories. Now I am very selective about keeping some of the last few secrets I hold on the Guadalupe and other places. I may post a story on California, Colorado, or a Montana forums with pics of the river because they will not be able to take advantage of the location. Those same stories on the GRTU forum here in Texas may have a completely different series of pictures to keep those secrets. Of course the biggest secret is that secrets locations are not as good as superior ability, techniques, and experience. Better skills equal better fishing, but honey holes still need to be held close to the vest.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby darrin terry » May 27th, 2013, 12:04 am

yes
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Ants » May 27th, 2013, 6:18 am

Oops!

I guess my initial post was confusing.

Basic question - is some information too precious to share with anyone?
Not asking for the information, but rather the keeping of the information to yourself.

It is likely my question is too subtle for a very sensitive topic (as well as a poorly phrased topic).

Ants
Ants

Postby RiverRat » May 27th, 2013, 8:50 am

Ants wrote:Oops!

I guess my initial post was confusing.

Basic question - is some information too precious to share with anyone?
Not asking for the information, but rather the keeping of the information to yourself.

It is likely my question is too subtle for a very sensitive topic (as well as a poorly phrased topic).

Ants

You'll get nothing out of us :doh:

Nothing wrong with being mysterious and confusing when talking precious fishing info. Ever notice how peoples ears start flexing when spot info is the subject?

Everyone has a family member who keeps his worms in a Folgers can, shhhhhh!

shane
RiverRat

Postby DrCreek » May 27th, 2013, 9:48 am

What a great post. You answered ALL of your own questions. Nicely done !!

There are three (3) places I know of that see NO FISHERMEN AT ALL. I've never even told my "closest" fishing buddies about them. All three are in the ES. Last time I visited one of them was maybe three seasons ago. The area looked the same - sans more overgrowth. But the 4x road leading towards the ravine in question was COMPLETELY OVERGROWN. That in itself was the BEST news. No vehicle tracks, no nothing. I believe the trout in those places deserve to be left alone. They're heartbreakingly innocent.

If its not roadside or well within stumbling distance, MOST fishermen aren't going to want to go there. I just love laziness. But I understand they're line of thinking. Lawn chairs and Styrofoam buckets filled with Keystone can be quite heavy to carry more than a hundred feet. I prefer to stand and walk, and I don't drink beer.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby darrin terry » May 27th, 2013, 10:09 am

No Ants, you weren't being too subtle. I think your original post was clear about what you were asking. The answer is yes, some places are too special or too good, for various reasons, to share with anyone.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby tomsakai » May 27th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Especially in the local mountains. There are some spots that have been generously shared with me when friends took me to fish them. I won't share those spots at all except to fish them with people who already know them.
tomsakai

Postby Papasequoia » May 27th, 2013, 12:20 pm

You'll never get me to divulge the true identity of the "Big Reedy!" Never, I tell you!! :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby lucfish » May 27th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Even with good friends...hmm...gotta think before sharing sacred spots.

Good friends have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends who have friends...

shane[/quote]

That is a fact. Since I joined this forum a few years back I have let a few people in on some of the places I know to fish and don't regret it at all. But even guides have places they won't bring there best clients to. It's nothing personal, it's just the way it is. You always have to keep something for yourself and even if there not totally "secret spots" if they are in your mind that's all that matters.
lucfish

Postby NorcalBob » May 27th, 2013, 6:52 pm

For me fishing is now a social thing and I don't/won't fish alone any more. It's just not fun any more for me to fish alone. So, if I wanna hit my honey hole, I gotta take a buddy along. No hogging or secrets just for me only. But, in order to get into one of my good honey holes you have to be a fishing buddy of a very high order, and my best honey holes only go to a select few buddies.
NorcalBob

Postby midger » May 27th, 2013, 7:54 pm

RiverRat wrote:

shane

This is pretty much how many places get spoiled. No bad intentions by most of them, but it only takes one of these many "friends" to be one too many.

I rarely tell anyone to go anywhere unless it is already a well known, well hit area. I don't mind taking some folks to areas I fish, and am generally willing to share flies, techniques, offer help, etc, but to answer your query, yes there are some things you just don't share, but not many.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing